Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozigle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Is anyone aware of a way to play bluray movies from any region yet.
PS2 had these dvd to choose the zone and regular dvd have for most of them the "code" to enter but what about the ps3. Is there already a way to do so for the bluray??
I'm posponing a ps3 buy, but if that was available i guess i would go and buy one right away

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Don't know the answer to your question but... you do know they changed the regions for Bluray? I don't know what regions you are looking for though. For me America and Japan are now the same region! :D

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Remeber a good amount of BluRay movies are region free. Nearly all from Paramount are region free and a good share from Warner Bros & Universal are also.

I've bought a lot of european BluRay movies that are region free and hence play perfectly on my import PS3. Pirates of the Carribean being the last I bought....

bozigle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yop i was talking about the bluray movies capabilities.
The thing is in Europe we have about 80 BD movie available to these days and as the games are region free i'm seriously considering a PS3 US rather than a EU one.
But of course that would also mean that when walking in store... i just couldn't buy anything, unless of course those are region free (WB and Universal) or there would be a way (special BD or code) that would allows the PS3 to play any regions like it did for the PS2 and the Dvds.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm sure eventually someone will crack the region check and release a boot disk or such. That's one thing HD-DVD got right - no region

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.