PSP 2 vs iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by whocaresit, Jan 22, 2011.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Any iPod touch owners considering to buy the PSP2 for games? It's going to be announced on January 27th. It's supposed to be "as powerful as PS3". :eek:

I know I'm going to buy the PSP 2 day 1 as an iPod touch owner.

2. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

I would consider the two as separate devices, as I currently own a 2G iPod touch and am looking to upgrade, if i decided to get the PSP2 i would still purchase an iPod touch for music and other things, the PSP would be used just as a games console, rather than the full media device I use my iPod for.

I don't class them as the same type of device so i wouldn't consider buying one over the other

3. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

Well you can class the iPod touch as a mobile gaming unit, but you can't really call the PSP as a media player even though it will probably have a built in music player and so on. So there is grounds to compare the two, but if you want a more well-rounded device then the iPod will always be the winner.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The PSP2 is not even announced yet, and we don't know how it's going to look like, and what kind of support it has for games (support for PSP1 games? UMD? PSN games? Relation to Android games? etc.). Personally, I have both the PSP and iPod Touch as I view them as two separate class of devices. But for one that doesn't have any PSP games yet, if one has to pick one or the other, I say go for the iPod Touch as anybody that doesn't have a PSP yet is more likely to be a casual gamer, and the iPod Touch has the best and cheaper selection of those kind of games.

5. rycexboi macrumors newbie

I've been using my psp from day 1 till now, I have to say it has served me well on all those days of traveling and such. So for sure im getting psp2. The thing about psp was that even though i used it for music also, it was not that great because I could not organize my music like I could for an Ipod, which is why I just recently got one. For me, I dont really consider ipod touch as anything else but a mp3 player and a psp as an all around multimedia with the bigger screen and better games. No doubt some apps on the touch are fun, but they are just short term games to kill a few minutes.

6. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Would an iPod nano not be better for you then if you are just using your iPod for music? I know if i used a PSP everyday i would not need an iPod touch, my iPod keeps me occupied when I am on the train to college and the gym. If i had a dedicated handheld gaming device that I took everywhere then I am not sure I would get a touch.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I'm one of the coolest people on earth because I can buy and play on more than 1 device, though not simultaneously, yet.

I'll get a PSP2. I'll buy some killer games for it.
    I'll still be playing my iPod touch 4 (occasionally, I find there aren't many "superdeep" games like dedicated systems).
    I'll still be playing my classic Gameboy too.

8. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Many people do this. I carry my iPod around with me for on the go entertainment, then my PC at home for gaming and my Xbox 360 for "proppa" gaming with a controller and all

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then you are also a cool person.
    But nah, I was only poking fun at the fanboys who can only play games on machines made by their fave manufacturer - be it Apple, Nintendo or Sony.

We have got some concrete details that slipped out in the past few hours with an official announcement later in the week-

3G connectivity option (using NTT DoCoMo in Japan)
    OLED display

10. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

No idea. I need to see what it's going to look like first.

11. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

As powerful as PS3? So does this news mean PS3 sucks?:confused:

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

I've been watching the live stream for the last hour right here -

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kotaku-japan実況

Live blog -

http://www.engadget.com/liveblog/live-from-sonys-tokyo-event/

Looks like the original PSP, but I still want it! I don't mind the bigger screen as long it is has round edges and is more comfortable to hold for a longer period time than a DS. The original PSP back in 2004 had a great and sleek design anyway and it is not like the 3DS looks anymore different than a DSi. I don't like sliders as it can break easier. I just hope memory stick pro duos can still work with it as well as all the PSN downloads I bought for it. The SD card looks proprietary again. Damn it, Sony! The LiveArea interface looks nice though.

My #1 wishlist for 2011. I don't care if it doesn't match PS3 graphics. I am content with the 6th gen graphics. If this device can emulate PS1, PS2, and PSP games, I am happy. Give me Shenmue on a portable, and I'll be making plans for my camp-out and be willing to pay over $400+ for it if I have to. Sony can make a system that can last 10 years and this portable has that potential like the PS1 and PS2.

13. fel10 macrumors 65832

fel10

They announced it today, and it looks like a freaking beast. Is it going to substitute my iPod??? No. But I'm definitely getting the new PSP2 for gaming. Day one buy for me!!!

14. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Quad core cortex A9 cpu + quad core GPU. LOL good bye gaming on iphone 4.

15. rycexboi macrumors newbie

That was my first choice until I checked it out at the Apple store, it was too small for me.

16. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

When I saw those confingurations of NGP, the first thing I am think is how much would be more expensive than iPod Touch.

17. Drucifer macrumors regular

Looks nice but I don't want to imagine the launch price. I remember buying the PSP on launch day and it was pricey. Unfortunately not much came out for the system for awhile but I still like it, my favorite PSP titles are the Patapon series, LocoRoco, and of course the Monster Hunter series. ;)

I don't think I'll be getting a PSP2 though at least until it is at a decent price point.

Not to mention there are many features of the iPod Touch that I use everyday that I know I would never use on the PSP2 such as the MP3 player.

18. elan123 macrumors 6502

Just doesn't compare with controls and all that... meh.

19. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Yeah, iPod Touch and NGP are in different level and experience.

20. MisterK macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't see why these two devices would be in different catagories. As far as I understand, both are media players and gaming systems. If you're more into the media aspect, get the iPod. The PSP2 is better for the more involved games. The physical controls are the biggest advantage of the PSP for gaming, of course.

Theres no price on the PSP2 yet, but the specs look incredible. I feel owning both is a little redundant.

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I think it will appeal to gamers that don't feel that a smartphone or Touch are enough to fill their portable gaming needs. I know there is a market, but price and games (and how they compare to Nintendo) will determine it's success. I don't think the Touch will lose many potential buyers because most people don't buy the Touch for serious gaming. However, I do think there were people that bought the PSP the first time around because gaming on phones just wasn't as satisfying back then, but will skip it this time around.

In other words, I think the Touch/iPhone has filled the niche of the casual gamer, so the PSP is probably looking at even a smaller market this time around. If they could get remote play to work with the PS3 games, it could be more interesting because it would more effectively tap into their current group of gamers.

22. Tedrob135 macrumors newbie

Ugly

My personal opinion is that the new psp2 is ugly.
    I can see it's potential but all I need is something to carry in my pocket for whenever I need it. Carrying analog sticks in your pocket would be uncomfortable.
    Also the iPod touch is good for other things than gaming e.g you can type word documents on it.
    The psp2 is just another trick of marketing just like ever other electric device (most the time)

I have the 4th gen iPod touch and will be sticking with it.

23. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

iPod Touch with lightweight and powerful ios system. Refer to ugly, I do not mind the shape of PSP2, but when I saw a picture of the UI of PSP2, that's make my cry, much more urly than PSP:(

24. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Sony has always been a console with few games. Apple, perhaps more closed, has thousands of games—and some very crappy.

So it's up to you, more game choice regardless of crapiness, or fewer games in an expensive console.

25. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

PSP 2 vs iTouch? Comparison not valid.

PSP 2 is for gaming fans, not iTouch fans. If you brought an iTouch and consider that a gaming platform, you won't comprehend the PSP.
    What's the point of the iTouch anyway, you can't even download a game without being near a wifi or connected to a computer. Much better value in an iPhone, you get the whole package. What, do iTouch people not own cell phones?

Having a screen the size of an iTouch and calling it a gaming platform is calling a Kia a Benz. The iTouch is a disposable device for disposable entertainment.