PS3 picture blanks out sometimes (HDMI)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I think there was a thread about this a while back, but it's not there anymore, and I don't know if the issue got resolved or not.

Here goes: Every once in awhile, the picture just disappears for maybe a second or so. Th tv indicates that it has no signal during that time. The sound goes on normally, no interruption. This has happened while watching a Bluray, playing a game from disc, and playing a game from hard drive (so no disc layer change!).

What could be the cause of this? How do I fix it? It doesn't really happen often, but it's somewhat annoying.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's just your PS3 changing resolution, and your TV adapting and accepting the change (HDMI handshake). Really nothing to be concerned about and absolutely normal.

Move on, nothing to see here ;)

3. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

If it happens before the game or movie starts thats perfectly normal, but if this is happening while you play or watch a movie, then something is wrong.

4. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

It's not the change of resolution, unfortunately. It happens in the middle of a game/movie. In fact, it has ruined several jumps in Eden for me recently, cause for a second I couldn't see where I was flying. :(

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Is your HDMI cable shaky...you need to check your connection...if all else fails then reset your PS3 and set it up the way you had it again.

Bless

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Not yet, I only own one. I'll take a closer look at it & the connections when I get home tonight though.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Could be an issue with the cable, could be an issue with the HDMI handshake. I recommend turning off all your components, then turning them on in order from the TV to the PS3, to make sure all the components complete initial handshake appropriately.

HDMI is such a double-edged sword.