PS3/Xbox on Macbook's Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zFrenchy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

I am about to go to college and I would like a way to play my PS3 while there.
    I'm not sure wether to buy a tv or just use Elgato Eye Tv hybrid. Does anyone know how efficient this is and if i can use my HDMI cable with it?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

the elgato will suffer from latency. a TV is a better idea for playing games.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232275

Basically you'll be good to go as long as you have a quick system and aren't trying to do anything fancy like progressive scan. I use the eyetv hybrid and it works ok for mah wii (havn't played ps3 on it though).

But as for it vs. tv, well, thats up to you. For me, i'm kind of short on space so it works ok but the purchase of a non hd input tv tuner in todays high def world kinda sucks. The only solution for high def recording of premium channels or hd gaming would be to use the HDPVR which always introduces lag and doesn't have a built in tuner (which would require cablecard anyway).

Get a TV if you want to step up to HD content in the future. Like I said the hybrid cannot input HDMI or component so you're stuck with svideo or composite. I have comcast and they broadcast all channels in clear QAM including the high def locals so you are able to get high def through antenna (ATSC) or if your cable co provides it. It won't be able to tune the encrypted digital cable channels (though it'll pick them up).

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

get a tv and if your budget/space doesn't allow get a computer monitor. Viewing angles will be a pain in the ass with the laptop. By wall mounting the tv or monitor you save a lot of space too...