PS3 slim or fat?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ozreth, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I bought myself a 320gb slim today but I got to thinkin...maybe I shoulda got a fat?

I still love my old PS1 RPG's (more so than and ps2 or ps3 game). Im a diehard classic rpg guy so anything ps1 and before is my fav. With that being said I've wanted to get into the newer games so I cracked and got a ps2.

I know I can still play my ps1 games on my ps1 or ps2 but it would be convenient to have an all in one system. Also, the ps3 fat can:

- Stand up with a stand
    - Have linux installed on it
    - May or may not look better (i havent decided yet)

I guess HDD size isnt too big an issue as I can drop a new HDD in there myself...

so those of you with experience with both, what do you think?

2. macdim macrumors 6502

Well I assume when you say get a fat one that you would find a used one. In that case you would have to be careful to get one that has backward compatibility, because not all the fat ones do. I think only the original batch did.

Also, unless you jailbreak it, you won't be able to put Linux on it if you want to connect to PSN at all. Reason being that with the new updates, Sony has removed the Other OS option in the menu and unfortunately you need the latest software to connect to PSN and play games online.

3. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Slim PS3s can play PS1 games, just not PS2 games.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think they call it "jailbreaking" when you hack or mod your PS3. The term used for PS1 and PS2 was "modding".

I'd stick with the slim if it's PS1 games you're worried about.

5. macdim macrumors 6502

Debatable, but the concept is the same. Remove restrictions imposed upon by the manufacturer to add features.

6. jampat macrumors 6502a

I would stick with the slim, it uses something like 1/4 of the power of the original PS3.

If compatibility is really important to you, wikipedia has a good table showing which version has which features (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3). Make sure you buy the correct version or you will be no better off than you are now.

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Not only that, but in a wonderful (but typical for Sony) act of hubris, Sony loudly touted the backward compatibility of the PS3 ... then removed it quietly after the first version.

8. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Slim can stand up too

Also Slim won't get YLOD like Fat will. Mine got YLOD and 3 of my friends did as well, and its funny cause we all got it within 2 months of each other, and Sony said pay 150 or else.

9. Communism macrumors newbie

Communism

aren't the fat ones the older ones? and the slims the new ones? i'm getting one of the holiday bundle ones from gamestop [comes with god of war collection and god of war 3, couldnt say no] and aren't the new ones the slims? just checking.

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I went from a fat to a slim.
    The slim uses less power, and is quieter, and better air flow - less dust inside.
    Also the fat PS3's that were able to play PS2 games are very old now (original launch ps3). Their blue ray lasers are failing by now. And With the PS3 you can't just go and swap out the drive as the drives are mated to the console/main board.

As for linux: You can only install linux if the firmware has not been updated. If it has, you can't install linux. If you don't update the firmware then you can't play games online.
    Also, linux on the PS3 kind of sucked. It is fun for all of 5 minutes when you get to say "I have linux on my ps3!", but then that wares off and you are left with a very slow OS as it has limited ram and no proper graphics drivers.
    The linux community on PS3 was just starting to take off when sony removed that capability.

Nope, For PS3 it is jailbreak.

11. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

Definitely stick with the Slim, for all the reasons mentioned above. I had a friend who set out on a quest for the holy grail (PS1 and 2 compatable machine after launch) and it nearly drove him mad. Simply not worth it.

The only cool thing I have ever seen done with modded fat PS3's was the Defense Department linking 1,760 of them into a discount supercomputer. Supposedly a tiny fraction the cost/power/heat of a mainstream equivalent. They worked directly with Sony on that project.

... And I'm pretty sure you didn't have that in mind.

12. Skwink macrumors member

No they are not. If they are, I would like to know why my games work fine still.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No, it is failing! lol but yea, I agree these things last a long time. I mean, the optical drive on my dreamcast still works, as does my gamecube!

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I've got both, a launch 60GB EU model and a 250GB EU Slim. Both of them are standing upright, the fat without any stand, and the official stand added to the slim.

The slim is quieter, although not by that much as the PS3 was never anywhere near the noise levels of the 360, but I've had no problems with YLOD or a failing optical drive. The most annoying thing for me is that the EU PS3s never had PS1/PS2 full support built in, so I've been keeping half an eye out for a US 20GB model...

Personally, I'd buy a new slim model. Less power, quieter, warranty and all that. The fat models don't really offer you any advantage beyond the backwards compatibility.

15. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Coincidentally, I've had the optical drive fail on 3 consoles, all from Sony. One was my PS1, and the other two were on both of the PS2s that I owned. Though, my PS3 is fine so far, aside from the eject button not working all the time, and the fans spinning up to 100% during movies on occasion.

16. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Maybe I should have worded it better. Not all have failed or will fail. The original PS3's are prone to have the drives "die". Just because yours is fine, does not mean that it is not true.

17. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I have the original 60gb model and I think it's the best one. Ps2 games, 4 usb ports, and also memory stick ports. Mine has not crapper out on me yet and I even put a 500gb hard drive in it.

18. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

As far as I know only the original launch PS3's had full PS2 support and they are pretty rare and get high resale values, a PS2 is much easier to find.
    I would had got and kept a lunch PS3 but I got a 360 instead which I then traded for a 40GB PS3 which then went to a 120GB Slim because I wanted a bigger HDD and with the trade in deals and money I got for christmas and vouchers it was easy and cheap.
    I love my slim and think it looks better, but that's personal opinion.

19. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I was quite disappointed when that happened. I got my PS3 not long after they stopped selling the one with backward compatibility. But after I got my PS3, I realized there aren't any games that I would want to play that I had on my PS2. I can only think of two off the top of my head right now: GTA San Andreas (I never managed to finish it cause my PS2 broke once and then later my game got too scratched up to work) and the Metal Gear Solids released for PS2 (since I never played them and I Loved MGS 4).

But I totally understand that other people greatly value the backwards compatibility.

20. Tonepoet, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

There are some points in favor of the Playstation 3 Slim for home theater junkies:

The first is that it can bitstream lossless 7.1 surround sound via HDMI. This may or may not matter pendent on your A/V/ reciever, since the Fat can still send 7.1 surround sound, it just has to be decompressed into linear PCM first.

The second is that it's Bravia Sync (CEC) compatible, meaning if you hook it up to your home theater via HDMI, you might be able to make use of fewer remotes while watching movies. The functionality will be somewhat limited though.

There's also a screen accessory Hori built for the slim if travel's ever a concern, albeit it's rather small/expensive and lord only knows how you'd actually power it on the road.

A little known favor in the point of the Fat models, at least for those who care, is that some of them can play the obscure SA-CD format, albeit with limitations.

That's not entirely true actually, there were multiple versions of the Fat that had PS2 compatibility. I think the last model to have it was the 80G MGS4 bundle. It is true that PS3s produced after that, fat or slim, didn't have it anymore. I hear typical rule of thumb is to look at how many USB ports it has: if it has 4, it should have 'some form' of backwards compatiblity, if it has 2 it probably doesn't. (I'm not entirely 100% sure about this though and would recommend further research in some of the links othes have provided above.)

It is true that only the launch models had full backwards compatibility because they used an actual Emotion Engine, which was the GPU used in the PS2. Later units that have PS2 compatibility use software emulation in the E.E.'s place which makes their performance rather spotty in comparison, with slowdown, choppiness or outright freezing during certain points in certain titles. However in saying that I should also mention that these later units are also (marginally) less failure prone though.

One final note on backwards compatibility is really weird. Sony has to include updates to the firmware to give a controller permission to work in the PS2 mode. This is something they haven't done since they stopped producing backwards compatible models. This means that many controllers, including officially licensed ones like the Hori Real Arcade Pro Premium VLX won't work with PS2 games. It's rather horrifying since Hori made backwards compatible joysticks in the past, especially considering the VLX's $300 price tag. This doesn't seem to apply to PS1 games though, thankfully rendering the point almost rather quite moot for my purposes.

On the other hand, any PS3 can play PS1 games making my preference almost rather quite moot as well. Still, playing Disgaea: Hour of Darkness at the couch using the PS3's blutooth wireless controller is still a rather quite cozy experience though and one pleasure you just can't get with the slim. I think it's especially nice with the Sixaxis since it's as light as a feather because it doesn't have the weight of the Dualshocks' Rumble motors pointlessly weighing it down.

BTW have you ever played Disagaea Ozreth? Based upon your stated preferences, it might just be worth swaying you to the Fat for the PS2 compatibility. In a nutshell it's a very fun PS2 game very much in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics, except with a greater emphasis on humor. Admittedly the units aren't as flexible as they are in FFT since you can't really mix and match most of the different abilities. However there's a lot you can do to increase the powerlevels of more or less everything, the Geo Symbol system adds a very interesting elements to the maps, the game's packed with lots of gameplay mechanics to manipulate and there are even randomly generated dungeons to explore in the form of item world...

21. pcypert macrumors 6502

This doesn't really add anything but just throwing it in there as I've seen it pop up in debates before. I can confirm that the new 160 gig slim is dual voltage. Bought in US and brought it over to Asia and it's working fine. Sometimes people will say the fat is capable of world travel, but slim is too....and it just looks a lot less dorky sitting near TV :D