PSA Mac Mini $100 off at Microcenter

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by panzer06, Mar 16, 2015.

1. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

2. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I bought an open box from there the last time it was on sale for $399 - the open box was marked down to $320 :D It was never used, power cable was still factory wrapped. I went straight in there and installed a 250GB SSD. This gimped Mac Mini actually feels more responsive in everyday stuff than a quad-core i7 with 16GB RAM I had.

3. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Sssshhhhh.. Stop all that nonsense talk this instant. People around here don't wat to hear about how the 2014 is actually a good machine.

;)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

^

This made me laugh.

Seriously. How often do Mac Mini users actually stress out all 4 cores? Besides, the Haswell Mac Mini (2014) has a way better GPU (Iris 5100) compared to the Ivy Bridge Mac Mini (HD 4000).

5. Mr. McMac, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The mid level model's on sale for $599.99 I wonder if Bestbuy will price match?

Edit: Bestbuy did price match. I picked one up :)

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

7. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Hi Fishrrman, right now that looks like a base high model rather than an upgraded mid model. What price did you see earlier? The 2.8 GHz unit that I see is $899 but an upgraded mid model should have been $799 with a 2.6GHz clock speed, correct?

Either way these look like great deals.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

[[ Hi Fishrrman, right now that looks like a base high model rather than an upgraded mid model. What price did you see earlier? ]]

Yes, looks like I mistook the 2.8ghz CPU for the 2.6 of the mid-range model

Here's the top-level Mini at Microcenter:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/440800/Mac_mini_MGEQ2LL-A_Desktop_Computer

That's the same price as if you bought the mid-range Mini from the Apple online store, upgraded with a 1tb fusion drive.

I'm going to -guess- that Microcenter does not order "upgraded" models from Apple (i.e., they just order "stock" configurations), but even so...

...Looks easiest to just buy the top-level model from Microcenter, IF you're close enough to one of their brick-n-mortar establishments, since this is an "in-store only" price...

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been playing around with my new mid-range Mac Mini I got from Best Buy for the same price ($599). It's a nice improvement over my 2011 Mini. I thought I'd hate Yosemite, but it's much better than I thought it would be. I'm quite pleased so far.

10. mistergeekpro macrumors newbie

Oh thank you so much! I happen to live near one. This is a great deal especially since I was considering the mid-2.6Ghz, Iris, Fusion model for $899 from Apple Online Store.

Can I ask you guys for advice?

Short version: Debating HTPC MacMini 2.6Ghz, {16gb vs 8gb}, Iris for VMWare to play 1080p bluray. Would I gain significant advantage from a 16gb? Biggest task I'm buying it for is to use it for blu-ray playing over VM Windows 7 for 5.1 Surround.

Long Version: Initially I wanted to get a silverstone enclosure with a mini-ITX board to run a HTPC. Mainly because it would be able to process 1080p files and 7.1 DTS MA. But then I was weighing Windows 7 vs Yosemite and realized it would be a hassle to make em really work together. sure I can do SMB with AFP etc but ultimately I'd have to configure NTFS to edit HFS+ and vice versa, I know I can do that with paragon but all this work just to get a working HTPC. Then I looked into VMFusion (not a crazy fan about how Parallel is installed and alters the disk partition) As it happens VMFusion now supports 5.1 output it may not be 7.1 but I can use my Denon to give me a make believe 7.1 from a 5.1. So I decided MacMini.

Any advice you guys? :D

11. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

I agree, it seems as if they offer only stock minis. I have not been paying much attention to sales but these prices look good to me. $100 is a hefty discount for a Mac that is only a few months old.

Just browsing the mid-level is my favorite. If I were actually purchasing, you are right, they make it so easy to spring for the top-level model. http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.png