Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
That Whoosh! wet cloth wipe liquid is good for Phone or Tablet but not good for MacBook Pro XDR screen. It leaves a streak behind and that streak is hard to get rid of. I think that is the anti-bacteria agent and oleophobic liquid.

It was a mess and made it worst than it was.

The best solution, just water only and never use dish soap on the XDR screen. It's the same coating like glasses for anti-glare and that coating can breakdown by the dish soap.

Alcohol is alright careful not to saturate too much, only use it to remove some finger print oil.

In the end I cleaned it up with just medium soaked nanofiber cloth with filtered water (those you get for glasses cleaning)

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
you talking about this?

Never had any issues with any Apple display.

1637675525690.png

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I noticed this as well, works fine on my M1 MBA but definitely causes streaks and the new MBP (and even the 12.9” iPad Pro). I usually just use a microfiber cloth for those (the kind that comes with eyeglasses).

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am coming in to report the same thing. I was very, very unimpressed with the performance of this spray on my 14" MacBook Pro. Are these streaks permanent? We have until January to exchange these MacBook Pros, right?

Reactions: ShivneelSingh

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
TSE wrote:
"I was very, very unimpressed with the performance of this spray on my 14" MacBook Pro. Are these streaks permanent? We have until January to exchange these MacBook Pros, right?"

Do you know what "StainGate" is...?
Do you know why it happens...?

MacBook Pros have a VERY thin "sprayed-on" antiglare coating that is VERY fragile and can be easily damaged from too much (or too aggressive) "cleaning".

You should endeavour to not even TOUCH the surface of the display, if you want it to last.

The more one "cleans" the display, the greater the likelihood that the sprayed-on coating will begin to flake off, hence... StainGate.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Also never spray any of these directly on the screen, just slightly dampen a microfiber if you need to. Best to avoid using sprays unless the smudges require it.

Reactions: Cape Dave

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Don’t know about whoosh but all sprays will leave streaks on glass for a day until the streaks break down and evaporate.

The trick is don’t spray direct on screen and after you wipe use a dry micro cloth or dry side to dab gently with long stokes. Don’t make circular strokes. Wax on, wax off style.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I am coming in to report the same thing. I was very, very unimpressed with the performance of this spray on my 14" MacBook Pro. Are these streaks permanent? We have until January to exchange these MacBook Pros, right?
Streaks on glass cannot be permanent unless there is an abrasive. Your MBP will not be refunded if you use some kind of damaging chemical.

Learn the correct technique and expect streaks to stay for a day.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It confuses me why people have to invent their own methods of cleaning Mac screens, instead of following Apple's instructions. I guess they know better than Apple. Or just don't believe Apple's instructions work, or are too impatient.

Reactions: Wando64 and kvlq

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Alcohol is alright careful not to saturate too much, only use it to remove some finger print oil.

In the end I cleaned it up with just medium soaked nanofiber cloth with filtered water (those you get for glasses cleaning)
I would never suggest alcohol regardless how small amount on the MacBook Pro screen

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
All good info here re: water and microfiber. IF need to use a chemical, I stick with eyeglass cleaner that is made for coated lenses.

A clean microfiber usually is sufficient, even on smudged touch screens.

ADD: see below. Also use the Zeiss for coated lenses wipes. Box of 400 popup on sale on Amazon every now and then. For my eyeglasses, a few in the camera bag, and and a few in the laptop bag.

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Zeiss pre-moistened wipes, thoughts?

Been using it with my MacBooks ever since 2017 with no issues. I think it's the only type of alcohol wet wipes that is not going to cause issues.

I also shined my phone's flash LED on the display to make absolutely sure that no micro scratch or streak is left behind by those wipes, and so far, nothing.

It makes sense. Zeiss made these wipes for camera lenses with very delicate coating as well, and they must have tested them extensively.

Reactions: 3Rock and NoBoMac

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I use a wet microfiber cloth followed by a dry microfiber cloth. Saves a lot of money and works perfectly. I bought a whole stack of microfiber cloths for this purpose. Works on the phone, TV, laptop, and everything else. I was quite annoyed with myself how better this works over everything else I’ve tried trying to find the perfect cleaning solution when water was it all along.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2021
Been using it with my MacBooks ever since 2017 with no issues. I think it's the only type of alcohol wet wipes that is not going to cause issues.

I also shined my phone's flash LED on the display to make absolutely sure that no micro scratch or streak is left behind by those wipes, and so far, nothing.

It makes sense. Zeiss made these wipes for camera lenses with very delicate coating as well, and they must have tested them extensively.
Problem is that the new MacBook Pro XDR screen is different than previous gen. It's more flimsy or thin. iPhone screens are glass.

Juraj22

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Lets have a look at oficial guidelines for cleaning.

"
To clean the screen on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down the computer and unplug the power adapter. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with water only, then use it to clean the computer's screen. To clean hard-to-remove smudges, you can moisten the cloth with a 70-percent isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution.
"

Well, I always skip part "to shut down..unplug..." :D
The rest of the information is good advice. Also, if you have good quality cloth, you don't need IPA. Water is enough.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
I've noticed that using Whoosh on my 2019 MBP 16" screen results in smearing that will never go away! It's fine on my 2015 and basically every macbook I've had before. Apple changed something about the coating...hopefully to make it more resilient but for now, just causes a good cleaner to not work anymore. Now I just use a damp (with water) microfiber and come back with a dry one to gently buff it dry. That seems to work the best. The dry cloth is key to getting rid of the streaks/smears

Reactions: TinyMito

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Lets have a look at oficial guidelines for cleaning.

"
To clean the screen on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, first shut down the computer and unplug the power adapter. Dampen a soft, lint-free cloth with water only, then use it to clean the computer's screen. To clean hard-to-remove smudges, you can moisten the cloth with a 70-percent isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution.
"

Well, I always skip part "to shut down..unplug..." :D
The rest of the information is good advice. Also, if you have good quality cloth, you don't need IPA. Water is enough.
I have found these instructions (water only) work well, leave no residue; it just takes patience and gentleness. The screens often have an oleophobic coating, or are glossy smooth, that it just takes a bit of time for plain water to loosen dirt or smears, by gently stroking the surface repeatedly with a damp soft cloth.

The temptation is to rub it with some solvent or detergent to get it off in 5 seconds, because: who wants to wait, and can't believe just water will do anything. Then you have to do 10 times more rubbing to get the residue off, and who needs an anti-reflective coating anyway.

I advise against using paper-based products, even if it says it is for screens, lenses, glasses, etc. I have damaged coatings on eyeglasses (which are not glass!) with repeated use of so-called lens wipes, resulting in a hazy finish. Similarly for coatings on camera lenses.

It reminds me of cleaning polished stainless steel surfaces - it takes patience. Not steel wool, even though steel wool is advertised for cleaning stainless. Steel wool works very quickly the first time, but not so good the second time.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Can’t go wrong with a moistened microfibre cloth. Wet one corner, squeeze out the water, wipe screen clean, then dry with the non damp part of the cloth.

Reactions: 3Rock

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It confuses me why people have to invent their own methods of cleaning Mac screens, instead of following Apple's instructions. I guess they know better than Apple. Or just don't believe Apple's instructions work, or are too impatient.
People are ignorant. They don’t think to research Apples guidelines of how to properly clean a display. It’s the same people who are using 80% isopropyl solution on their iPhone 13 displays, and then the oleophobic coating is now damaged, then they want to deflect the blame likely to Apple.

For me, anytime I’m a cleaning a display, I use a quality commercial grade microfiber cloth (No, not the garbage ones from Target), which will remove smudges and prints without having to use any type of sprays.

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.