PS4 or 15inch RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Nov 10, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

So i bought a early 2013 rmbp base model to use at uni and play bf3 on (much better than on xbox 360, so no crying please). but am now considering buying a ps4 for bf4 and swapping my 15inch for the new 13inch rmbp... my only reason is the ps4 now supports 64player online.

just after some opinions... cheers :)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

depends if you need a computer or just a game machine

Personally, I like the 13in size more than 15

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

if you only bought the 15" because of the dedicated GPU for gaming I'd say go for it (13"+PS4). But if you need the raw computing power and/or like the form factor better, why would you exchange it?

4. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

need both, but just wondering what it'll play best on.

----------

i really liked the 13inch form factor, but since having the 15inch a while i have become accustomed to it more and like the extra screen space, ah i'll see what graphics/gameplay are like when my ps4 arrives, always been an xbox fan! :(

5. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

definitely go for MBPr 15" ...PS4 only if you wish to play lot of games, but for everything else is MBPr 15" much better choice

6. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Since the beginning of time up to now, any Mac computer cannot rival the gaming experience that home console offer.

7. DaRealElvis macrumors member

Pro PC:
    - better controls
    - better graphics (of course not with the 13" retina Macbook)
    - Mods later on (maybe)

Pro PS4:
    - Comfort of your couch
    - Graphics will be 1000x better than on the rMB Pro

8. isephmusic macrumors 6502

9. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

13+PS4 if you're not doing any insane development and enjoy your games
    15 if you're doing development and enjoy a game once in a while. Remember; it's not a gaming machine, the 750M can play games well, but it's no where near the same as the PS4.

10. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

eh nah i only need the 15inch for gaming and uni work, and have started dabbling with final cut pro since i have so much gopro footage so i guess computing power of the 15inch would help with that compared to 13inch, other than that i dont do the stuff most of you guys do on your macs, i just broke pc's every year, macs have never failed me.

11. erigas macrumors member

if u need to play BF4 get the PS4.
    you won't be able to play that game under full load(with all 64 players) on the 13".....unless you re happy playing at 20fps.
    If u have to play on a laptop Mac get the maxed out 15". You'll be able to squeeze about 40fps on medium settings at 1366x768 on that machine.
    The PS4 can do 60fps at full 1080 res. Its settings are closer to the high version rather than the ultra.
    Hope this helps

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Hey guys, I'm just wondering—should I eat an apple, or maybe should I eat an orange? I'm having a hard time deciding. They both sound good. Apples are so juicy and sweet, but oranges are so tart. Thanks!

13. sabbyp macrumors regular

I'm also seriously tiring of the 'hey guys, can you live my life for me?' threads.

14. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

If you download the new Nvidia drivers that are optimised for BF4, you can play it on medium at 1080p with an FPS of 40.

And the PS4 runs the game at 900p FYI. If you scale the rMBP resolution down to 900p, you can get around 50 FPS at medium which is definitely playable, but the PS4 is better regardless.

In a nutshell, it all depends on what he wants. If he does photo editing, video editing, graphics development etc., then the rMBP will be a much better machine and the gaming quality would be decent. However, if he does mostly internet browsing and word processing, then a 13" rMBP + PS4 can get the job done better.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I don't think i'll get another console. Computer gaming makes more sense to me because I buy the game once and it's mine forever. I can still play games I bought for my computer years ago. On consoles, once the next gen comes out, the old games won't work on the newer gen. Then, if your old console dies, you can't play your games anymore.

16. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

sounds like you should be looking at a gaming laptop instead. i've considered this also and have looked at the alienware 14. never been a fan of them before, but their new 14 isn't as gaudy looking as their past ones. wish it was a little lighter though, but for the power it packs in, i think the weight is justifiable. i would've loved to try out the razer blade 14 (much lighter and better battery life), but the reviews regarding that screen has turned my interest elsewhere. everything about it seems great. i wish they didn't skimp on the screen.

17. that1guyy macrumors 6502

No the PS3 can run BF4 at around 900p and is equivalent to a mixture of medium and high on PC. More medium though.

18. RahulRulz macrumors member

RahulRulz

I would Highly Recommend you to go for - PlayStation 4 and MacBook Pro 13'
    Because for Gaming on MacBook you need Bootcamp after that Installing Game and more…(in Short, Long Road for BF4) and in PlayStation 4 just insert Disc and Bammm! also you will be having 13' which is I believe same as 15' except GPU that you won't be needing as you will be playing BF4 on PS4.

So my Choice is - PlayStation 4 (Boom!!!)
    now Its upto you.

Thank You

19. El Salvador, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

El Salvador macrumors member

Pretty straightforward if you'd ask me.. if you want a machine for gaming get a console. It will suffice for years and costs only a fraction of what a power pc/mac costs. Besides there's no need to be affraid your hardware needs an upgrade in order to play the latest games. A console is much more future proof, thus cost effective.

Hence buy the 13" and invest the difference in the PS4

20. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

21. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Love it.

Decisions, decisions. I'm still trying to decide between a DSLR or an iPad.. they both can take pictures, so..

22. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

...but only ONE of them doubles as a serving tray for when you have guests!

23. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

13" and you must stop losing your time with games. just get a chick or a vacation instead of PS4 ;)

24. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

i have a chick and go on lots of vacations thanks pal ;)

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Two completely different machines. I think it boils down to whether you need a laptop or not.