PS3 or Stand alone Blu Ray ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Drumjim85, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I know there have been threads on this in the past, but things have changes since those where active, so I thought I'd make a new thread.
    My question is, should I buy a PS3 Slim or a stand alone Blu Ray player (specifically the LG BD390). They're both $300, both have internet streaming from netflix and youtube. So here's my pro/con list.

PS3 Pros
    -Video games
    -Big HDD for stored media.
    -Powerful linux box (for other modding if i want).

PS3 Cons
    -No IR
    -Fan / Drive noise
    -Heating (can't be kept in a cabinet)
    -Audio jitter has increased from previous models

The BD390 player will solve all the PS3 Slim's cons, but are the Pros worth it? The noise issue is a main concern.

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

The PS3 is virtually silent once the BRD starts playing. At least this has been my experience.

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

PS3............no questions ask......period...:eek:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only con from being an owner of a ps3 I can think of is the no IR which can be fixed with an adapter IIRC.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

The PS3 slim is very quiet. Any fan noise is obscured by audio from a film.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You're not going to run Linux on a PS3 Slim without jumping through a LOT of hoops.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I have a PS3 and am glad I got it because it is very versatile as far as BluRay playability goes. It's a bonus because it acts as a media center and can play the occasional game (though that is what my 360 is for). Get the PS3, you won't regret it.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The PS3 is a no brainer. Although those cons you mentioned don't really bother me (curious as to what IR devices you want to use with it) and audio jitter?

The versatility is the key thing you cannot look past. Plus you have virtually unlimited upgradability. If they come out with BD+++++ you'll be safe in knowing the PS3 will be able to play it.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for the same price? ps3

as the bluray profiles change, the ps3 will be able to meet the requirments. same cant be said for other players

10. beaner454 macrumors regular

I'm guessing a remote control.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If they're both the same price - PS3. But out of the 2 I'd go for a standalone since they're quite cheap now. £80 for a standalone unit against £230 for a PS3.

12. Drumjim85 thread starter macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Thanks for everyone's response. I think I've settled on the PS3 for the upgrade-ability, and the fact that I'll be able to stream so much more (hulu and others) with Playon.

-Yes the IR is for a remote. You can buy things to give it that functionality, but you shouldn't have to.
    -Jitter is an audio term having to deal with clocking, I'll probably never hear it in this setting, but it's a shame they've cheapened their product.
    -Cheap BluRay players are cheap. Less quality picture and longer (up to 2 minutes) load time.

13. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What I meant was, why would you want an IR remote when a bluetooth remote is better? I realise some universal remotes require IR. But also, the OP talked about keeping the unit in a cabinet, unless it was one with a clear glass door, the IR remote would be useless.

15. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

If you don't mind having another remote then there's no reason not to get the Sony PS3 BT remote. However as you say, a lot of people (myself included) use a universal remote (Logitech Harmony) as it is much more convenient to have one remote control that does everything. Without it I would have to use TV remote, amp remote and PS3 remote just to get a Blu Ray disc started.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Haha, yeah that complicated mess of remotes has just started getting to me. Although I would never shell out for a $200 remote.

I did get the BT remote when I got my PS3, and to be frank, it's more or less completely redundant (maybe not for those less technically minded, as it has dedicated buttons for subtitles etc).

17. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I hate my PS3 BT remote. It doesn't have any lights so I can't see the buttons in the dark room, and it doesn't work with any other devices. I have a remote I use for my 360 and it lights up and I can control my TV with it as well. But this is a small price to pay for a machine that can do so much more. I download 1080p content/movie trailers from my computer and play them on my PS3 with my thumb drive.