PS3 with External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btdoyle2, Sep 20, 2010.

1. btdoyle2 macrumors newbie

I am not very computer savvy and just got an external hard drive to store my itunes on. I now have all my music movies and such on there. I would like to hook my mac formatted hard drive up to my ps3 to view these things. However the PS3 does not recognize it. How do I get it to recognize it and let me view this content?

2. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Maybe this could help? Good luck! :apple:

3. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

The link given here is good. The problem is probably that you have the external hard drive formatted HFS. I would also like to add to make sure your music format is compatible, if you use some obscure file type to rip your music (I like lossless compression, but I'm not sure if the PS3 can play the more obscure types of lossless files)

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

5. 40167 macrumors regular

The link given really seems over complicated, just make sure it's FAT32. Plug it in the PS3, go to Photos/Music/Video, then the hard drive and push triangle then show all. That way you avoid needing all the folders and can just store the stuff how you want.

One thing I will note, I have a networked drive here, for some reason if I copy videos from my Mac to the drive the PS3 says it's incompatible. If I copy the same video from a PC it works. I haven't yet figured out what the Mac is doing differently.

6. mikepro macrumors 6502

Uhh... have you tried it? It's about the easiest thing I can imagine doing. Basically install the software, and you are done. Browse the media files on your computer from the PS3. No need to sync files to an external drive, worry about formatting it in FAT32, etc.

7. moel macrumors 6502

yeah don't bother with the whole external drive thing.

Tis one of the larger failings of the PS3 that it only does fat 32 externally. Which is **** because that means your limited to sub 4gb file sizes.

Stream it as suggested.

Or buy a better console, the 360 does fat 32 / ntfs / and all flavours of HFS (apples file system)