PS3 slim or PS3 fat

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by black iphone, Jan 26, 2011.

1. black iphone macrumors newbie

Now that the prices on PS3s has gone down a little, I'm looking into buying a PS3. I have no idea how the PS3 jailbreak or what it does but I want to do it to my ststem once I get it. My friend said I should get the PS3 fat because of backwards compatibility.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Only the old ones are backwards compatible. The first generation had hardware support for PS2 games. Then the next generation had software emulation for some PS2 games. Then the last generation of fat ones had no support for PS2 games. They will all play PS1 games, but I tried it on my 47" LCD tv and it was so horribly blocky and pixelated that it was almost impossible to play. There were multiple versions of each generation so be sure to do plenty of research if you want backwards compatibility.

Edit: perhaps version would be a better word than generation, since I guess the slim is technically the 2nd generation of the hardware.

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Software emulation (2nd gen fat PS3) is actually a pretty good one. It's cooler than the first gen model, which I had and burned out after about a year and a half, and I've had my fat PS3 since 2008 and no problems. I highly recommend that model if you can find it (mine was bundled with MGS4 when I bought it) as it really is the best of both worlds. I play some obscure RPGs and I haven't found any in my collection that isn't compatible for the system!

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Go with the slim. Bitstream audio plus hdmi control (bravia sync) are worth it. Not to mention that the slim, I believe, is cooler. At least that is my impression when you compare it to the fat. I have both, but not in the same house.

5. Brettla macrumors regular

I just got done re-flowing the motherboard (using a heatgun on it) on a PS3 fat 1st generation, and after researching the fix it sounds like there are quite a few of the fat ones that have had problems with the YLOD errors, so if you buy a used one I would try to make sure that it isn't from the generation that those problems were common in. Is there any reason that you want to jailbreak it, or just for the hell of it, because that could cause problems down the road if they were to crack down on it like microsoft did with the 360's you could end up with a system that you couldn't use online.

I have seen a few online stores sell a new slim for $300 with a free $50 gift card.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd try to find the original 60GB model. I have had mine since 06 or thereabouts, and it has never had an issue, plus it will play nearly any PS2 game, which is great. I'd definitely pass on jailbreaking it, especially if you don't even know the benefits. I have heard it basically ends up being much more of a pain than its worth.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It really depends on if you're just going to play games and Blu-Rays or if you want to do 'extra' things like play PS2 games or install Linux.

I have a 20GB "fat" PS3 (now 160GB) that I bought on November 18, 2006, the day after launch day. To date, I've had zero problems with it. No overheating, no problems reading games, nothing. I credit that to good Sony engineering and actually putting out a product ready to be marketed (cough Xbox 360 cough). The "fat" PS3 does use more power, but I'm not sure it how much of a difference it really makes in the grand scheme of things.

I've only played PS2 games a couple times, never with any problems, but it's not something I care that much about so it's not something I'd really miss. I've also never installed Linux on my PS3 but I kinda like the idea that I could if I wanted to.

The only thing I dislike about my PS3 if the lack of Wi-Fi. Mine is the only model to ever be released with that capability, and it's annoyed me a few times, but overall it hasn't been a huge problem. But even if you do buy a "fat" PS3 you'll likely get one with Wi-Fi since the 20GBs weren't that popular and were discontinued fairly quickly.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true or not, since I've read opposing opinions, but it may not be possible to upgrade the HDD in the slim PS3 (if I'm wrong someone please correct me). This is a very valuable feature and one of the great things the PS3 has going for it. It was SO easy to upgrade the HD, like, easier than to do so in a MacBook, and also very inexpensive, since they use the same 2.5" SATA HDDs that Macs do.

So, in conclusion, it probably doesn't matter which you choose, especially if you're only going to use the basic functions.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

You can use any 2.5" laptop HDD in the PS3 slims.

It's the 360Slim that you have to use a specific model HDD.

9. rjbruce macrumors regular

My original 60GB failed. I reflowed the solder and it worked for about 1-1/2 months and died again. Reflowed a 2nd time and only worked for a day or two. Couldn't get it going again.

There was plenty of air flow, the shelf it was on was open from all sides, so it had plenty of air. Looking on some forums, seems it was not uncommon, so I would hesitate purchasing a used older model. My friend has an 80GB model and he has had no problems.

I've currently had the "thin" model for about a year with no problems, but miss the backwards compatibility.

10. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Are you running the latest firmware and able to log into the PS Network? If so, I think you lost your ability to install Linux. I know I did on my 80 GB 2usb (last fat version). I could be mistaken about the older models though. They removed the option after the slim ones came out.

Or jailbroken?

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I do have the lastest firmware and I was just on the PSN. You could be right about installing Linux though; to be honest it's never something I even looked into that much, it was just a cool thing to advertise when the PS3 was first released.

Also not jailbroken. I did read about the 'PS3 Break' the other day and was thinking about giving that a try, but I probably won't bother.