Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 12.1, which reintroduces the Group FaceTime feature that was removed during the iOS 12 beta testing process.

Group FaceTime is designed to let iPhone, iPad, and Mac users conduct video and audio chats with up to 32 participants at one time, with new camera effect features like filters, stickers, Animoji, and Memoji included.

Unfortunately, Group FaceTime is limited on older Apple devices. On the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus, it is available in an audio-only capacity with no video. In its recently released iOS 12.1 user guide, Apple says that Group FaceTime video is not compatible with these devices.
"Note: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus support only audio Group FaceTime calls. Group FaceTime may not be available in all regions."
Group FaceTime is also limited to audio-only on the iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, and iPod touch.

According to Apple's official Group FaceTime support document, Group FaceTime with full video is limited to the iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro or later, iPad Air 2, or iPad mini 4, and iOS 12.1 is, of course, required for the feature to work.

groupfacetime-800x670.jpg

Group FaceTime calls can be initiated via the FaceTime app or through a group conversation within the Messages app. When you're on a Group FaceTime call, the interface is organized into tiles, with the tile of the person speaking at the time getting larger so you can focus on each person.

Like regular FaceTime calls in iOS 12, Group FaceTime calls support a range of camera effects so you can use stickers, Animoji, Memoji, and filters during your calls.

Group FaceTime supports ringless notifications to let people join calls without disrupting conversations already in progress, and there are built-in tools for seamlessly adding or removing people from your chat. For more details on how to use Group FaceTime, make sure to check our our Group FaceTime walkthrough and how to.

Article Link: PSA: Group FaceTime's Video Chat Not Available on Older iOS Devices

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
That's good. People on older devices are now forced to update if they want Group FaceTime.
I don't think group facetime is a killer feature to force people to upgrade 4 year old phones. Likely if they're holding onto their phones now, they still will.
[doublepost=1540929360][/doublepost]
Yay, planned obsolescence...
If this were limited to the latest phones, you'd have a real case for this. But phones that were released ibefore 2014 are lucky they receive updates at all.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think group facetime is a killer feature to force people to upgrade 4 year old phones. Likely if they're holding onto their phones now, they still will.

I don’t think they were looking to make a serious point to open up a debate, just a knee jerk comment after reading the article’s title so they could rack up some easy likes.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
6S upwards still works fine.

Yay! Still rocking my 6S, IMO it's still the best of the iphones and certainly the best for my specific needs. Facetime is the best app for those with limited data connections. I tried several when in the Scottish Highlands where the WiFi was <1meg and it was the only one that gave great image and sound quality. Hangouts and Skype (the major other options) were awful by comparison.

Will be the end of my ios journey though when it dies. Apple's priced me out of the market.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
It probably would have taken a couple of days more time to optimize for those devices. But you know Apple, once a device is out the door, no more improvements, no loyalty to older customers. Apple is all about what hardware have you bought this year.

Reactions: smacrumon

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Yes, Similar to email HTML, WebKit and No Hey Siri on older Apple watches, which required an Apple Watch Series 3 or later to work properly

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

You are correct - I will not be upgrading from my 6+ over this. And I won't be upgrading to an XS, XR, or XS MAX on account of the insane pricing.

The new iPad Pro is both far better than any of the new iPhones in pretty much every way, and cheaper than the new iPhones. It's shocking and making me think about maybe getting it instead. Biggest drawback is you can't send/receive texts... next biggest drawback is the lack of being pocket sized.

Reactions: AvisDeene

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
You are correct - I will not be upgrading from my 6+ over this. And I won't be upgrading to an XS, XR, or XS MAX on account of the insane pricing.

The new iPad Pro is both far better than any of the new iPhones in pretty much every way, and cheaper than the new iPhones. It's shocking and making me think about maybe getting it instead. Biggest drawback is you can't send/receive texts... next biggest drawback is the lack of being pocket sized.

Yay! Still rocking my 6S, IMO it's still the best of the iphones and certainly the best for my specific needs. Facetime is the best app for those with limited data connections. I tried several when in the Scottish Highlands where the WiFi was <1meg and it was the only one that gave great image and sound quality. Hangouts and Skype (the major other options) were awful by comparison.

Will be the end of my ios journey though when it dies. Apple's priced me out of the market.

What do you think the pricing should be for the current iPhone lineup?

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
This was to be expected. This feature probably requires a significant amount of GPU horsepower that the A7 and A8 simply don’t have.

I still think mini 3 purchasers got the short end of the stick. Apple really shouldn’t have refreshed that model with the same A8 from the mini 2 but they did it so what can you do.

Reactions: smacrumon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.