PS3 Running Leopard!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thisisarcadia, Apr 14, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Recently i discovered that you can download different os's on the ps3 and was just wondering if you can put leopard on a ps3? thank you

2. waffles123 macrumors regular

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think Leopard will run on the PS3's cpu.

I can't check right now, but isn't the PS3 based on an entirely different platform, not x86?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, completely different platform from x86. Or PPC, for that matter.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

even if OS X could be installed on a PS3 - it would run INCREDIBLY slow. you can check the benchmarks of Linux on it... it is a lot slower because most of the operating systems today can't take full advantage of the cell processor in the PS3

http://www.playstatic.com/news/218

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Googling Teh Interwebs ... I found several sites that seem to suggest that it is possible, but I cannot check them while at work.
    Like was said above, I would expect it to be slow since the cpu and os are not exactly compatible. I imagine something like running Rosetta - only for the entire OS.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Not true. Yellow Dog Linux PPC runs on G5s, certain generic PPC workstations, and PS3s. They are all PPC systems.

Not saying that Leopard will run (because of the driver issues), but they are the same CPU architecture.

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

No they are not. The PS3's cell processor is classified as a PPC cpu, it really is not. IT is quite different. There is more then just a "driver issue" stopping the PS3 to run OSX.

9. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

even if it could run, it would still run very very poorly. sony really screwed us on what we could do with the hardware in other operating systems. you remember that 200x ps3 cluster that cracked ssl earlier this year? it could have been done with 20 if the hardware wasn't so locked down...
    running on osx on a ps3 is about as much of a joke as a hackintosh. get a job and go buy another mac.

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

wiki on the cell:

wiki on the successor to the G4:
    The real proof you are wrong is that Linux PPC apps run on the PS3.

Check out http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/BOINC Clients.html You will note that the binaries for PPC are the same whether you are on PowerPC, POWER, or PS3. That is the entire point of PowerPC; one architecture, many chips.