PS3 to Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBX, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

is it possible to hook up a ps3 to the apple cinema display? i assume i'd need some sort of adapter in between them? and what would that be?

thanks for info in advance

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've not actually tried it, but an HDMI to DVI adaptor should be all you need. They're readily available - a quick Googling should show several suppliers.

4. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

I've heard monoprice sells good, cheap cables

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

what about the sound though, fromw hat i understand dvi doesnt carry sound but hdmi does how could i gte sound then i may be wrong (most likely)

6. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Correct, a DVI to HDMI cable does not carry sound. You would have to hook up the PS3 via an additional hookup for that. Either the optical out or AV audio out would have to be used.

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

HDMI to DVI may work for games, but not for movies. The Cinema Display doesn't support HDCP which the PS3 looks for when sending a signal through HDMI/DVI.

Correction: If the monitor (or TV) doesn't support HDCP the PS3 won't output a signal over the HDMI port. This is according to the manual (read the hint down at the bottom).

8. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

In the Playstation 3s setup screen you can go into audio options and specify what you want to output the audio; the red and white RCA jacks, optical out, or HDMI.

Peace

9. danny_w macrumors 601

So those expensive ACD's don't support HDCP? Even the cheap Dells support it, so why can't Apple?

10. Russell2686 macrumors newbie

I would like to know this also, my friend is looking into hooking his acd to a ps3.

11. timestamp macrumors 6502

Apple hasn't really updated the ACDs in quite sometime. That is part of the reason.

12. ivan1234 macrumors regular

werd, and the main reason ACD's don't support HDCP's is because it doesn't even have HDMI inputs (which really sucks!). :mad:

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

FYI - you can get an adapter that goes from HDMI to DVI that will allow the PS3 to work on a monitor. They are cheap, and work just fine.

(remember, digital is either 100% or nothing - there is no such thing as "bad quality" when piping digital signal - so don't get hosed on a 90 dollar Monster THX HD Certified B.S. cable - when a 7 dollar one will work just as well!)

If you're planning on running a 50 foot cable - that's a lil different. ;) But for 99% of us, something like this will do the job nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-High-...ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1199479707&sr=8-2

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-MA...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199479707&sr=8-4

14. danny_w macrumors 601

That will work fine for games, but does it also work for movies? It sounds like HDCP is needed for movie playback, and the ACD does not support that (but a Dell 2007WFP should work fine with that adapter).

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I watch movies on mine, don't seem to have any issues. (at least, that I'm aware of) DVD, Blu-Ray and movies on my HD, too.

If a monitor taking a DVI feed can display video - then a PS3 giving that same feed (via HDMI/DVI adapter) should be able to as well. No?

16. danny_w macrumors 601

If the PS3 requires HDCP in order to output movies, and the monitor does not support HDCP, then no, it would not work. I'm only going by what others have said (that the PS3 requires HDCP). Are you using the PS3 with an ACD and watching movies with that combination?

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I have a dell 2007wfp - and It is HDCP compliant. Just looked up HDCP - what a suck that is. Copy protection system to prevent video-output signals from being split or recorded. :rolleyes:

So, if HDCP goes mainstream, and/or HDMI cables start being used on everything - no more splitting cable to other screens or TVs. D!ck move, IMO.

So yeah, if the ACD is not HDCP compliant - it would appear that it will not work properly with a PS3, in spite of the HDMI/DVI adapter.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

FYI, HDMI/HDCP is already mainstream. Soon enough RCA will be depreciated.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

And what a shame that is, too. Too many people look at the obvious advantages such as reducing the number of cables and connections, and get sucked into all of the DRM junk that goes with it (probably without even realizing it). And unfortunately not even component video is an option, since most dvd players and sources won't output the highest resolutions over component if they also have an hdmi connection (and more and more sources are deleting the component video outputs altogether).

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

With the format war basically over you can pretty much guarantee that the ICT will be turned on much sooner than originally agreed to. So yeah RCA is pretty much screwed.

21. danny_w macrumors 601

Just that much more reason to keep my old RP analog tv. I don't watch much of anything that hdtv would improve upon anyway (mostly 40's film noir movies, so all 4:3 format b&w). And one more reason not to waste my money on an hdmi a/v receiver (I do need a new one though - perhaps a Denon 1707); by the time I need hdmi the standards will have changed again anyway. My :apple:TV and DVD players all have component out, and my DirectTv DVR has S-Video, so that should last me for quite a while yet.

22. timmystets macrumors newbie

timmystets

30" MAC Cinema Display - Playstation 3

I really want to get my PS3 hooked up to my MAC Cinema Display.

Is this really all I need?

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

no. it won't work. you can't hook it up the apple display

24. timmystets macrumors newbie

timmystets

25. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

That So Sucks

i too wanted to do the same thing.