PS4 Controller on tvOS 10 GM ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PsykX, Sep 8, 2016.

1. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

So apparently, this used to work (roughly, but still) during Beta 4 or so, but I didn't have the chance to test it. I managed to connect my PS4 controller on tvOS 10 GM using the Share + PS buttons combined, but the controller doesn't do anything after.

Did anyone else manage to make it work ? I wouldn't want to buy other controllers when I've had the best one sitting right on my table this whole time...

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I didn't know that was a thing that some beta testers were able to do for a while? I somehow never heard of it. But it's kind of a downer to hear this because it's hard to imagine it totally officially happening.

I agree on never wanting to buy an MFi controller. It's too annoying that Apple created that requirement when I so much prefer the PS controllers, bought a PS3 controller for my MacBook even, and apparently could simply use it for iOS if I ever decide to jailbreak.

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Its not just Apple, I don't think PS4 controllers work on Amazon, or Roku devices either.

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think it would feel a lot less bothersome if Apple had designed and released their own controller for their device, like Amazon and Roku (and Microsoft and Sony) have. Instead, it's left to whichever third party companies wish to purchase the rights to place an "MFi" label on their package. No official standard is set in place for build quality, functionality, or experience. So the fact that a preferred controller is blocked (but shown to work with some software barricades shifted aside) seems so much more irksome.

5. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

The build quality of the Nimbus is very good, and Apple assisted in the design. It's not Apple branded, but it might as well be.

6. patohi macrumors regular

Atomic Super Lander seems to be the first game that requires a MFi controller!
    I went to the developer "bit weird games" webpage and under key features it says compatible with MFi, Xbox, and ps4 controllers!?
    It's only iOS so I'm wondering is that a typo or is Xbox and ps4 controller support coming to iOS?

7. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

I sure hope so. I keep hovering my trigger finger over the nimbus but haven't done so yet. Would love to save $50 and just use what I already own.

8. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I don't expect that this would ever be possible. Sony uses custom bluetooth stacks for their controllers, so even on a PC or Mac, they don't. Their resolution to this is that they'll be offering a USB dongle to connect them in the near future.

9. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

PS3 & PS4 controllers can be used for gaming, on a Mac at least ,just by bluetooth pairing.
    I wished I could use my PS4 controller for playing games on my IP 6s but I still can't do it.