PS4 and 27 inch Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumpydog, Sep 11, 2013.

1. bumpydog macrumors newbie

Hi There - first post so please be gentle.

I have a 2010 27 inch Imac that I currently connect to display my Xbox 360 via an HDMI cable through a Kanex converter, and then into the minidisplay port.

This works fine apart from the fact that it only displays at 720p rather than 1080p, even though the XD features up to 1920x1200 resolution.

This I believe is due to the fact that the Imac doesn't support 1080p.

However my question is whether my Imac will be able to support 1920x1200 (1200p), if I were to select that output from the PS4?

cheers for any help

2. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Not sure on that. 1080P is definitely within 27" iMac ability, the native resolution is 2560x1400. However the limitation isnt within iMac but the adapter itself: http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

it states it supports 720P in iMacs, 1920x1200 is probably supported on other displays via this adapter (theyre not very clear on that).

with that in mind, I wouldnt hope for bigger res with PS4 since you'll be using the same adapter with the same iMac.

Shame i dont know why Apple wont do just simple HDMI input (you could switch inputs by quickly pressing power button for example).

EDIT: sorry just read the FAQ section and it is limited by iMac indeed (EDID). im afraid there is nothing you can do. However if the PS4 could output the same res as iMac (2560x1440) it would work.

3. bumpydog thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there, thanks so much for your response.

Not looking very hopeful is it?

I was hoping that the PS4 would have DisplayPort out (which it doesn't). I already route my PC through the Imac to play games and it looks amazing on the display.

I guess the only other hope is to try and find another adaptor that has a higher maximum resolution....Trouble is displayport is a bit old hat now so that is probably not an option either.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just remember not to buy a new iMac - the Thunderbolt port only takes input from Mac Thunderbolt output.