Psp Go Vs ITouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nsutton, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Nsutton macrumors member

Nsutton

I have a Ipod Touch 1st generation. I'm pretty happy with it. I mainly use it for music and games.

But as it is a 1st generation, it's condition isn't great and I think it's time to upgrade.

But now that the new Psp Go has come out I'm temped to get that instead because it can play music and the games seem alot more involved (that's a good thing).

Should I buy a psp go instead of a new ipod touch?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd recommend finding a store where you can try gaming on it. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you're mostly into playing games then a PSP will suit u right. But if u like blogging, surfing the web, among other things, then get a new Touch.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This is based on preferences...esp. if you're gna ask a question on a mac site :p
    I personally like the iPod touch more since I have one...but my brother likes his psp more since he has one. So try em both out and see which you would enjoy playing with more. :D

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would never touch the PSP Go. Cheap build quality and inability to play UMD games kills it. The PSP 3000 is far better for gaming. The PSP Go was made to suck and that's a fact.

I would choose the iPod touch third generation. I know some people still call it the second generation, but the third generation has a faster processor and better graphics so it deserves the 3G title.

You can get over 100,000 apps to play with, games, utilities, entertainment, news, etc instead of the PSN store or whatever store Sony has set up for PSP Go users to buy games. You get Apple's high quality and aesthetic design instead of Sony's poor quality and 3 year old doodling on paper design. App Store games aren't that bad and all of them are cheaper than one PSP title. Most are a few bucks and big game companies like Gameloft, EA, etc. all have App Store games.

Also, the iPod touch's graphics are superior to the PSP Go's. It has a faster graphics chip and faster processor. It's also got a better web browser. And it's easier to manage media because of iTunes. The PSP Go software sucks on Windows and is just a POS on Mac.

Gameplay. What's more involved than moving your iPod like a steering wheel or using the touchscreen? The PSP Go doesn't support UMDs and you have to buy ALL of your games via the PSN store or whatever it is. If you plan on having music, you're limited to 16GB for games and music. Usually PSP games are 1GB+ each, such as Crisis Core, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo, etc. App Store games are usually in the hundreds of MBs area.

6. Nsutton thread starter macrumors member

Nsutton

Really?! I never would have tought that the ipod touches graphics are better than psp's...

Well would the Psp 3000 be a good option or is that a POS?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I disagree. It is solidly built

Of those 100,000, most are well crap.
    The pspgo is built for gaming. The ipod is not. As such, the psp will be and is a better gaming platform as that is the focus
    Sorry, I LOL'd quite a bit there

steering wheel? touchscreen? those are the worst controls really for gaming. Especially for a device that relies on that as its SOLE input

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

PSP 3000 definitely. There are more games and you aren't limited to Sony's store. There's also an UMD.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The PSP is a better gaming platform, but not the Go model. It's so limited with no UMD drive and one option of storage capacity. If you want to add music or videos, you have to go through Sony's software which is poor. On top of that, there are few games released for the Go compared to the 3000.

I could say buttons are the worst controls for gaming, especially for a device that relies on that as its SOLE input, but I'm not. It's a matter of preference.

On the graphics, I'm wrong in saying that one is faster than the other. The PSP Go uses the PowerVR SGX543MP while the iPod touch 3G uses the PowerVR SGX535MP. I doubt there is significant difference but want to correct myself nonetheless.

On the processor, the PSP GO uses a MISP clocked at 333Mhz but can go up to 480Mhz. It has 64MB of ram. The iPod touch 3G uses an ARM11 Cortex A8 clocked at 633MHz and can go up to 800MHz. It has 256MB of ram. Obviously, the ARM11 is more powerful due to the clock speed being nearly twice as fast.

10. johnnyhow macrumors regular

If you are going to buy a psp, do not get the GO! You can only buy games from the psp store so getting a discount or a pre owned game is out of the question. Plus, download limits, purchasing a game online will eat up those precious gigs you pay for each month in the form of an Internet plan. You can't play the games on other pspgos, and you can't borrow games
    from friends.

As for the iPod option- well, prices for games rarely exceed the ten dollar mark.

Ofcourse the downside to the touch is,
    most of the apps on the app store are... Pure trash. They really belong in the bin. Also, touch controls are harder to use than tradition buttons/ dpad.

11. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I own a psp go and ipod touch 32gb 3rd gen and can say that the touch is good for casual games nothing can beat a dedicated gaming handheld in intensive gaming.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This.
    The Go is junk compared to the 3000. I honestly don't know why somebody would get one, even as a potential new buyer you're a slave to their download store. Whereas on a UMD PSP you can buy cheap secondhand games, cheap firsthand games, imports.
    It's a well made machine for sure (so long as you don't play games can be played on the side, like pinball games) but the 3000 is better.

But out of the 3000 and iPod? I don't know. The 3000 is the better gaming device, it also looks great watching films on. But the iPod is better for music.

13. SebZen macrumors 6502

I have a PSP 3000 and a touch. I haven't touched the 3000 ever since I got the touch, but it isn't because the PSP is bad or not interesting, I'm just fed up of the serious games. I'm now a casual gamer.

If you play games a lot (more than a few hours a day), or want more in-depth games, get a PSP. Otherwise I'd recommend sticking with a touch.

I definitely wouldn't call a touch a gaming platform. It's got some cool games and all, but nothing that will keep you playing them as long as a PSP game would. On the other hand you're paying $1-5 per game vs $20-40 per game.

P.S if you do get a 3000, definitely sign up for GameFly. You'll save TONS of money

14. ~NeonFire372~ macrumors member

The PSP/PSPGo and iPod Touch are on different levels, really. There are a lot of excellent games for the PSP platform and a lot of games on the App Store but the majority are more casual, "on the go" games as opposed to PSP's lineup like God of War Chains of Olympus, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, etc.

As for the PSP Go vs. PSP 3000, definitely go for the 3000. It's a bit bigger, but UMD support is great and you can find used cheap games on UMD whereas on the PSN Store Sony sets the price.

15. sarashah macrumors newbie

i will recommend you to buy PSP Go, as you already have i Pod Touch so no need to buy new ipod touch.