PSN and XBL Downtime

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Really sucks. My 12 year old nephew got a PS4 for christmas and was REALLY looking forward to playing Minecraft with me over the holidays. He hasn't even been able to sign into PSN.

Stupid kids who call themselves "hackers"... :mad:

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We've been unable to get into PSN on the Playstation 4 but we can get to Xbox Live on either the 360 or the One.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's been hit and miss for me on XBL (360 and One). One minute it's all working fine and the next it's varying degrees of failure.

4. brentmore, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

PSN still unavailable for me on a PS3 as of 5 minutes ago.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We haven't had any trouble with Xbox One or 360 connecting to Live. I've stabbed a few dozen people when playing Gun Game (Call of Duty: Ghosts).

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

XB Live still works, may be only need to manually sign in one more time, gaming and shopping not affected.

However, PSN, totally paralysed.

I've try it on all XB360, XB1, PS3, and PS4. Even try to use my iPhone apps to log in, same result.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't tried XBL today, but it sounds encouraging that it will be working when I give it a shot later.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I've been playing Ghosts on the One on and off today. No problems so far.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Meanwhile on the PC master race, I continue to get a flawless service without paying a single penny.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Do you play Gun Game?

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Is this a known thing or is it related to Sony's decision to release "The Interview", and Microsoft's decision to stream it as well?

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Hackers took down both services on xmas day with a DoS attack, Microsoft sorted theirs pretty quickly and got it back up and running sony are still struggling. (in more than one way!)

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I hadn't heard about it until this thread. I am going to check it out later.

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Both PSN and Xbox Live are up now. I've got a six-year-old wanting to download all the Disney Infinity Toy Boxes just in case PSN dies again. She is not impressed with the PS4 and thinks we should have got Disney Infinity on the Xbox One.

----------

I like Gun Game because everyone starts out with the same weapon. Each kill gets you a better weapon.

I really liked Hunted Free For All because it was like Free For All but everyone started wit the same weapon and limited ammo. You either had to get to weapon drops or take a weapon from a kill. But they removed Hunted Free For All to add Drop Zone.

The level playing field is something that I enjoy, rather than playing against people who have all beefed up their weaponry in certain areas.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I agree with that. :)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Both were taken down on late Christmas Eve (UK time at least), I couldn't get on Xbox Live until boxing day night, and PSN the morning after.

So I just played endless Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 with the family instead!

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

PSN is down right now, the girls are playing Disney Infinity in offline mode.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could just be the US servers, I was in GTA Online a few hours ago.

19. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

PSN finally back to normal. It's down for more than 72hr. I think this is one of the reason why I personally believe XBL is a better choice.

May be this is only true in Hong Kong, but my friends and me always have better connection on XBL than PSN.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Here in the USA it's been the same. PSN has been hit or miss for the last three days, Xbox Live has been up. Of course, we have Disney Infinity on the PS4 and not on the Xbox One.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

PSN has been down for me for days. Very annoying all told, Xbox live was down for about 48 hours only here. Hopefully Sony apologise by giving us all a free PSN game for the downtime...

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

PSN is up today, so the girls have been able to download Disney Infinity toy boxes. They don't have a high opinion of PSN after three days of spotty service.

23. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

If there is a conspiracy tie-in with The Interview hackers, then clearly the prime targets (among tech giants) would be:

#1. Sony (for producing The Interview). Check.

#2. Microsoft (for streaming it on their service). Check.

#3. Google (for showing it via YouTube). Haxxors still working on it?

24. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Lizard Squad are not linked to the DPRK.
    They are said to have done it to prove weakness in the systems.

A hacker claiming to be from Lizard Squad - a 22-year-old calling himself Member Two - said the group had hacked the sites "because we can".

25. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

New evidence shows a strong link between the Guardians of Peace group and the Lizard Squad.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/reports-reveal-possible-between-psn-sony-pictures-hacks-231534667.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30632711

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/12/29/a-qa-with-the-hackers-who-say-they-helped-break-in-to-sonys-network/

Lizard Squad. That's the hacker group whose name is suddenly on everyone's lips after it took credit for ruining Christmas for PlayStation and Xbox gamers everywhere.

But in an unusual interview Friday, a self-proclaimed member of the "cyberterrorist" group said Lizard Squad also played a role in the massive attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment. A person identifying himself as a Lizard Squad administrator said the group provided a number of Sony employee logins to Guardians of Peace, the organization that allegedly broke into Sony's network and prompted the film studio to initially withdraw "The Interview" from theaters.