PS3 or XBOX360 with my Krudd Cheque

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ezekielrage_99, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Well the time is fast approaching 06APR2009 and if you're an Aussie that means one thing, $900 Krudd Cheque Day :D

So I've decided to do the responsible thing and and put the Government "Stimulus Package" (or vote buying gift) to really good use, to get myself either a PS3 or XBOX360 :cool:

I am still undecided and was getting a little sick of the usual gamers' blog answer to this age old question of which one is better so I though I'd ask for anyone's experience with either or both systems... Please none of the usual "PS3 iz sooo 1337" or "my XBOX craps on a n00b PS3"...

Either way Monday is fast approaching and I have $900 burning a big hole in my pocket ;)

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have a PS3 and I love it. I've always been into PlayStations and I've never played an XBox 360, so I might be biased.

I use it as a game console and a media hub. I have it connected to my wireless network so I can stream movies and music to it from my iMac. I also use it as my Blu-Ray and DVD player (I bought the remote for it).

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I own both.

What kind of gaming experience are you after? I'll be able to advise you then :)

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I guess it depends on what games you want to play...I had Playstation 1 and 2, the Wii, and Xbox 360...all I play these days is Halo 3 and COD 4 and 5...I stream movies from a Windoze XP System to the Xbox and it works quite nicely...

Cheers.

-J.-

5. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

The games that I would really like are on both systems... I like the look of Bad Company and CoD4. The thing that is putting me off the PS3 is the fact I can't play my old PS2 games on it while the turn off with an XBOX is the RROD and I've heard the media aspect of it is mediocre at best.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've heard that the XBox 360 is really loud, so I would consider that if that matters to you at all. I don't even notice that my PS3 is on unless I look at the light!

7. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I have and xbox 36o and my roomate has a PS3. Personally I like the 360 better b/c of the games (Halo mainly) and the controller (I love having actual triggers). The only thing I like about the PS3 is the bluray. From what I've seen xbox has better online (but you have to pay $50 a year) and in my personal opinion loading times seem longer on the PS3 (at least in madden) which doesn't make sense because it supposed to be more powerful.

8. solusoracle macrumors member

I have had a PS3 since launch and use it more for media streaming then games. Never had a hiccup whereas my housemates XBOX360 has broken 3 times in the same period (2 RROD and once where it scratched any disc inserted - Microsoft replaced the console but not his ruined games/DVDs).

9. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I only own a 360 but if you're looking at online multiplayer games I feel like xbox has a larger community for that right now. RROD isn't happening very often anymore as far as I've read recently so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And as someone mentioned, the machines are loud mostly because of the disc drive. But, you can install your game discs to your HD and play them directly from that. The disc only spins up briefly in the beginning and then it's all quiet for me.

I love my xbox 360, I would buy it again if I had the choice.

10. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

I have had a Wii and a 360 since their respective launches and last year I saved up and bought a PS3 - since then I sold my 360 and barely touch my Wii.

The 360 is great system, like others have said it is loud but has some great games for it if you like first person shooters and sports. It does not play blu rays and you have to purchase wifi for it. I also love the controller, and for online gaming the edge goes to the 360.

The PS3 is an amazing system - runs quiet, plays blu rays (great if you have a large flat screen, especially with 1080p), and comes with wifi. Game wise I think it has caught up to the 360, there are a few great exclusives like Resistance, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank, and a few others. The controller is actually pretty good as well, I thought it was not as good as the 360 but it is comfortable to use and better for fighting games like Street Fighter. Overall I think the PS3 is the better system and has more longevity than the 360 since the hardware is a little bit better. Online gaming is not as good as the 360 but they are closing the gap.

You cant go wrong either way though - buy one and enjoy!

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I own both also (newer 360 w/ 60GB drive and launch model PS3 w/ 60GB drive and PS2 compatibility).

My quick summary.

The PS3's hardware is superior. The Blu-ray capabilities of the machine are fantastic. It's quiet. However, its software library and online experience is lacking. Most third-party titles are developed specifically for the 360. Therefore, the same title on the PS3 is not optimized specifically for the console (graphics don't take full advantage of hardware, bugs and glitches have been present in some titles). PSN is a mess and no where near as easy to use as XBOX Live. In-game XMB is limited. In-game messaging and music are both very limited. Trophy support is not available on all titles.

At least in the United States, the PlayStation Store has nowhere near the downloadable content available on XBOX Live. Additionally, there's very little original PS titles for download, and the selection of TV Shows and Movies are limited compared to Live. On this front, Sony also only lets you download TV Shows and Movies once (Live allows you to download your movies as many times as you want during the rental period, purchased content like TV Shows can always be redownloaded). There seems to be a movement on the PS Store for more original games (Pixel Junk Monsters, Eden, Fat Princess, Ecochrome, etc) compared to Live's vast selection of arcade and casual games (Contra, Geometry Wars, Uno, Prince of Persia, etc).

The 360's interface and media streaming capabilities are superior. It'll take whatever MPEG-4 based file you throw at it (.m4v or .mp4 doesn't matter). The PS3 is very picky with regards to MPEG-4. It doesn't support .m4v, and has limited support for .m4a (no album art, no meta data). The 360 can double as Windows Media Center extender. You can also schedule downloads via XBOX.com.

The PS3's interface is clean, but I personally don't like the computer folder/directory structure-like feel. Even though the PS3 is a DLNA device, I've had problems streaming to it (Sony has tried to fix these problems with recent firmware, but I still get drop-outs).

There have been several articles that have popped up on the development of the PS3. Apparently, Sony's hardware team developed the hardware and just handed it over to the software team, and you can really tell.

In a broader sense, I'm worried about Sony. There seems to be infighting going on between all three major PlayStation divisions (SCEA, SCEE and SCEJ) about what the PS3 is supposed to be. Personally, I would like SCEJ to leave the PS3's software interface and development to SCEE (they were responsible for the new PlayStation Store interface, which was based on the SingStar Store interface, and Home under Phil Harrison). I think SCEE has a broader vision for the PS3 as a online home entertainment/hardcore and casual game device (PlayTV, the new music video service, Home, Buzz, SingStar, Little Big Planet, etc) than SCEJ could ever understand.

I think the potential of the PS3 is much greater than the 360 in terms of the future. However, until Sony's Japanese execs let go of the notion of the PS3 as a "computer" and realize it's a "home entertainment device" it's going to remain in last place in at least the North American market. Possibly even the European and Australian markets (although it's currently in second place, I believe).

But that's just my opinion.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

13. mrj205 macrumors regular

I currently own all three current systems.(360w/60gbHDD,PS3w/80gbHDD,Wii) I have owned the 360 and Wii for about two years now, with the PS3 being a more recent purchase about 4 months ago.

I think you first need to figure out what you really want to be able to do with the system. While both are gaming consoles, they each have their distinct advantages.

The PS3 has an obvious advantage on the media format. When I use my PS3 to play games or watch Blu-Ray on my 50" 1080p plasma, it is amazing (HMDI is a must). On the other hand, if I connect my 360 using component HD cables to the same television, it can't compare to the quality of graphics of the PS3. It is to my understanding that the PS3 is the only system that can output @ 1080p, making it have the best potential for graphics.

Check out the game libraries for each system. I personally don't have a particular niche, I just try out games and regularly play the ones I prefer. If you are more concerned with online gaming, the 360 has the advantage. While it is not free, xbox Live offers the largest library of online playable games. If you are interested in online game play, consider which system your friends and/or colleagues use the most. I kept my 360 around for this reason after getting my PS3. Most people I know play online via xbox Live. I think the online game play is equivalent between the systems with FPS like Call of Duty. It varies with other games.

A common issue for alot of people is the lack of triggers on the PS3 controller. Granted I did not like this, but after a week or so you won't really notice the difference. Things like the XMB and/or the interface between the two systems is vastly different, but like anything you do, time will help you adjust.

Also consider platform specific games. As mentioned beforhand, if you love Halo, go 360, if you like Resistance/Fallout/etc. go for PS3.

So to really answer the question, I would recommend whichever system will suit your needs the best. I think a PS3 is not used to its potential without an HDTV. If you want to get the most possible out of online gaming, then a 360 will probably best suit that need. If all your friends use 360, go that direction. If you don't play online (then you are missing out), then go with what you would like the most. 360 gives you the largest game library, but PS3 gives you full HD potential on compatible games and Blu-ray. You just need to figure out your needs.

Try to ignore the miniscule details like controllers, user interface, free online vs. pay per month online, and etc. Just focus on what you want to do with your system. If you weigh it out, you will be happy with your decision in the end. By the way, good job on being an economy booster.

mrj205

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I have owned both, and the system I still have is the PS3.

Personally, the PS3 is a media powerhouse, does all my gaming, my DVDs get upscaled, free online play (I think X360 was like $60 bucks a year for me), my photos/music, and blu-ray is simply amazing once you get a HDTV.

The only reason I can see in purchasing the X360 is for games like Halo, GoW 2, and PGR4.

But Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5 (when it comes out), Resistance 2, are all PS3 alternatives, that are VERY good.

15. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Oh come on. People are on here giving intelligent opinions about both systems and you have to go a be a fanboy. Both systems have high points and low points.

16. mrj205 macrumors regular

i was just about to say that...

17. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I had a PS2, but I've been an xbox fanboy ever since they came out. I actually just sold my 360 but I convinced my wife that I really need a new 360 Elite Resident Evil edition. So that's on the way. I hate Microsoft, but I will say that they have excellent customer service in regards to xbox live and the 360. I had some problems with my 360, but they always fixed it quickly and they usually hooked me up with an extra month of xbox live for free. Small, but a nice gesture.

18. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

PS3 Pros over XBOX:
    Blu-ray playback!
    Better hardware capability
    You don't have to pay to add on wireless
    You don't have to pay for the PS Network
    Silent operation
    Easy to upgrade the HDD
    Longevity
    Looks sleek
    Can add PSP to the system
    Can install another OS on the system via the setup menu

PS3 Cons over XBOX:
    More expensive
    PS Network not as good as X-Box live according to some
    Most developers are making games for the XBOX and porting to the PS3 resulting in some games that look better on the XBOX
    More games

I'm sure there are others that I haven't thought of yet. I decided to get a PS3 because of Blu-ray playback, easy upgrade HDD, built-in wifi and free PSN. I've also been put off by this red ring of death issue that has bothered some XBOXes.

Ohh, and one other thing... My colleague found his XBOX live account blocked the other day so he rang customer services. They told him that someone might have complained about his profile (without speaking to a human) which automatically puts a temporary 24 hour ban on the account. He was told that this can happen up to five times in one month before the account is terminated for good. When my colleague logged back in after 24 hours had elapsed, he found that his online profile had been completely wiped. So basically from his conversation with the assistant he surmised that someone could take a dislike to you and flag your account as being inappropriate or similar, and cause your account to be terminated. I find this hard to believe but my pal isn't the lying kind. Maybe he was given incorrect information though or misinterpreted what was being said? Can anyone corroborate this?

19. archipellago macrumors 65816

360, in a heartbeat.

better online, better games, better streaming media ability, better interface, better value. HD via download.

easiest decision you will ever make!

20. mrj205 macrumors regular

phakebrill-

for the most part, xbox live only suspends or terminates accounts based on user complaints. while people can complain about a user, xbox live doesn't just suspend users based on one complaint. your account must receive valid complaints, and those complaints must be similar in nature for xbox live to "suspend" your account. this is designed to prevent people from reporting you just because you laid waste to them in halo3. xbox live admins then take that suspension to investigate your reported "inappropriate content". if they see it fit, they then continue to terminate your account.

it is mostly due to suspicion of "modding", or altering your system to give you a game play advantage. since there are also users of all ages on xbox live, they may also report you for using excessive inappropriate language, tones, or slurs against other users. they have a code of conduct, and it is mostly user enforced and reported. therefore, your colleague must have did something, or some things, that were against the code of conduct, and it was verified by the xbox live admins, leaving his account terminated.

i agree when you say he is confused and not lying, but i get heated occasionally when playing online. if he crossed someone's line, they probably reported him. and more than likely he did it enough times to call for disciplinary action.

so yes, people can be pricks and report you for useless reasons, but it takes some consistency in complaints for xbox live to really look into it. check out this link, it explains why/how you can be reported.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908640

there is also a forum where a handful of xbox live users share their suspension stories. keep in mind most people don't think they ever did anything wrong. more than likely xbox live admins will not take the time to explain why your colleague was terminated. since it happens regularly, the would not be likely to put in the time addressing every users plea to not be terminated. he can always try to just sign back up with a different username.

forum:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=636971

hope this helps.

mrj205

21. -SD- macrumors 6502

I have an Xbox 360 hooked into the Mac that I solely use for XNA Game Studio. I'll give M$ their credit where it's due: XNA has been a fun and entertaining way of learning C#. The 360 hardware however is an absolute nightmare, I held off until February to make sure I got a 'Jasper' 60GB unit.

For my main entertainment I have a PlayStation3 in the living room hooked into the surround sound and LCD telly. It streams all my video files perfectly, it upscales DVDs lovely and it's a cracking Blu-ray player.

I'm much more into my arcade games, so I'm perfectly happy with the PS3 software lineup:
    GTI Club+ (PSN)
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix (PSN)
    Street Fighter IV
    Battle Fantasia
    King of Fighters XII (this Summer)
    BlazBlue (this Summer)
    Outrun Online (Euro PSN very soon)

Oh, and WipEout HD is worth buying a PS3 for. It's £13 on the PSN and a truly incredible game.

:apple:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Neither. Get a PSP and DS Lite.

The PS3 library is getting awesome now. It took a while but Killzone, LBP, MGS4 are all stellar titles whilst downloadable games like Warhawk, Echochrome are quite addictive.

The 360 has a larger library, the best online experience and the games are more standardised (all have achievements, 720p minimum res IIRC). But the 360's best titles just aren't as good as the PS3's best games.

I'm not fussed at all by the media playback/streaming abilities of either system. Oh and 360 controller>Sony's (for most games), IMO. Though more PS3 titles need keyboard and mouse support.

23. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I haven't had any problems with the PS Network. I've paid for XBL and to be honest the PSN does the exact same thing except its free. I haven't had any issues with lagging or dropping out connections and I play KZ2 online almost every weekend.

The PS Store is pretty under-rated, they've got a ton of great games and videos. The games are fairly cheap and you can expand your collection with some pretty good games. Then again you can do the same thing on the Xbox marketplace too, but you pay a hefty amount every year.

$60 bucks a year x 3 = $180 bucks in 3 years, from my perspective, you save money in the long run with buying the PS3. Money isn't a huge problem to be though, but I just found the PS3 to be the best console and package for me.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea the cheap price of PS1 games on the PSN store is bloody brilliant. I've already ripped my fave PS1 games but I missed out on a lot that the PSN has brought me instead. And I much prefer their payment system over the Wii's or 360's (fictional currency FTL!).
    But I like how you can set up mic chats with people in different games and just how connected it all is. Though as much as I like that sometimes I just like to sit back with the wifi dongle unplugged for some hassle-free gaming.

25. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Thank you for all of the great responses, they are really a help.

But ust a few final queries...

Where could I get a full list of the games on PSN?
    Which system has the better controller?