PS3 Sales Boost 178%

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by e²Studios, Oct 17, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I know how you all LOVE to hear good news about Sony

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29633

Kudo's to Nintendo for keeping the sales up :)

Ed

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The price is still too expensive, I guess I'll end up getting one when there's a hardware improvement (PS3 Slim, most likely)...

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Can't wait to see the US numbers after the new 40gig sku (reportedly Oct. 28)...should indeed be a very 'green' Christmas for all 3 companies. ;)

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Unfortunately a 178% increase on there low sales isn't too impressive :rolleyes:

5. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

PS3 as potential but they sell it at a stupid price... less 150$ / 150€ and would be the king... but for the moment xbox is winning.

And the lesson is always the same: it can have the greatest technologies of all times... but if is expensive no one will buy..

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My apple usage shot up by 300% :eek:

Last week I used 1 :apple:
    This week I used 3 :apple::apple::apple:

See how percentages make anything sound impressive ;)

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yey for our little island!

Reason to celebrate?

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, if not for the PS3, it's also Hump Day!

Hopefully, Sony will keep up this sales trend....

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If they release a new SKU every 6 months.

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It's now affordable. If they we're loosing money at £425 a system, they are bound to be at £350...

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hahaha, seriously we haven't sold a PS3 in a few weeks and I work for a very large retailer in the states.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

178 people bought it this month as opposed to 100 people last month.... :p

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The price is still too high for me as well, but I think the XBox 360's price is too high as well (I don't pay over $300 for a console). All those who say the 40 GB PS3's too expensive but bought a 360 Premium are being hypocrites though, since the Premium was the same price the PS3 is now, and also includes WiFi and Blu-ray and you save $50 for not having to buy Live.

A 360 Premium + Live = same price as a PS3, and you still lack wireless and have half the hard drive space.

Sounds good for Sony. PS3's still doing okay in Japan. Now let's see Sony shape up and catch up in the US some. Competition is good.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, there will be money exchanging over big time this season and each company will have a mouth full. Theres still alot of people that want PS3 and maybe they might make the jump.

With the games that are present(the good ones) and about to come out its going to be a good season for Sony.

Any boost is a good boost....plus this goes to show that they made a wise decision with the 40Gig.

Bless

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Agreed.

I don't own either of the heavy-weight consoles, but i must say- it is fun watching the battle rage across the world.

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

That's an increase TO 178% not a 178% increase. Big difference.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Here we go again.

I won't pay more than $399. I just want a great console that plays great games. The $249 Wii is an even more comfortable price.

Looking at the Circuit City ad over the weekend, they had all three on the same page. The $599 PS3, the $349 XB360, and the $249 Wii. Doesn't look too good for Sony right now - and the $399 PS3 here in the US is still a rumor... doubtful since they are giving us 5 free Blu-ray movies instead.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, it's different since the $399 PS3 is not out here yet. But we're discussing UK sales where there's a $399 PS3 out.

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

just to give a little heads up, virgin megastore have an awesome deal on right now, where you get and old 60gig ps3, 2 games and an extra six axis for £350...sure beats the hell out of getting the 40gig one thats just lost 2 usb ports, the memory card reader and backwards compatibility, and is only £50 quid less! my mate picked one up on monday and it is ace, although i still prefer my wii, and yes that is just my opinion and no more!

either way, i think the drop in price should start moving them off the shelves. as a cheeky question though...is there any way in which the 40gig models are better than the older 60 gig ones?

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No.

22. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

(elaborating)
    You lose any chance of backwards compatibility on any of the new skus; if that's not a definite "no" (whether the new ones are better) than I don't know what is. ;)

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem here is €349 is actually a very good price for a 40gb PS3 - compared to what you get for €279 with the Wii and €299 for the 360.

But there has been so much negativity and aversion over the price the PS3 launched at, that to some the only way the PS3 would be priced right is if it came in cheaper than either of the other two - irrespective of the actual hardware advantage over either the 360 or Wii (HDD space, wifi, HD over SD etc...)

But this is just silly and coming from people who really have no interest in buying one anyway.

Those that were holding off for a price drop, will probably be enticed - especially as BC is really an over emphasised & over rated feature for 95% of people. Especially a year after a consoles launch, where there are enough titles on the shelves and coming out shortly - that if your only playing ps2 games on your ps3, then you maybe shouldn't have bought one anyway.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

when better games come out, i'll think about getting a PS3 - mainly Gran Turismo 5

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz