Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
I have had the PS4 Pro for a day and when laying COD WW2 it sounds like I have a private jet in the lounge. It’s clearly running a bit too hot in my TV unit and I even experience the odd stutter.

What should I do? Buy a vertical stand and put it behind the TV where there is lots of room and fresh air?

Thanks

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have had the PS4 Pro for a day and when laying COD WW2 it sounds like I have a private jet in the lounge. It’s clearly running a bit too hot in my TV unit and I even experience the odd stutter.

What should I do? Buy a vertical stand and put it behind the TV where there is lots of room and fresh air?

Thanks

My believe is It's possible the fans could be blocked by dust, especially if it doesn't have good ventilation. If you're comfortable, you could disassemble it and inspect it internally.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Thanks

New or used?

If used you may have to open it up and get the dust out that may be blocking the vents...

Mine doesn't run hot at all - and I run mostly the PSVR games...

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
New or used?

If used you may have to open it up and get the dust out that may be blocking the vents...

Mine doesn't run hot at all - and I run mostly the PSVR games...

It's brand new.

This is the media unit I have. The PS4 is quite deep leaving roughly 3 inches between it and the back wall. Should it be alright in a space like this?

16421.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Haha this is a Sony trait I’m afraid, yesterday I stripped down my launch day PS4 none Pro and cleaned it out, put some decent thermal paste on it. The thing is quieter but it still ramps the fan up.....

It’s the nature of their design, my Xbox One S by comparison is almost silent all the time.

Best thing to do is give it plenty of air and space and be prepared after the warranty to take the cover off and give it a blow out, due to its design like on my PS4 the back of the heat sink can get like a thick layer of dust and hair and fluff on it.
Thankfully just removing one side of the covers should give enough access to blow it all out without having to strip the machine down.

It may also be the fan make they use, the original PS4 used two. A Delta electronics one that mine has which is louder and another make one that is supposedly quieter.

Reactions: Macalicious2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.