PS4 as multimedia console for Non-Gamer

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Quotenfrau, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Hi

I am not a gamer. I think to buy PS4 as a multimedia console / media center. I won't buy an Xbox One because of privacy issues.

What features does PS4 offer for non-gamers?

I saw on Reddit that ******* pledges to fully support the PS4

I think of it as a better AppleTV.

2. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Well out of the box I don't think the PS4 offers much, though Sony has mentioned that they will add back features via software updates.

I was going to use the media player thing as an excuse to buy one on release day, but I think my phat PS3 with it's memory card reader does more at the moment :p

3. Giuly, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can have that less expensively.

Sony's BDP-S5100 "BluRay player" is a great media center, for $89. It may or may not play Crash Bandicooch, though.

[​IMG]

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

So why by a game console?

I have heard the people use the consoles as the apps are better than the ones on the set top boxes.

If you want something new you're better of with a new super slim PS3 starting at $199 - people have mentioned online that they've picked up one as a media center device only...

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

You do know that kinect isn't required to work the xbox. You can cover the camera and use it for voice control.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. Currently DNLA is not supported
    2. Currently MP3 is not supported
    3. Currently 3D BluRay is not supported

As a media hub. Not right now.

And if your just looking forward to *******. I'm sure you can crank one out cheaper!

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah but honestly xbox is expensive for that (so is PS4) and you have to pay yearly to use pretty much all of the online/tv features. Without the Live Gold yearly fee, it is worse than the PS4 for multimedia features (aside from paying blu ray discs which I have no idea which is better) and it's 100 dollars more.

So good reasons to avoid it even if you don't care about Kinect.

I echo either just buy a dedicated multimedia box thingy or buy a PS3 (The PS4 will get there but Sony focused mostly on the gaming for now so they still have to implement a lot of features... for example no youtube yet).

8. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Don't bother.

The PS3 has Cinavia DRM protection built-in. This means that ripped movies (legal or otherwise) will refuse to play on the PS3 if they contain the Cinavia audio watermark.

Likewise, I'm assuming that if the PS4 ever gains the ability to stream content from another system- it will feature the same protection.

You'd be better off buying something that doesn't have Cinavia built into it (Apple TV doesn't, and I don't think the Xbox One does either- it might though, since I seem to recall Cinavia being a requirement for all Bluray players).

-SC

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It's required by the Blu Ray consortium for any BD player/member device, however I have never had any issues playing BD's that I rip. I have a large NAS when I buy a BD I just rip it and stream from the NAS to my PS3.

I've never had any issues with playback using native DLNA to stream directly from my NAS to the PS3, so unless you're ripping it in a strange way its a moot point.

10. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

You have just made my day. I just burst out laughing. :D

11. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've heard the PS3 supports Cinavia it but I've ripped my whole film collection to MP4, and I've never had an issue playing them or any of my torrented TV shows.

OP- it sounds like the PS3 would be a better choice. It plays files from pen drives and over the network, supports 2D and 3D bluray, already has iPlayer, Netflix and such. Plus they're about 1/4 the price of the PS4! I don't know how compatible the web browser is for video playback, mind you.

13. Quotenfrau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

3-4 years ago the PS3 was an awesome deal for a media center, not today
    just get a $100 blu ray player

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Still is, you get bluray, MP4+Avi player (full surround too), good DVD upscaler, Netflix and other streaming services, and storage to media files on. A second hand PS3 is still the best value all-round media player you can get.

16. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Get a roku, Apple TV, ps3 or xbox 360.

At present the ps4 and xbox one have basic/no support for media outside of their own video and music stores.

If you can get an apple tv2 you can hack it and put xbmc on it or even just pick up a raspberry pi.

17. VI™ macrumors 6502a

The only reason to get a PS4 right now is to play one of the 3-4 games out there that are actually worth playing on it. That's about it. The only reason I have one is because my PS3 died shortly before launch and I was left with a 50" TV sitting blank and having to watch netflix on my OG Macbook. I spent the extra money over another PS3 to upgrade so I wouldn't be doing it in the future.