Pseudocode Help

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by gameguy3001, Sep 26, 2007.

1. gameguy3001 macrumors member

For a Computer Science class I'm taking. We are giving a algebraic equation and asked to write it in Pseudocode. I know I have to create variables for it but I'm not sure what the equation should look like.

If someone could post a example of what a equation could be and its equivalent in Pseudocode that would help a lot.

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Code-wise: int var1 = 40; int var2 = 30; int newValue = var1 + var2;

Pseudo-wise: a + b = c

Of course the equations are usually more complex, but this is a basic look. There really isn't anything to it.

3. gameguy3001 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I guess I was thinking it would be more complicated

4. kpua macrumors 6502

Don't you think that should be c = a + b? Pseudo-code is definitely not math. You still need to show assignment similar to how we do it in code. a + b = c looks like you're trying to assign a+b the value of c, which is nonsense.

In pseudo-code, the symbols you use really aren't terribly important, as long as you get the correct idea across. The above works, but I often see arrows used to make the assignment more explicit, as in the following:

c <- a+b

It's really all your preference, unless you get a teacher who's really strict about it. (You'd be surprised...)

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I kinda like the idea of right handed assignment statements. I have vague memories of some language that does it. a + b -> c

I can even see uses for a programming language that would accept assigning a value to an equation. Constrain a and b such that their sum is c. Each would then be an array of possible values.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well he specifically mentioned pseudo code for an equation so that's why I did it like that. As far as I've ever seen there's no rules for pseudo code, but I understand your point. Usually when I do pseudo code (which is rare) I use sentence form, kind of like AppleScript.

7. cruzrojas macrumors member

cruzrojas

On a Texas Instrument calculator you set values to your variables in this way. The language used by this calculators is similar to BASIC.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

COBOL works math to the right, except for the COMPUTE statement:

Code:
    ADD A TO B GIVING C.

It's also good for a pseudocode experience.

I wouldn't suggest using 1 character variable names, though, unless you're using a calculator.