PS4 Question

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Suture, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Considering getting a TV-based console, as I have none currently, and there's a few things on the horizon I am interested in playing. Really only interested in the PS4 now, and have a questions about it. I used to have a PS3 about 3 years ago (or more?) -- would any of the games I purchased on my PSN account be available on the PS4? I remember I had games like Super Stardust HD, some God of War games, Little Big Planet, and a handful of others here and there. It looks like from searching around online, that PS3 games like LBP would definitely not work, but what about the older games, or even PS1 games that were downloaded like Wing Commander III or MGS?

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

At the moment, PS4 doesn't natively play games from any previous consoles. Some PS3 games do work through their service called PS Now, which works a lot like Netflix but for games (you stream video down from their servers and your input gets sent to them. It is highly unlikely that the PS4 will add backwards compatibility like Microsoft is working on for Xbox One, so PS3 games will only be streamed for now. PS1 games don't currently work either for some reason.

3. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Considering that every Sony console (handhelds included) up to this point have played the PS1 games, it is surprising that PS4 doesn't actually support them, digital download or disc.

4. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

Ahh, ok. Thanks for the response. Still think I'll pick one one up. Mostly interested in DA: Inquisition, Madden, Witcher 3, and GTA5 for now. Those should keep me busy for some time.

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I'm pretty sure there are some PSN games that work on both consoles isn't there?

6. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

That's what I was hoping for. It's not a deal breaker in the slightest, but would be nice. I'll be picking up a console probably this weekend regardless.

7. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

There are some games that are 'Cross-Buy' and 'Cross-Play'.

Cross-Buy means you buy it on one console, and you get the version for the other console(s) as well. I believe that's almost exclusively limited to PSN games such as Journey, Flow, and other indie games. A few non-indie games that are (or were) exceptions included Sly Cooper 4, Playstation All-Stars, and Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault. But those particular games are PS3 and PS Vita, not PS4.

Cross-Play on the other hand is when you start a game on one console, and then carry the save onto the other. I'm pretty sure this was only PS3<->Vita though.

At launch, a few games included something similar to Cross-Buy where if you had the PS3 copy and had a PS4, you could upgrade for around $10 usually. Minecraft does something similar where owning the PS3/Vita version allows you to get the PS4 version for only $5 vs the normal $20.

On another note, I was just reading that there are rumblings of a rumor suggesting Sony is trying to bring PS1 and PS2 emulation to the new console. Whether this will be limited to discs, downloads, or allow both I'm not sure of. Playstation Now could theoretically allow the entire backlog of Playstation work on any PS3/PS4, recent Sony Blu-Ray Player, or Sony Smart TV. Possibly even devices from other manufacturers! But it was still limited to a set catalog of PS3 games as mentioned before.

8. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Did you get one? And what games?

9. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

Yes, Best Buy had a 4-day Labor Day special, which tossed in a free copy of the new Madden with any PS4 console purchase. I went for the Last of Us: Remastered bundle, as I was interested in that game. Also picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition since I played the other 2.

So far I can't stand the interface, but well, this is Sony. Logged into my old PSN account, but none of the games are available, as I suspected. Even my purchased Thomas was Alone wasn't available, even though it shows as PS4. compatible.

I've already pre-ordered Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4. That should keep me occupied...

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sony's been kinda greedy lately with backwards compatibility on PS4 - they want you to "rent" the games or "subscribe" to the steaming service to play them. A bummer for those of us that already own them. It would be cheaper to keep your old console rather than trade it in and subscribe.

I got a PS TV to play Vita and PSP games on the big screen. But of course with PSP you have to buy the downloads. Was sort of strange having to buy TRON Evolution again even though I owned it. With the sale they had plus earning points at Gamestop, I was able to bring it down to $10.

But still, buying games over again you already own? I guess the argument is you own the game to play on a specific platform, and must buy it over to play it on the new one.

11. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Actually, I'd take another look. That game is listed as Cross-Buy, so you should have the PS4 version for free as well. I'd first look under Library, which is far right, opposite of the store. I believe it should show up in there. If not, look in the store, and open the page for the game. I would suspect that you'll have either a red shopping bag on it, or a download rather than purchase button.

Edit:
    I have that game as well. So I can double check when I get home on what steps are needed.

12. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

Thanks, I will check again next time I turn it on. I couldn't figure it out before, but it could be me just not being familiar enough with the PS4 interface. Not a big deal, as I liked the game so much I bought it on my iPhone, but I have only turned on the PS4 like twice since I bought it. Still need to really get into The Last of Us.

13. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Nice to see you got a PS4. You may want to look into expanding your 500GB HDD later down the line once you acquire more games...space will go fast. Swapping the HDD is easy too, even Sony has a DIY page. I upgraded mine to a 2TB.