PSN! Too good to be free?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Nov 20, 2009.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

To be honest. I foresaw this coming long ago, & dont give me that 'Sony said PSN will always be free' talk.

Sony's record of backtracking on promises, is as much as any other business (dual hdmi, 1080p FULL HD standard, backwards compatibility, linux). When they see a revenue stream, Sony are like any other company. Expect to pay for PSN... 'eventually'.....

At least you can still play online for free... we hope.

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

It's already announced everything they offer right now will always be free.

This is a subscription for premium content. Qore, custom avatars, dynamic themes, etc....

Basically all the crap nobody buys individually they will offer in a subscription package.

At least that's how it was explained in the rest of the press release that wasn't so buzzworthy....

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There’s a few things going on here.

First, Sony is currently undergoing a corporate overhaul to integrate their platforms. They want their TVs, computers, game consoles and music devices to work with their network services (PlayStation Network, Bravia Internet Link, etc) and contain content from their media companies (Sony Pictures, Sony Music, etc).

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/strategy/pdf/200911presen.pdf

For once in Sony’s history, their individual companies are communicating with each other.

As part of the effort, they’re going to launch an iTunes competitor based off the PSN Store — that will sell books, music and video. And they plan on introducing “premium subscription content” on the PSN.

"SCE will further increase sales by offering users new entertainment through the combination of hardware, software, peripheral and PlayStation Network," said PlayStation head Kaz Hirai in a statement.

"Especially in the online area, we are studying the possibility of introducing a subscription model, offering premium content and services, in addition to the current free services."

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2009/gb20091119_588376.htm

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/19/sony-to-expand-playstation-network-into-sony-online-service-sel/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-psn-subscription-a-possibility

Let’s hope they do. I look forward to subscribing to a Sony subscription service that lets me download Sony TV shows, Sony movies, Sony games, etc to my PS3, PSP, computer, etc.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you know Sony's corporate history or have been following PS3... There is never anything 'definitive' or 'always'.

At least this generation Sony may offer 'free online play' with subscription services elsewhere.

Next generation almost guarantees we will all be playing for online access with all our consoles.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't see the problem, Sony is finally connecting all their service into one PSN which can be very beneficial to owners of Sony products. I distinctly read that their will be premium charges involve(movies,music, books rentals) but multiplayer etc. will remain free.

Even if they decide to jib us with paying for online we all should be use to it....the shaft has been raping us since 2005.

Bless

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Next Gen may very well be a whole different ballgame.

I expect the entire face of the industry to change...

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sony is on track to do an app store similar to what you see on the iPhones and whatever you have it. This is what they are speaking to with "premium" content. Online game play has been and always will be free. I can say that some games like FFXIV will require monthly service charges, but what MMO doesn't nowadays (that is actually worth playing)?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Fair enough I say, if it brings in content then it's probably worth it. So long as online play will always be free, especially when its peer-to-peer.

9. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

the model dont seem that much different then the one there already using, download speeds from the store could be better but thats my only niggle so far :D