Psi and iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zanwolf, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Zanwolf macrumors newbie

I've recently found a website that explains how i can use the webcam in my mac book through the MSN service through Psi.

I downloaded Psi, found a server, created my account etc and connected. Opened Address Book, added a friend.
    Opened iChat and did what was required, success!

Everything worked perfectly, but what the guides on how to get it to work through iChat don't explain is wether or not you need Psi open or not while running iChat.

This I ask because when in iChat I tried talking to one of my friends but I got a reply through Psi on the Jabber service I used, this is quite irritating because it defeats the object.

So is there something I've done wrong along the way or do I need to keep Psi open, and if so, how do I get it so my received messages come through iChat rather than Psi?

This is the site I used; http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/

2. Middling macrumors regular

Once you've set up the transport using Psi you don't need it anymore.

The reason you're receiving messages in Psi when both are open is because XMPP/Jabber allows you to set a priority on each logged in client. This would allow you to, for instance, leave a client logged in at work with a priority of "2", and then log in at home with a priority of "5" and all new messages would go to your home client.

Unfortunately iChat sets a default priority and doesn't allow you to change it. Best thing to do is simply to not run Psi at the same time (or you could manually set Psi to a lower priority than iChat).

You should note that none of this will allow you to use your webcam from iChat to MSN users. iChat uses a completely non-standard way of doing A/V, and WLM/MSN uses a different completely non-standard way of doing A/V. There is no way to do audio or video between the two.

As of the latest version Psi does do standard-based (Jingle) audio, and should work with other Psi users, as well as users of Gtalk (Windows client, and i think Gmail with Gtalk plugin), Pidgin (on *nix), Empathy (standard in Ubuntu 9.10), FreeSWITCH, and anything else that uses the Jingle standards. Wont work with iChat or MSN though. :D

3. Zanwolf thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.

So how do I change the priority on Psi so that it is lower that iChat's?

Thanks for the advice.