Pseudo-wiping MBP for family member, need help please.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sputnek, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sputnek macrumors regular

I'm giving my 2011 13'' MBP i7 to my niece, and I'm trying to clean out the computer, but I want to leave in programs such as MO Student so my sister wont have to buy it for her. Do you guys and gals have any suggestion on any pseudo-wiping the MBP?

Primarily want to delete my itunes media and business files.

Thank you in advance.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

All your data should be in your user account. If you create a new account for your niece, and then delete your old account, it should be good to go.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You might consider wiping deleted space once you're done in case she loses the machine and "some bad guy" gets ahold of it and undeletes your 2007 tax return. :eek:

Make sure you create a new admin account before deleting the old one!

4. Sputnek thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply. I never thought about the tax scenario and that led to me think of how many docs like that I have on here. So I guess I will wipe the comp and purchase her a new copy of Microsoft Office. Thank you again.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. Wait. No need to send money to M$. That would be a bigger disaster than publishing your tax return on this forum. :eek:

You can simply follow the procedure for adding a new admin account, wiping your old account but after you've done that you can pick from a number of severity levels of disk wiping to make sure your files aren't available in deleted space on your Mac.

6. Sputnek thread starter macrumors regular

Haha good save, I was just about to start, but thankfully I came across your message before I went ahead.