PS4 Offline Gameplay

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mrmarts, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mrmarts, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey Guys

Before i pre order my playstation 4, I have one quick noob question I have no intensions to pay for playstation plus at the moment. At launch I will be buying 2 games Killzone Shadow fall and Need for Speed Rivals (As I have a few WII U and Mac Games to purchase). My question is will i be able to still play and enjoy these games without having an online subscription? or are games like need for speed only meant for online gameplay?.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes you'll be able to play the single player of those games. Just not the multiplayer portions.

If you do decide to pay the $50 for PS+ remember you do get 'drive club' included as well as many other free games over the course of the coming year so $50 may seem steep, but you'll soon realise it's actually very good value.

I've been a PS+ subscriber since launch and i have a stack of free software at this stage I have access to, on both PS3 & Vita and soon PS4.

3. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks for the feedback I will get ps+ early next year.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Do you forfeit access if you cancel your subscription?

5. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes. If you stop paying for PS+ you lose access to downloaded free games as well as most PS4 multiplayer (believe stuff like Diablo 3 and Final Fantasy 14 is handled differently).

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Like free on iTunes - if you downloaded for free, is it free for you to download again and use forever?

Or does it check your account status and you can use it only if you have a current subscription even though it's been downloaded.

7. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I am looking forward to subscribing now for the free games, plus the human element thing as well :). I have been a playstation user since the 2 and have just ventured into the land of Nintendo. I was thinking of quiting playstation with my PS3 but now I changed my mind as i love first person shooters like Killzone, and driving games like Gran Turismo. This were Nintendo lags, there is more fluff but less grunt, but i still love my Nintendo. In addition to this the PS4 console with the led stripe looks sexy as I cannot resist but to cash out.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, it's like iTunes. Once you download something, as long as you're a PS+ member, you can redownload as long as the product is available. Also, you can authenticate up to 2 PS3/4 systems, so like on my GF's (I'm in Ohio, she's in Connecticut) anything I get for free via PS+ she can hop into my account on her console and download it as well.

9. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Think of PS+ like the Netflix of video games. As long as you keep paying the subscription, you get to play.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Also if you buy a game on PS+ and it was discounted, its yours to keep even after your PS+ expires.

Just an additional bit of info for those who don't know.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You should mention that the PS+ version of Drive Club is not the same as the retail, it includes far less than the retail version. I preordered the retail version so I wouldnt have to worry about buying the full game from PS+, plus the preorder cars were neat too.

I can't see not having PS+, it pays for itself over the course of a year. At least you can access netflix and other apps without paying for the service unlike other companies that force you in to buying a service to use them and give you nothing in return...

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Also, as we're not sure what we're getting with the PS3 game streaming service, but it's been said on their message boards, those PS3 games acquired as PS+ members will be there for us once the streaming goes live.

There's rumors that PS+ members will get large discounts or possible free membership to the PS3 streaming.

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yes, but if you resubscribe you get access to all the games you downloaded before through PS+.

Think of it kinda like a Netflix like service except you have to download the games you are interested in when they are available (and then you have access to them whenever you are subscribed to PS+ and you can play games offline unlike in Netflix where you have to have internet).

You'll eventually have a library you will have access to whenever you have PS+.

----------

IF you have PS+, you should have bought Drive club through that. I believe I heard they are going to discount it for PS+ members (or discount paying for the rest of it if you have the PS+ version).

14. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear in that post.

15. NMF, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

PS+ is incredible, everyone should have it regardless of that fact that of it'll be required for PS4 online play. I've been subscribed to PS+ since it launched and I recently had to upgrade my PS3's HDD to 1.5 TB to have room for all the free games. I actually have two subscriptions now, once for the US and one for EU (EU PS+ is just stupid good).

Here are all the free games that were offered in the U.S. just during the first year:

[​IMG]

There's been a ton more offered since then too. Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Saint's Row The Third, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Battlefield 3, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and who knows what else I'm forgetting. PS+ is the best damn value in all of video games.

It's so good that I think it's worth spending an extra $60ish for EU PS+ as well. Just look at how ridiculous PS+ is in Europe:

[​IMG]

Crazy.

Every month is amazing for EU. Over the past few months I've downloaded Far Cry 3, Metal Gear Rising, Street Fighter X Tekken, Assassin's Creed 3, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Catherine, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and Remember Me. All from EU PS+.

Then there's all the Vita games. You get some of those every month too. Don't own a Vita? You'll probably want one after a few months of PS+.

Oh, you need PS+ for PS4 multiplayer? Whatever. ;)

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep PS+ is great! And remember you can take advantage of bonus months even if your PS+ sub is still active. I buy every time the 12+3 months offer is available meaning I'm now paid up to sometime on 2015 :)

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

How do you finagle that?

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Buy psn card gift card for the territory you want to download stuff from from eBay and pay for PS+ using that credit.

19. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I just bought a UK PS+ subscription card on eBay. Do that, make a UK PSN account, register the card code under that account on your PS3. Boom.

20. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

That chart is amazing, and wow what a difference between regions...! Now it would be amazing if ALL of those games were available all the time, but instead you have had to download them when they were available. No need to actually finish the download though, just enough to activate it and then you can cancel the download and it stays in your list. I've done it for most Vita games just in case I'll get one later. Plenty of games to play then.

21. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

You can also use the online store to buy without downloading. Just put the games in your basket, check out, and they will be in your download list.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sometimes you can't add to cary, it just gives option to download.

In that instance start the download - let it pass authorise and then cancel the download.

:)

23. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Why is there EU only?

They have so much better games lol

24. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I dont think it works vice versa though, even though I havent tried it lol. I live in Greece, so could I buy a PS+ card from the States, and use it on a different username?