Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
For a very long time, it has not been possible to change your Apple ID email address if it was an iCloud email address, say from iCloud to Gmail.

I've just discovered it's now possible, you can change your email to any email address you want - and back again. I note Apple's Support pages have also quietly removed any reference to this (now removed) limitation.

This has been a pain point for me for years, so I am thrilled Apple has now resolved it!

Edit: hello to our Reddit friends!

Last edited:

Continental1k

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe I did this realizing this was a limitation. I changed my Apple ID back in July to my custom domain e-mail address.

However, it really screwed up my monthly AppleCare+ for my iPhone. It automatically cancelled and took a month to sort that out (at one point double charging me).

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
For a very long time, it has not been possible to change your Apple ID email address if it was an iCloud email address, say from iCloud to Gmail.

I've just discovered it's now possible, you can change your email to any email address you want - and back again. I note Apple's Support pages have also quietly removed any reference to this (now removed) limitation.

This has been a pain point for me for years, so I am thrilled Apple has now resolved it!
...resolved under pressure from external sources. While a step in the right direction 'too little too late for me.'

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jpn

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@Apple_Robert Your point is irrelevant.

See countless threads on this forum, e.g. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-delete-icloud-com-mail-from-apple-id.2235762/

It was only a few months ago you could not do this, the point you have made is not related to the PSA I have made.
I simply asked a question. You didn’t want to answer and that is fine. I didn’t say it can’t be done. I asked a question and you reply with thread links which isn’t answering my question. I wanted to know for my own benefit not yours.

I won’t bother with this thread any more if you are going to be rude. Forget it.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I simply asked a question. You didn’t want to answer and that is fine. I didn’t say it can’t be done. I asked a question and you reply with thread links which isn’t answering my question. I wanted to know for my own benefit not yours.

I won’t bother with this thread any more if you are going to be rude. Forget it.

I think he felt his 'PSA' moment threatened a little is all. I wanted to know the answer to this question as well, since it could be possible that if the ID exists in 'reachable at' then it allows that one to be changed. But we don't have an answer!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
But why would you want to?

Change the Apple ID? There can be reasons. Majorly, if you used a custom domain and do not want to use that domain name anymore, or suppose you lose access to your email ID for whatever reasons and needed to create a new one.

With regards to wanting to change an Apple ID that is an iCloud ID, I like it that my iCloud address is not broadcasted to everyone I message or email. Using an email address that I want people to know about and see means they get my appropriate contact details and not things I do not want them to see. My iCloud ID could be bazookaboyhoohaa @icloud.com, I would not want my clients to see that.

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have an iCloud email address that I use for all iCloud stuff. I have a Gmail address for the App Store. Has anyone successfully changed their App Store email to their iCloud email successfully without losing any purchases?

I’d love to use my iCloud email for both/everything but I’m scared to try as I have a lot of purchased content attached to my Gmail email.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014

This definitely wasn't possible before, and I thank you for the very helpful PSA haha

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Change the Apple ID? There can be reasons. Majorly, if you used a custom domain and do not want to use that domain name anymore, or suppose you lose access to your email ID for whatever reasons and needed to create a new one.

With regards to wanting to change an Apple ID that is an iCloud ID, I like it that my iCloud address is not broadcasted to everyone I message or email. If I use a Gmail or Outlook or Custom Domain Apple ID, I use that provider and that gets set up by default in Apple Mail, meaning there is one less thing to set up. If I use an iCloud ID as my Apple ID, it means I will need to add an email account to Apple Mail - the account I use everyday.

These are just two reasons.
But I thought you could have a non-Icloud email address associated with an iCloud.com email anyway? Same in iMessage, you can deselect the iCloud email and select the non-Apple email address

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've never had my Apple ID as an iCloud email address. I have had no difficulty in changing the Apple ID email address as and when required either and I last did so about 6 months ago. Heck my Apple ID predates the whole iCloud thing.

The only limitation I have ever seen mentioned has been the prohibition on changing a primary iCloud email address to one of its own aliases.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I have an iCloud email address that I use for all iCloud stuff. I have a Gmail address for the App Store. Has anyone successfully changed their App Store email to their iCloud email successfully without losing any purchases?

I’d love to use my iCloud email for both/everything but I’m scared to try as I have a lot of purchased content attached to my Gmail email.
To my knowledge, it can’t be done without losing content associated with the old email.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
To my knowledge, it can’t be done without losing content associated with the old email.
That sucks and it’s exactly what I’m afraid of. But it seems that now I can change my iCloud email to the same Gmail I use for the App Store? Is that correct?

Are there any downsides to using a Gmail email as my primary iCloud ID?

I just don’t understand how a company as technically savvy as Apple doesn't have a way to merge your emails or allow the change I’ve been hoping for.

Reactions: anthony13

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
That sucks and it’s exactly what I’m afraid of. But it seems that now I can change my iCloud email to the same Gmail I use for the App Store? Is that correct?

Are there any downsides to using a Gmail email as my primary iCloud ID?

I just don’t understand how a company as technically savvy as Apple doesn't have a way to merge your emails or allow the change I’ve been hoping for.
As far as usability, there is no downside to using the Gmail account as your primary. What you want to be cognizant of, is making sure to secure your GMail account as best you can. Make sure you have Two-Factor Authentication turned on. Ideally, you need to use a Gmail account that hasn’t been associated with any other online account creation and usage.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I'm confused by this discussion.

My AppleID uses my gmail account, and it has been that way for a long time (years). My iCloud e-mail is also active but not used for logging into my AppleID account.

I suppose that I set it up this way in the beginning, but it has been such a long time ago that I don't recall.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I think he felt his 'PSA' moment threatened a little is all. I wanted to know the answer to this question as well, since it could be possible that if the ID exists in 'reachable at' then it allows that one to be changed. But we don't have an answer!
I did not have it listed in “reachable in”.

I had my iCloud email address and phone number there, the iCloud email address being the Apple ID. Prior to very recently, you could not change the Apple ID from iCloud to a non-iCloud email - that’s what this thread is about. See the link I posted above, it was still the case back in May.

I don’t see how having it listed in reachable in makes a difference anyway, that has no impact on the email for your actual Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.