PS4 & XBox to charge

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Washac, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Only just read this that PS4 & XBOX are to charge an annual fee for key features.

No no no no no no no.

Always been a PlayStation person but not anymore.

2. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Oh for heavens sake, its part of the cost of PSN+….

3. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Actually, the only thing that PS+ is required for is multiplayer. Everything else it's optional.

From what I've read of XBL for the XBOne is that it's exactly like it was for the 360, so no change there.

That said, with all the stuff I get with PS+, it wasn't like I was going to give it up any time soon.

But, it's your dollar/yen/pound/euro/etc, if you're against it, I'm not going to try to change your mind.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PS4 is charging just for online multiplayer. No paywalls for content sharing or using streaming services, unlike the Xbox.

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for that, what I read did not explain that, it just said key features.

6. TedM macrumors 6502

Yea even I was getting confused when I read the thread. Glad it was cleared up.

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

You're mad if you don't have PS+already anyway, the amount of free content is absolutely insane. So it is no extra cost to me.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Have to agree.

I have more games than I can shake a stick at for my PS3 and Vita for $50/yr

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

How much does Sony charge for PSN+ subscription, if I may ask?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anywhere between £29-39 a year. Depends where you get the 12 month subscription cards from. I stacked up a bunch when I got them for £25.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since you have to pay for PS+ to get the content does it not make that paid content? As you have to pay money to get it. You can't just freely get the content without paying for PS+.

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I knew someone would say that. Perhaps I should have worded it differently.

13. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Yes, because it is really completely confusing and ambiguous the way you worded it, and no one could have possibly understood how you meant it.

:rolleyes:

14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

15. jedolley macrumors 68000

PS+ is a great deal and i'm glad it's carrying over to PS4. As for the "paid content" comment, I don't see it that way... A 1 year membership is $50 (less if you find a deal) which is less than a new release. The membership gives you access to more than just "free" games. Technically the games aren't free, and are more like rentals since you lose access to them if you membership expires, but you get access to a bunch of them, covering the cost over membership and then some.

In addition to the games, you currently get the cloud saves, and PS+ prices on the PSN store and if during a sale, these prices are usually really good.

Currently the BIG difference between PS+ and Xbox Live Gold is that you really don't need to have PS+... Sony is not locking non PS+ gamers out of anything, just giving them more in return. Granted this will change a little with the PS4 since PS+ will be required for Multiplayer (am bummed a bit about this decision), but even with that blemish, it's still a better service than Xbox Live Gold.

A glaring example (and this will apply for the Xbone and the PS4) is that you NEED Xbox Live Gold if you want to watch Netflix on your Xbox, but don't need PS+ to watch Netflix on your PS.