PSA: MacBook Pro abbreviations.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fortimir, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

MacBook Pro = MBP
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display = rMBP or MBPr

Period.

None of this cMBP/uMBP/LMBP crap. Apple still makes the "classic unibody", and in fact they just updated it. They just call it a MacBook Pro.

This is not a matter of life and death. I'm not taking it *that* seriously, so no need to flame. I just had seen cMBP all over mixed in with MBP... and then I saw uMBP last night... and then this morning on another site i saw LMBP and was like... this is out of hand. Haha.

And if I had my way it would be MBPr and NOT rMBP, because it's not called the Retina MacBook Pro. But whatever. Either works for me in that case.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

3. Fortimir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Haha, no I'm in a good mood. Like I said it's not a matter of life or death, just... my OCD for order kicking in. :D

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not the only one thinking about this: What's with the acronyms?

I think everyone will use whatever acronym they prefer. I doubt there will be a consensus.

6. Fortimir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I feel bad. I did a search and still somehow missed a thread already started about this.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to feel bad. You likely searched for "abbreviations" vs "acronyms". I just happened to remember reading that thread a few days ago.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

True, the Classic MBP to me is the pre Unibody, so I would tend to go on the lines of; cMBP, MBP & rMBP, and we still have our fair share of PowerBooks in use :p

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I just sold my cMBP for an MBPr, but my friend with the uMBP doesn't care for the rMBP so he's probably going to buy the new LMBP.

;)

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

PowerBooks is a different forums though.

11. Fortimir, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012

Fortimir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

You know, I actually agree with this. the cMBP could be pre-unibody... but that's a less-than-two-year period from 06 to 08. Shouldn't be seeing it pop up *that* often. ;)

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

A guy that has pet peeves like me. Although I think it should be MBPc, MBPu, and MBPr. Lets just agree to what I think it should be and we will all get along. :D

13. VacantPsalm macrumors member

I don't really care, but I think uMBP works and instantly knew it mean unibody.

It kind of reminds me of music artists with self titled albums. It just makes things a hint more clearer when you refer to it as "self titled album" instead of the name of the band/album. It's not going to be a linguistic train wreck to use the term that specifies both band and album, it's just a bit more direct to have a proper name.

Luckily I don't have clarity OCD, so whatevz man.