PS3 US Vs EU Bluraydisc(films) info

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bozigle, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bozigle macrumors regular

Does any one tried to play a regional protected bluraydisc (movie not games) in a ps3 from an other region?
    Is the PS3 rejecting the disc all together or does it ask if you want to change the zone few time?
    I'm seriously considering getting a ps3 but with the choice of BD we have in Europe (about 80 titles...) i would like it to play US titles rather than EU's one.
    So my dilema is to know if i should get the ps3 from US as well. Clercks at video store couldn't answer better than "problably... i'm not sure..."
    thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Errr your assuming EVERY DISC is region protected. They are not!

Look on the box. If it says B, then its just for Europe If it says A, then its just for the states. If it says ABC then it's multi-region.

I have a USA PS3 and loads of Euro blu-ray movies, so I assume vice-versa in your instance should be no problem.

www.movietyme.com, basically a good site for checking if the usa blu-ray disc is region free.

3. bozigle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

no i was not assuming that all BD are encoded and i specified regional protected for that purpose but didn't express myself well i guess.
    The second link is great, and that is true that as long as the BD are not specifically encoded, which i would really hope, i can definitely check my US purchases and be sure that they would work on a EU ps3.
    The problem is that title in the future are likely to be encoded specifically and at that point it would have been good to have the proper machine (also by then ,Bluray players might come at a nice price and buying a new piece of equipment might not be a big deal... )

No my question is more: buying "sunshine" that is region specific, form US will result in what , when inserted in a EU ps3

a) throw an error and eject the BD
    b) ask if i (permanently) want to change region on my EU ps3 into US
    c) play the disc
    d) none of the above

thanks

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If the Blu-ray movie is from an unsupported region you will just see an unsupported region message. You will not have an option to change regions.

5. bozigle thread starter macrumors regular

harggg
    damn it! so i have to get the ps3 from US.
    thanks very much

6. cata696 macrumors newbie

ps3 eu vs us

hy,can any1 tell me for sure if there are any differences between ps3 console from US and the one in EU(about games, movies ..) ?

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm sure the plug on the machine is different.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Expect just about all Blu-ray discs from here on out to be region encoded, now that the regionless HD DVD is gone...