PS3 to MacBook Pro HD with Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AgentDuk, May 21, 2011.

1. AgentDuk macrumors newbie

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get my PS3 to work on a 15" MacBook Pro (2011) in HD with audio so that I can capture the gameplay I want while also providing live commentary.

I use ScreenFlow to capture my audio and video.

Products:
    MacBook Pro 2011 15"
    120GB PS3 Slim
    Plenty of HDMI cables
    ScreenFlow

Purpose:
    Trying to get gameplay footage with audio while recording my own live commentary using ScreenFlow.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!

2. artic5693 macrumors member

Unfortunately, you can not as the MBPs have no video-in. :(

3. MadMac84 macrumors member

That's true that the MacBook Pro doesn't have video in, but that isn't the biggest problem. The PS3 has an encrypted video out over HDMI, which means that even if you did get an HDMI capture device it wouldn't work since I think there are laws against producing and selling such devices.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't use the component video out from the PS3 as your source, which honestly, after you encode the video, will be extremely similar to HDMI.

While I have no ideas on how you can use OSX, I do have a very good solution for capturing an HD source in Windows. Check out the product from Hauppauge called the HD PVR. It allows you to connect a component video source and capture it over USB in H.264. It would then be very easy to edit that footage in just about any video editing software. Results that I've seen look just like the original digital signal.

HD PVR Link

If you are dead set on using OSX, then you might be able to get good recordings through Parallels or VMware, but that will be a lot of data that will be recorded, so I wonder if it might drop some frames if you're in some kind of VM.

4. papo2 macrumors member

Check out the following link. Nice Mac app for use with Hauppauge HD-PVR.

HDPVRCapture Link

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

There's always the iSight cam ;) Just aim the screen at the TV lol

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

All the cool kids on chewtube record their XBOX 360 0SCOPEs w/ the HD PVR. Commentaries are added later. You should be focusing on the game, anyway.