PS4 Blue Ray issues

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by corry20, Jan 16, 2014.

1. corry20 macrumors regular

Does anybody have a PS4? I keep hearing all these stories about how Blue Ray movies are not working and they take forever to load.I still have my PS3 was wondering if I should hold off.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got a PS4 and it plays blu-rays without an issue at all. At this point though, I understand a PS4 will not play a blu-ray in 3D--apparently a firmware update will fix that in the future.

That being said, there aren't that many games for the PS4 yet, so you won't be missing much by holding off your purchase.

3. gkarris, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I have that problem with my PS3 but that's because many BR discs go online to download additional content and I have a slow Internet connection.

The PS3 now allows you to shut off BR Video Disc access to the Internet (before, I had to turn off Wi-Fi on it before watching a BR).

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have around 300 BluRay films. (I don't bother going to cinema I just buy the films as soon as they come out) and all but the 3D versions work grand.

I personally do not understand WHY ON EARTH sony left out BluRay 3D support when the PS3 was like a beacon for BluRay relieving support for BluRay formats from the off. The firmware update can not come soon enough.

Thank goodness most of my 3D BluRay sets come with the standard 2D version.

As for slow loading it could indeed be the BluRay interactive feature, just turn it off.

5. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Agreed. Crazy omission.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Considering most TV manufacturers are ditching 3D I doubt they will put it in. The 3D fad is dead, good riddance!!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's not good for my 3D film collection though ! :p

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The PS4 also won't play audio CD's yet, although I heard they may add that later via an OS update. Not that that's a deal breaker for me. I don't exactly know where the disc slot is on my PS4 as I've not used it the whole time I've owned it. Just went pure digital.

9. gkarris, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

That was the rumor-mill during early development at Sony and MS. Supposedly the extreme discussions on use of physical media on game consoles and then Nintendo going with physical media on their newest console, MS & Sony made the decision to put one in - this time... :eek:

Here's a recent story (trying to find the myriad of older ones but they were out right before the Wii U launched):

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+One+N...n+Favor+of+AllDigital+Gaming/article34027.htm

MS, though, tried to implement a download DRM scheme to physical media anyways and we all know where that went... :eek:

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh I'm perfectly content with them having a drive on their devices. I just have ample bandwidth (110Mbps at the moment, although I usually run faster than advertised) and I'm generally too lazy to sell games. So digital only is great for me.