PS3 Remote registering tip

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by whooleytoo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just bought the Bluetooth remote for my PS3, but it wasn't registering (pairing) with the console despite repeated attempts.

Found several solutions from people with the same issue (turn off the game controller/turn console off for a minute then on again/turn off wireless networking/remove battery from remote control etc..)

Weirdly, this worked:

I turned on Bluetooth on my MBP and scanned for Bluetooth devices (to see if the remote was even powered - no status lights on it); while I held down the Enter & Start buttons on the remote. The second it appeared in the device list on the MBP, it also registered successfully on the PS3!

It would seem there's something wrong with the PS3's Bluetooth 'handshaking'. When the MBP kickstarted the pairing process, the Remote and game console paired just fine.

Hope this helps..

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's really weird. I paired my remote with my PS3 in about 5 seconds. Must be a glitch in some of the remotes?

Anyways, this is a good tip for anybody that does have this problem.

3. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

When I googled the problem, I found a lot of people with the same issue; though mostly from 2007 (I wonder is it a more prevalent problem with older PS3 models - mine is an older 40GB with the Sixaxis controller).

May be a problem with the console rather then the remote, but still, good to learn something new every day! :)

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have an original 60GB and my remote paired in a matter of seconds. I had my remote since the first day they released it too.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I bought my PS3 at the end of October in 2008, so I probably had the newer batch that didn't have the problem.