PSA: Apple might fix your cracked iPad (or iPhone) for free

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RJS108, Aug 15, 2016.

1. RJS108 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but if so, I think it's worth mentioning again.

Yesterday I went to use my iPad Pro 12.9, and immediately noticed a huge crack in the screen, from the top left corner, to the bottom right corner. I'm the only one that uses it, it's never been dropped, and it's been in a case since the day I bought it (about 9 months ago). It had to be a defect with the screen.

I took it to the Apple Store today, and they replaced it for free. I don't have AppleCare, but it was covered under the one year limited warranty.

So if you have a cracked screen, don't assume you're SOL.

It's covered under the limited warranty if there is just a single crack, and there is no "point of impact". Mine was in perfect condition, other than the giant crack.

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Well, this is a very obvious scenario of manufacturing defect. After all, how often can you crack a flat glass sheet without a spiderweb of cracks?

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

This fix screens that are cracked when there is no point of impact.

4. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Yup if it is a single crack they will replace it.

5. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

That is very lucky sorry that your screen cracked but I'm glad they fixed it when he mean they fixed it did they just replace The screen or the entire unit

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. RJS108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they replaced the entire unit.

The funny thing was, even after she told me that it was covered, she kept lecturing me on, "This is why it's so important to buy AppleCare". I didn't say this, as I didn't want to seem rude or argumentative, but if I had AppleCare, I would have paid $99 up front, and another $49 yesterday. So by not getting AppleCare, I saved $150.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Maybe she meant after your one year limited warranty expired.

But you're right. Why is this a reason to have Apple Care when your iPad was replaced for free?

9. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Point is, what if you had a crack that was not clearly a manufacturing defect? Because seriously, as I said before, what are the chances of having exactly one single crack line that is caused by accidental damage?

In this case, $50 would not apply because it would not be covered under "accidental damage". They would replace it for free under regular AppleCare, as per normal.

10. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

That's what I was told when I bought my mini 4. They were encouraging me to get Apple Care because if the screen cracked I've have to buy a new iPad. The screen couldn't be replaced.

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

You don't have to buy a new one. You'll have to pay $299 to replace it out of warranty though. Arguably, you may as well buy a new one if yours is just the base 16GB WiFi. A third party repair shop may be the best option at those prices.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

will they fix used iPad sold from Craigslist or eBay?

13. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

They'll fix it, the issue is just how much you'll have to pay.

For the US:
    • Manufacturing defect within 1 year (2 for AppleCare+) $0
    • Accidental damage within 2 years under AppleCare+ $49
    • Accidental damage without AppleCare+ (Or any damage / defect after 1 year) see below:

14. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

It would suck if Apple guy says, "yea, we'll fix it for you...we'll just replace the screen part."

15. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Apple doesn't replace only the screen on a iPad. It's always a whole unit replacement.

16. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I know..but i'm saying IF they did that. Usually they would. They would say, "no problem, I got this. We'll switch it out for you."