PS4 or Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AppleMan2015, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

I have a PS4 and at the moment rarely use it for Video Games. However I use it for TV - Netflix etc.

Would the new Apple TV be worth it? And what exactly is all the hype about for this new Apple TV?

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

It all depends on how you buy your movies, music, & TV shows right now. If you bought any via the PSN store (movies, etc), then it maybe wise to stick with the PS4. If you haven't bought any movies, Tv shows, or Music from the PSN, then sure it would be worth it.

3. AppleMan2015 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

You would still need to purchase the movie in iTunes though right

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

To watch on Apple TV? Yep. Or you can rent.

5. AppleMan2015 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

That defeats the purpose in my eyes

6. Ethan Coohill macrumors member

If you have them in the same room, you don't need it.

For me I have my ps4 in my living room, and will be hooking up my new Apple TV in my bedroom

7. AppleMan2015 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

I guess I could do that. But ehhh again lol

8. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Sounds like you've already made your decision.

9. AppleMan2015 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

I'm not really set on it... I could get a decent amount of money for my PS4

10. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Don't replace your PS4, it's not a console replacement and your PS4 does most of what you want in anyway.

11. Ethan Coohill macrumors member

Yeah selling your ps4 for a Apple TV would be the worst choice. Ps4 is WAY more capable than ATV.

Why did you buy it in the first place if you don't play games? The ps4 has some of the best games of our generation coming out in 2016. I would hold onto it

12. AppleMan2015 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Ok. Thanks. And I got it when I worked retail and someone returned it the day after it came out. Impulse buy and was planning to sell it but I kept it.

13. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

It doesn't do ESPN. If you're a sports fan.

(WatchESPN more specifically)

14. Ethan Coohill macrumors member

Look up The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII remake, and Kingdom Hearts 3. Should get you pretty excited for owning a ps4

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I'd swap the PS4 for the ATV, no need to have that big ugly box for what you want to do.
    Sell the 4 and it pays for the ATV.

16. Gueeds macrumors member

It terms of noise and power usage, the Apple TV wins, no contest. Also don't have to worry about notifications. Plus if you have a video on your computer or phone, you can AirPlay to the ATV

PS4 is going to have games, but not nearly as many video apps as the ATV has. If gaming is a priority, this a better choice.

17. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Apple TV quality is better. When watching shows on PS4 I notice the old Apple TV has better quality on MLB.tv and such...

18. Serban Suspended

i think with apple tv you can stream your movies/media from your mac though your Apple TV to your Tv.
    With PS4 you can't.
    I am wrong?

19. DNichter, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

If you don't do much gaming, I would suggest going with the Apple TV. You can sell your PS4, buy an Apple TV and have some money left over. Seems like an easy choice to me.

20. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

There's a lot of overlap between the two. By adding an Apple TV, you aren't adding that much functionality to what you already have. You'll get AirPlay and a couple apps not offered on ps4 but that's about it. I keep my Apple TV in a different room from my ps4.

21. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I believe you can do this with an app on your mac called "PS3 Media Server" or something along those lines. Used to do it to send movies to a Sony Blu-ray player.

22. Serban Suspended

i mean if you stream from your mac a movie to your TV through TV it will be full screen on the big sceen? or with black borders?
    i have a 4k tv, so if use 1080p movies it should be full screen on my television right?

23. Spankey macrumors 6502a

If you use iTunes for music or movies then Apple TV is worth it for you. If you don't use the PS4 for games or as a Bluray/DVD player, sell it.

24. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I used to have a PS3 I used for Netflix (never really played any games on it). I just got sick of how overkill it was for my use case. The thing had a noisy fan which meant sucking power and generating heat just to watch streaming video. I ditched it and got another AppleTV. I use mine for Netflix/NFL/HBO, I buy and rent some stuff off of iTunes, and I use iTunes home sharing to access all of the video and audio content I have on my NAS. It works very well for me as a cord cutter. No noise, no heat (and I rightly or wrongly equate that to less power draw) and it's just solid, never gives me any trouble. Even for services that I have native apps on my TV I prefer to go through the AppleTV (e.g. Netflix), the AppleTV version seems less prone to bugginess (Sony TVs sometimes have to be restarted to get the Netflix app to connect/respond or sometimes I have to access Crackle before Netflix will launch) and the WiFi in the AppleTV seems stronger/more resilient - there are times when my Sony TVs can't keep a steady stream (buffering or even dropping) and when I bump over to AppleTV I get solid service.

25. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Yes that is correct regarding AppleTV and home sharing, but PS (well at least I did it with PS3) supports DLNA and can access network videos too.

One other thing, if you backup any of your BluRay content and then try to play them again the PS4 will kill the audio after 5-20 minutes for any title with Cinavia DRM. Sony is a big supporter of that DRM. AppleTV doesn't care (well doesn't support spinning media either but you get the point).