iPad Pro PSA: Apogee ONE incompatible with iPad Pro 3rd Gen. (2018)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gnomeisland, Nov 28, 2018.

1. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

The 2018 iPad Pro doesn't play nice with the Apogee ONE for Mac and iOS. Apogee's own USB-C cable does nothing. Using a USB-A cable with the USB-C adapter gives you audio out but nothing shows in Maestro which means no control over phantom power, internal vs. external mic, and no low-latency mixing. Apogee says the problem is that with the switch to USB-C, the audio protocols have changed and they need to write new drivers. No timeline on update though.

I suspect that this is true for Duet and Quartet as well but I don't have those to test.

2. jammybastard, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

I contacted Apogee CS and they confirmed their products are not compatible with the 2018 ipad proa.
    They said that their engineers are working on a solution.
    Hopefully it will be a just new cable with USB-C to Apogee’s connector ao I can use it with my One and Jam96k.

3. gnomeisland thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an Apogee micro-USB to USB-C cable that is listed on their website as compatible with the ONE but it does not work. The tech I spoke to said this isn't a cable problem it is a change in how audio is handled.

The 2018 iPad Pros don't seem to use the MFi standard/technology. This is critical because all the Apogee iOS products use a special chip to do full-support of Lightening, which was one of the big hardware changes between the USB-only Duet and ONE and the iOS versions. Apple now implements a pretty standard USB-C audio, like their notebook/desktops, so I'm 99% sure it is a driver issue.

I'm curious to see if the new drivers actually bring support for the older USB-only devices since the MFi hardware isn't necessary anymore.

4. jukeboxaddict macrumors member

Hmmmm does anyone know if this means the Mic Plus is also incompatible? It ships with a Micro USB (on the mic's side) to USB-C cable.

5. gnomeisland thread starter macrumors 6502a

No clue. It probably depends on how the audio interface is implemented. Does it work on Windows or Android phones? If it does, then it may have a USB standard mode and work fine (even if it doesn’t/can’t use the MFi drivers).

I have the older MiC but haven’t tried it yet. Even if it did work I’m not sure it would be of help to you.