Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I have an Xbox 360 and I'm ready to upgrade. I like Xbox because of halo, but I don't play it as often anymore. I do have a 4K TV. Why would I buy one over the other? What are some games to consider that are exclusive to each console?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have an Xbox 360 and I'm ready to upgrade. I like Xbox because of halo, but I don't play it as often anymore. I do have a 4K TV. Why would I buy one over the other? What are some games to consider that are exclusive to each console?

I have both and really enjoy the XB1 S more so far as the overall machine. Reason being is the XBLive community far and away blows away the Sony network for deals and games with gold.

Gaming wise I really enjoy the PS4 Pro visually so far as I can absolutely tell the difference due to HDR but I have a 4K tv.

That being said I wouldn't spend $400 for the Pro and only got it because my PS4 sale and a good deal I got on it.

Right now, id choose the S as the overall machine from live to entertainment to the deals BUT the Pro has massive potential and future proofing that is going to be amazing.

I'd get both if I were you ;)

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I'd get both if I were rich :p

What about games? Based on exclusive games would you pick one console over the other?

I have both and really enjoy the XB1 S more so far as the overall machine. Reason being is the XBLive community far and away blows away the Sony network for deals and games with gold.

Gaming wise I really enjoy the PS4 Pro visually so far as I can absolutely tell the difference due to HDR but I have a 4K tv.

That being said I wouldn't spend $400 for the Pro and only got it because my PS4 sale and a good deal I got on it.

Right now, id choose the S as the overall machine from live to entertainment to the deals BUT the Pro has massive potential and future proofing that is going to be amazing.

I'd get both if I were you ;)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'd get both if I were rich :p

What about games? Based on exclusive games would you pick one console over the other?

PS4 Pro imo has the bigger lineup coming out of exclusives. Not to mention if you haven't played any of the past exclusives such as the Uncharted Series.

I'd lean PS4 Pro on that aspect.

But again the XBLive Community and the Deals with Gold and Games with Gold are amazing versus the PSN.

Again my opinion and how I game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What features does Xbox Live have over PSN now? I didn't upgrade my 360 to an Xbox One and stopped subscribing to Live quite a few years ago so I'm interested to know what new features they have. Even back then Live seemed to do everything I needed, and PSN has that sharing-games feature (never used it though!).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I upgraded to the Pro. Personally, I feel the Pro has more to offer long term with 4K/HDR. Also, the Pro is lacking the 4K Blu-Ray player, which doesn't matter to me. For some, this was a selling point for the Xbox One S.

All 2017 Games will be Pro capable and previous games are receiving patches for the Pro.

Let us know what you purchase.

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
I will definitely let you all know what I get! So far I've been looking at the PS4 and XBox exclusive games and I'm kinda leaning towards the PRO. Spider-Man, days gone, and horizon, kinda make me want to get the PS4 Pro instead. Any Xbox exclusive games that may make me change my mind? :p

I upgraded to the Pro. Personally, I feel the Pro has more to offer long term with 4K/HDR. Also, the Pro is lacking the 4K Blu-Ray player, which doesn't matter to me. For some, this was a selling point for the Xbox One S.

All 2017 Games will be Pro capable and previous games are receiving patches for the Pro.

Let us know what you purchase.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
What features does Xbox Live have over PSN now? I didn't upgrade my 360 to an Xbox One and stopped subscribing to Live quite a few years ago so I'm interested to know what new features they have. Even back then Live seemed to do everything I needed, and PSN has that sharing-games feature (never used it though!).

For me it's not so much features even though I enjoy their newly created groups feature.

It's more their games with Gold are much better quality for freebies and also backwards compatibility has been fantastic for someone like that me that never owned a 360 and I've experienced fantastic games with this feature.

Throw in EA Access as one of the best deals in gaming and the complete package of XBLive blows away PS+ for me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will definitely let you all know what I get! So far I've been looking at the PS4 and XBox exclusive games and I'm kinda leaning towards the PRO. Spider-Man, days gone, and horizon, kinda make me want to get the PS4 Pro instead. Any Xbox exclusive games that may make me change my mind? :p

No. You're better off purchasing the Pro! (Just my opinion.) But Spider-Man and Days Gone looks amazing on the Pro.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I prefer the Pro for its native rendering of higher then 1080p resolutions vs the Xbox just upscaling. The Pro is just better for image quality.

However when it gaming what is important are the games, controller, network, friends on that network, trophies etc etc. So choosing based on that is important too.

It all comes down to preference. Neither option is right or wrong.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

I have an Xbox One and PS4, but not the s or pro. So this is more about which I tend to go to. I was an Xbox person when I purchased the PS4 (BTW I couldn't stand my PS3. The Xbox 360 was my go to). I will say I boot up my PS4 probably 90% of the time.

Here is where I think the PS4 has the upper hand.

1. Better interface - Who at Microsoft convinced them to go from a rather good interface with the 360 to what we have now? It looks nice, but not user friendly. PS4 has the upper hand.
2. Better Controller - I did not like the PS3 controller at all, but the minor changes to the PS4 controller made it very comfortable, and I find it more responsive then the Xbox One controller. The Xbox One controller has more play in the sticks before registering. But, the Xbox One controller is still very good.
3. Graphics - PS4 has the upper hand. Slightly smoother looks with less wash out and grain. I only use 1080P though.
4. Appearance - PS4 just looks cool, and is very compact with no large external power supply.
5. Exclusive Games - I only give this to the PS4 because IMO Uncharted is the greatest series available, and you would have 4 to play on the PS4. Add in The Last of Us, and you have some great games.
However this is really dependent on which type of games you like. With the Xbox One you have Halo, and can get them all on the Xbox One, and with some upgraded graphics. And if you are a racing fan you have the Forza series, so I think Xbox has the upper hand in racing.
6. Vita Remote Play - Works surprisingly well, but only good if you have a Vita or PSTV.
7. PS VR - I am not sure if I am interested here, but it gets very good reviews, and will be an option for you if you want to get into VR.

Here is where I think the Xbox One has the upper hand.

1. Xbox Live - PS4 has almost caught up, and it is so much better than on the PS3, but Microsoft still does it better. Also, you can find better sales for Xbox Live then for PSN.
2. The Games that come with Xbox Live - I will not call them free as you do pay a monthly fee to get them as well as keep them. Microsoft gives you much better games with live then Sony does with PSN. Not even a contest. You even get the free games that are out for Xbox 360.
3. Windows 10 Remote play - I have tried it, but don't really use it, but is a cool feature. They are also starting to provide PC version of the game. Very nice.
4. Connectivity - I do not use any of the Cable TV pass-through, guide, etc, but it is there if you need them.

Both systems are great. I hear the Xbox One S has added HD via disk where the PS4 Pro does not, so that is a big lean toward the Xbox One if you do not stream your movies and like disks (like myself).

But for me the PS4 is my go to for 2 main reasons. It has Uncharted, and the controller just feels better to me. Mainly the reaction of the analog sticks. And the Xbox One interface is just clunky and does not work well, but is pretty :)

The great thing about your dilemma, is there isn't really a wrong choice IMO, as they are both great systems, but I do tend to lean toward the PS4 when it is time to play, and the PS4 PSN is almost up to Xbox Live these days, so not really an issue like it was last gen. Good luck on your choice.

Edit: I don't do as much online play with friends as I once did, but a big factor might be what do your friends own. If they have Xbox then I would lean that way, if PS4 then I would lean that way.

Reactions: nav92 and 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an Xbox One and PS4, but not the s or pro. So this is more about which I tend to go to. I was an Xbox person when I purchased the PS4 (BTW I couldn't stand my PS3. The Xbox 360 was my go to). I will say I boot up my PS4 probably 90% of the time.

Here is where I think the PS4 has the upper hand.

1. Better interface - Who at Microsoft convinced them to go from a rather good interface with the 360 to what we have now? It looks nice, but not user friendly. PS4 has the upper hand.
2. Better Controller - I did not like the PS3 controller at all, but the minor changes to the PS4 controller made it very comfortable, and I find it more responsive then the Xbox One controller. The Xbox One controller has more play in the sticks before registering. But, the Xbox One controller is still very good.
3. Graphics - PS4 has the upper hand. Slightly smoother looks with less wash out and grain. I only use 1080P though.
4. Appearance - PS4 just looks cool, and is very compact with no large external power supply.
5. Exclusive Games - I only give this to the PS4 because IMO Uncharted is the greatest series available, and you would have 4 to play on the PS4. Add in The Last of Us, and you have some great games.
However this is really dependent on which type of games you like. With the Xbox One you have Halo, and can get them all on the Xbox One, and with some upgraded graphics. And if you are a racing fan you have the Forza series, so I think Xbox has the upper hand in racing.
6. Vita Remote Play - Works surprisingly well, but only good if you have a Vita or PSTV.
7. PS VR - I am not sure if I am interested here, but it gets very good reviews, and will be an option for you if you want to get into VR.

Here is where I think the Xbox One has the upper hand.

1. Xbox Live - PS4 has almost caught up, and it is so much better than on the PS3, but Microsoft still does it better. Also, you can find better sales for Xbox Live then for PSN.
2. The Games that come with Xbox Live - I will not call them free as you do pay a monthly fee to get them as well as keep them. Microsoft gives you much better games with live then Sony does with PSN. Not even a contest. You even get the free games that are out for Xbox 360.
3. Windows 10 Remote play - I have tried it, but don't really use it, but is a cool feature. They are also starting to provide PC version of the game. Very nice.
4. Connectivity - I do not use any of the Cable TV pass-through, guide, etc, but it is there if you need them.

Both systems are great. I hear the Xbox One S has added HD via disk where the PS4 Pro does not, so that is a big lean toward the Xbox One if you do not stream your movies and like disks (like myself).

But for me the PS4 is my go to for 2 main reasons. It has Uncharted, and the controller just feels better to me. Mainly the reaction of the analog sticks. And the Xbox One interface is just clunky and does not work well, but is pretty :)

The great thing about your dilemma, is there isn't really a wrong choice IMO, as they are both great systems, but I do tend to lean toward the PS4 when it is time to play, and the PS4 PSN is almost up to Xbox Live these days, so not really an issue like it was last gen. Good luck on your choice.

Edit: I don't do as much online play with friends as I once did, but a big factor might be what do your friends own. If they have Xbox then I would lean that way, if PS4 then I would lean that way.

Nice comparison between the two. I just upgraded to the Pro a few weeks back and I am enjoying it.

Reactions: tshrimp

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I'd get a PS4Pro now, and save your money towards an Xbox Scorpio in a year and eventually have both.

If you have a gaming PC already, there is less reason to own an XB1 since all xbox exclusives now come to both Win10 and Xbox.

As for Halo, unless you play multiplayer, Halo 5 campaign is very short and just ok. I wouldn't buy an xbox just to play that. If you play multiplayer, that's different, that community is very active and you will get many hours of enjoyment. You already can play Halo 1-4 on the 360, you can just play a bit prettier version on XB1.

One thing going for XB1 is EA Access. This is a great subscription program (only $30/yr) where you can play older EA games in the vault and 10 hour demos of new EA games a week early. Great program, especially if you like sports games, I wish PS4 had this.

But, what games you play and what system your friends are playing on should ultimately dictate your choice.

Last edited:

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Nice comparison between the two. I just upgraded to the Pro a few weeks back and I am enjoying it.

Nice. I was just reading how much more powerful the PS4 Pro was to the Xbox One S. 3 times faster on compute performance. 1.4 teraflops (xbox) vs 4.20 teraflops (Playstation). I didn't realize the discrepancy was so drastic on the newer versions.

From the article. "In comparison, that's like having a drag race between a Ferrari F12Berlinetta and an Audi A5. Yeah the Audi A5 is a lovely car... but it's no Ferrari."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138481-xbox-one-s-vs-ps4-pro-what-s-the-difference

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Nice. I was just reading how much more powerful the PS4 Pro was to the Xbox One S. 3 times faster on compute performance. 1.4 teraflops (xbox) vs 4.20 teraflops (Playstation). I didn't realize the discrepancy was so drastic on the newer versions.

From the article. "In comparison, that's like having a drag race between a Ferrari F12Berlinetta and an Audi A5. Yeah the Audi A5 is a lovely car... but it's no Ferrari."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138481-xbox-one-s-vs-ps4-pro-what-s-the-difference

You will not notice this at all. Honestly. I have both and until developers catch up with the actual improvements to the consoles and the games continue to release updates, none of this matters....right now.

With that being said, the Pro is much more future proof than the S but the S was a work in between until Scorpio anyways which will blow the Pro away assuming what they are stating turns to be true of what the console is.

I just enjoy XBLive immensely more than PSN in terms of value, free games, and EA Access being a HUGE differentiator in a value purchase for even more games.

I do enjoy both for different reasons but my S gets about 85% of my playtime and my PS4 Pro is almost unused at this point so far.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You will not notice this at all. Honestly. I have both and until developers catch up with the actual improvements to the consoles and the games continue to release updates, none of this matters....right now.

With that being said, the Pro is much more future proof than the S but the S was a work in between until Scorpio anyways which will blow the Pro away assuming what they are stating turns to be true of what the console is.

I just enjoy XBLive immensely more than PSN in terms of value, free games, and EA Access being a HUGE differentiator in a value purchase for even more games.

I do enjoy both for different reasons but my S gets about 85% of my playtime and my PS4 Pro is almost unused at this point so far.

I agree but ONLY if you don't have a 4K TV.

At first I didn't notice too much of an improvement on my Pro supported titles.

However going back to a none Pro PS4 and the difference is very noticeable. It's especially noticeable in native 4K titles like Skyrim and ESO. Everything I thought looked pretty good before looks very blurry now, comparatively speaking.

And that's comparing to a normal PS4 which generally ran at higher native resolutions than an Xbox One (S) to begin with.

I sound like a resolution snob but Pro support could be a deciding factor for me when picking out a game moving forward. If I was on the fence between two titles for example and one had Pro support and the other didn't.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree but ONLY if you don't have a 4K TV.

At first I didn't notice too much of an improvement on my Pro supported titles.

However going back to a none Pro PS4 and the difference is very noticeable. It's especially noticeable in native 4K titles like Skyrim and ESO. Everything I thought looked pretty good before looks very blurry now, comparatively speaking.

And that's comparing to a normal PS4 which generally ran at higher native resolutions than an Xbox One (S) to begin with.

I sound like a resolution snob but Pro support could be a deciding factor for me when picking out a game moving forward. If I was on the fence between two titles for example and one had Pro support and the other didn't.

Agreed. Also, any noteable review of the PS4 Pro, will clearly indicate it would be beneficial to have a high end 4K TV to appreciate the Pro's capabilities. HDR is another factor, but start with a 4K TV first.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I would say if you can hold out wait until the Xbox Scorpio is announced, it may be priced high but it could kick off a price reduction.

If not the Xbox One S gets my vote.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would say if you can hold out wait until the Xbox Scorpio is announced, it may be priced high but it could kick off a price reduction.

If the Scorpio launches during the 2017 Holiday season, units will be limited. But it also depends on price point.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I feel at this point the PS4 Pro set the stage for mid generation consoles.

Scorpio will offer higher resolutions and possibly frame rates at a higher price. Devs aren't recoding for any real changes like textures due to compatibility limitations (game needs to run on Xbox one and Scorpio).

Unless the Scorpio is an actual next gen console. That would be interesting but I feel that would alienate a lot of their customers.

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
I feel at this point the PS4 Pro set the stage for mid generation consoles.

Scorpio will offer higher resolutions and possibly frame rates at a higher price. Devs aren't recoding for any real changes like textures due to compatibility limitations (game needs to run on Xbox one and Scorpio).

Unless the Scorpio is an actual next gen console. That would be interesting but I feel that would alienate a lot of their customers.

Agree, Sony got the timing right and price right with the pro, can't really knock it.

Agree, initially the xbox scorpio will have extra power that won't be used, it will take a while for Devs to catch up.

Can't fault your logic.

My train of fault for holding out for a xbox scorpio is:

Once it's released i expect a price drop going for both consoles and as op is not desperate it could workout.

Op is already in the xbox eco-system and has no large issues with it, so might as well stick around unless there are console exclusives which warrant the change.

If op holds out and xbox scorpio is not Rolls Royce priced, long term it will be the better console to have (unless Microsoft does a Microsoft and screws this up somehow).

If op was on PSN I would of recommend PS Pro as you can't really knock it, they have somehow managed to update it 'just enough'.

Last edited:

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Just my take on it....

Xbox one live network is better. Bit biased as yes I own a xbone. But Its me talking with co workers on PS4's stuff and the game give outs not matching up well. Nor the sales. I know more happier live subscribers over ps4 net ones.

Also if Bethesda's experiment catches on with modding (one of the major dings against console I had/have, I do miss modding from the pc master race days) M$ has a more open stance to it than Sony seems to. Maybe that will change but for now Sony limits modding heavily imo with its no external source file usage.

Which is kind of what modders do. No barrett .50 in game? Make model, apply textures, animations, sound files and import it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just my take on it....

Xbox one live network is better. Bit biased as yes I own a xbone. But Its me talking with co workers on PS4's stuff and the game give outs not matching up well. Nor the sales. I know more happier live subscribers over ps4 net ones.

Also if Bethesda's experiment catches on with modding (one of the major dings against console I had/have, I do miss modding from the pc master race days) M$ has a more open stance to it than Sony seems to. Maybe that will change but for now Sony limits modding heavily imo with its no external source file usage.

Which is kind of what modders do. No barrett .50 in game? Make model, apply textures, animations, sound files and import it.

The nature of modding is a double edge sword that scares me.

The only mod I really want is the unofficial patch mods that fix bugs. I think that's a great thing and wish I had access too it (not sure if I do but I don't want to lose trophies even if I did).

The caveat is I don't want devs to rely on the modding community to fix their games. I want official patches.

I'm ok with there not being 1911-2016 guns in a game that is based in an alternate post apocalyptic reality of 2287 which is based off a nuclear 1950's Americana. I can appreciate that someone would want Barrett's and 1911's (mentioned above and my favorite handgun irl) but the vast majority of modding is lore breaking for me. Since I don't need to use those mods I have no problem with it and the reason I don't care about access to them....personally.

As far as networks go I can't see a difference between them at least not too much. People are people, if you associate with toxic people then you won't have a good experience. And I have a ton of free games on PS4, access to events with the community, forum style discussions on the console, cloud storage for my saved games, etc etc. When I switched from MS to Sony the network didn't even cross my mind, aside from losing some random online friends, but I gained a bunch too so it offset itself.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Get an Xbox One S. The value for money offered by Xbox is far far far far better then Sony. Plus Xbox Live is better then the PSN.
I traded in my Xbox 360 Slim for a PS4 at launch, big mistake as my PS4 sounds like a wind tunnel, hence why Sony launched an updated version in less then a year of launch, and the controller battery lasts three to four hours at best.
So I am getting an Xbox One S for Christmas and my PS4 will be put away until The Last Of Us 2, with the PS3 and PSN Plus I used to get some great games included, with the PS4 it's just been dull indie games. Xbox Gold gives you cracking games included both indie and AAA plus the monthly Xbox 360 games offered can be played on the Xbox One! Sony don't offer that at all and you have to pay an additional monthly charge to play PS3 games that stream.

I have been pretty disgusted with the value Sony has offered with the PS4, whilst looking nvioisly at the fantastic value Microsoft have been offering with the Xbox. It's all about the games and on Xbox you get more of the ones I like for my Xbox Gold sub.

I also live GOW and Forza Horizon is great fun.

My opinion on it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Get an Xbox One S. The value for money offered by Xbox is far far far far better then Sony. Plus Xbox Live is better then the PSN.
I traded in my Xbox 360 Slim for a PS4 at launch, big mistake as my PS4 sounds like a wind tunnel, hence why Sony launched an updated version in less then a year of launch, and the controller battery lasts three to four hours at best.
So I am getting an Xbox One S for Christmas and my PS4 will be put away until The Last Of Us 2, with the PS3 and PSN Plus I used to get some great games included, with the PS4 it's just been dull indie games. Xbox Gold gives you cracking games included both indie and AAA plus the monthly Xbox 360 games offered can be played on the Xbox One! Sony don't offer that at all and you have to pay an additional monthly charge to play PS3 games that stream.

I have been pretty disgusted with the value Sony has offered with the PS4, whilst looking nvioisly at the fantastic value Microsoft have been offering with the Xbox. It's all about the games and on Xbox you get more of the ones I like for my Xbox Gold sub.

I also live GOW and Forza Horizon is great fun.

My opinion on it.

There are plenty of AAA titles on PSN. Resident Evil, Journey, God of War, Saints Row, Metro Last Light are some of games I have on PSN I can think of off the top of my head.

Value will always be subjective if you prefer the games one offers over the other.

If your objective you find that PSN generally offers more value and volume.

Here is a comparison list:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PlayStation_Plus_vs._Games_with_Gold_Comparison

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.