PSP Go - Without Windows

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Nezza, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

This is proving a surprisingly hard question to find a decent answer to as Sony don't seem to be too free with info. Basically can you actually get games for the PSP Go without having access a Windows machine?

My brother is dropping less then subtle hints that he wants one for his upcoming 21st birthday. But at home the family machine is OSX and there is no way that I'm installing Windows purely to use a PSP.

He does have a PS3 and I know that they have a games store. Could he buy games for the PSP Go though that?

Any answers will be appreciated as I don't want us to waste our money on something he couldn't actually use.

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Of course! You can either download games from your PS3, or directly on your PSP. And you can easily manage music and other media by plugging it in to your computer via USB, or using an application like PSP Ware (http://www.nullriver.com/products/pspware)

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Can you? I thought PSPgo! Software was tied to hardware and had to be downloaded on the machine directly.

5. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Software, but can't you still transfer media from your comp?

6. Nezza thread starter macrumors member

Nezza

Thanks for the answers everyone. I understand how it all works a little better now.

Cheers

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

There's four ways of getting software onto the PSPgo!

1) Direct download over WiFi to the PSPgo! from the PlayStation Store on the device. You'll need to be connected to a WiFi network for this to work.

2) Transfer from a PS3 over USB. Download the software on the PS3 from the PS Store and then connect the PSPgo! up, and hit copy.

3) Transfer from a PC via the included software. Doesn't work on Macs.

4) Memory stick.

The exception to the above is the 3 free games given to EU customers. Those have to be done using option 1, otherwise DRM stops them working.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks for clearing that up Peskaa :)

9. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The Go Media software is actually pretty cool, as you can transfer games and also save files between different PSP systems ... but at least some games won't let you use saves from one on a different system.

I tend to buy everything on the Go itself, but recently bought a couple of Minis (of the *7* available in the US!) on the PC.