PS4 / PS Vita / PS TV...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So it seems like Sony wants this whole Playstation family of platforms to be integrated and work together, what with remote play, cross saves, and all that.

And I can't help but feel, they didn't think this all the way through at all when designing the Vita. They really should have duplicated the DS4's control layout in the Vita: clickable analog sticks, two pairs of shoulder buttons, and no rear touch panel (I have yet to see a good use for it). This would have provided a more comfortable PS4 remote play experience, and also near 100% compatibility for Vita games on the PS TV using a DS4.

As it is, PS4 remote play on the Vita is a pain with L2/L3/R2/R3 moved to the rear touch pad; and many good Vita games don't work on the TV because the Dualshocks lack the touch screen and rear touch panel. (I have yet to hear if compatibility increases with the DS4 which at least has one touch pad that could be used as a touch screen sub.)

A lot of unnecessarily wasted potential is you ask me. The PS TV would be an instant buy for me if more Vita games were compatible. And don't tell me a Vita design with four shoulder buttons couldn't be done - they could start from scratch desin-wise, surely they would have found a way. Instead, they replicated the dated PSP design, and truth be told, the shoulder buttons are terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all my Sony consoles, I just can't help thinking about what could have been once in a while... ;)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think you're going to struggle getting 2 rows of buttons, one of them being analogue, on such a small device.

What I wouldn't mind is a PS Vita XL type machine that would be exactly as you described and with some communication stuff to make remote play (or at least add the option to) run exactly like the Wii U's gamepad. I swear that machine has become my go-to console just because I can toggle playing it on the TV or anywhere else close by.

I think the solution is just more PS4 games that support Vita controls, that drop the analogue triggers completely and use the touchpad infrequently.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't have to be analog triggers...the Vita's rear touch pad isn't analog, and it still works!