Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Our friends over at AT&T will slap a bogus $30 charge on your bill when you upgrade your device (even if you pay for the device yourself), but luckily it looks like you can get out of paying it this year. Just log in to your My AT&T account, view your bill, and click on the link below the fee. You can dispute the charge and they credit it immediately without any other input or information from you.

Clearly they know this is a garbage fee... they aren't even bothering to "review" a request to have it removed. Don't let them get away with your $30.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Our friends over at AT&T will slap a bogus $30 charge on your bill when you upgrade your device (even if you pay for the device yourself), but luckily it looks like you can get out of paying it this year. Just log in to your My AT&T account, view your bill, and click on the link below the fee. You can dispute the charge and they credit it immediately without any other input or information from you.

Clearly they know this is a garbage fee... they aren't even bothering to "review" a request to have it removed. Don't let them get away with your $30.
Reason #15 why I left AT&T after trying them out for a month.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
EVERY carrier charges an upgrade fee. Interesting how there is a link this time. I usually call and they take it off. Sometimes I have to call more than once as it is a 'valid' fee.
I purchased a Pro Max from Apple Sim free. Popped old sim into new phone. To the best of my knowledge, T-Mobile did not charge me any fee for doing so.

Or did OP order directly from AT&T?

Reactions: jbachandouris

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
No longer have to call to get it removed. But what the real fee's everyone is going to see is when switching to a 5g plan. You will notice that your bill goes up 50$ because of "taxes and fees" even tho they market it as a 5g plan will cost the same as your 4g one.....My 4g plan had a total of $13 in taxes and fee's. Now they say its going up to $57 in taxes and fee's

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Depending how you get the phone, all carriers have charged an upgrade fee for over 20 years.. I just call CS and usually you can get it waved or cut in half at the very least. At least that"s how it has works with Verizon.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
LOL how? I bought my phone outright sim free from Apple and stuck the sim in, was charged 30$ from ATT. I called them and politely asked why was I charged 30$ for getting a full priced phone? Guy said I dunno, and credited it back to me in 15 seconds.
You paid $30 more for the SIM free if you bought from Apple.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
You paid $30 more for the SIM free if you bought from Apple.
I paid the same price it is for AT&T , Verizon etc

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 11.02.28 AM.png

karmakat

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2004
I canceled my service and moved to mint mobile and they charged me the $30 upgrade fee. I didn’t notice that it was called an upgrade fee and so I paid it. I wonder if others have experienced the same activity. Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me. Surely this can’t be legal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.