PSA: Google Calendar Experiencing Syncing Issues With Apple Calendar

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Google and Apple calendars are not playing friendly right now.

As alerted to us by multiple MacRumors readers, there appears to be a syncing issue with Google Calendar and Apple's Calendar that began within the past 24 hours or so. The issue prevents Google Calendar entries from appearing in Apple's Calendar app on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and other devices.

@MacRumors have you heard anything about this? No responses from @AppleSupport or @Google but many people posting the same issue on here and forums. - Ian Laverick (@djianlaverick) August 23, 2019

The underlying cause is unknown at this time, but anecdotal customer reports across the Google support forums and Twitter suggest that the issue is on Google's end. In any case, a fix is likely in the works.

Article Link: PSA: Google Calendar Experiencing Syncing Issues With Apple Calendar

Tivoli_

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
An alert from Google would've been good. I've been resetting the calendar over and over and over...
You google alpha DOG.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2018
Interesting. I haven't encountered this. I added items yesterday and today via Google Calendars and they showed up on my iPhone's native calendar just fine.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I've been experiencing issues on macOS 10.15 Calendar all morning. iOS 13 seems to be working ok.

DangerousDan

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2002
Texas
Pretty sure this isn’t a new issue. We’ve tried various solutions in our organization with no luck for almost a year now.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
www.thedigitalorchard.ca
This article is seriously lacking details, and that screenshot is meaningless.

Calendar syncing is based on industry-standard iCalendar and CalDAV technologies that both Apple and Google support. But Google also has its own proprietary protocol. It's unclear which protocol is affected, based on the information provided.

It definitely sounds like a problem at Google's end, but it could also be an incompatibility at Apple's side. Maybe Google has started incorporating some new elements in the Event feed that Apple's Calendar is choking on?

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Sync issues were what made me migrate all my calendars from Google Calendar to iCloud a few years ago. Syncing is fast and reliable and I've very happy I made the change.

(Props to Google are due here. I was able to export all my old calendars as .ics files and import them into Mac OS Calendar very easily.)

redmondurbino

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
This is how I fixed it.
1. Remove the google account. System Preferences -> Internet Accounts, click on google account, click on minus button
2. Close OSX mail, calendar.
3. Delete everything in ~/Library/Calendars ( Backup the folder first if you want to be safe)
4. Add the google account again.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Short term fix for old & important events is to change something in the event in Google Calendar - even one letter is enough. Then the old item will sync again.
Time wasting I know, but better than nothing.
For getting back a record of all your old events, export from Google Calendar, import as a new Calendar into iCal, & all your History will be there. When the problem is fixed by Google you can simply delete this Calendar "Record"

Reactions: kostthem

minus182

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Good to know that it's not just me. Been having this issue since Thursday when I realised events I added on my Mac Calendar were not showing up on my iPhone (Fantastical) and vice versa.

Still not working as intended as of (25 August 2019 12:50 AEST).

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I don’t use google calendar to create customised events, but it seems that those “Australian holiday” calendar works just fine for me.
[doublepost=1566768858][/doublepost]
The person who created the schedule in the image does not use a schedule!
Curious why.

laz232

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
This is how I fixed it.
1. Remove the google account. System Preferences -> Internet Accounts, click on google account, click on minus button
2. Close OSX mail, calendar.
3. Delete everything in ~/Library/Calendars ( Backup the folder first if you want to be safe)
4. Add the google account again.
I tried that as well - but ended up breaking the other google calendar that I have (2 accounts)