PSP Topples Nintendo Hardware in Japan

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Coded-Dude, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

There were only 77k FF PSP's, so I'm sure the sales will go back down some, but it seems that the release of PSP 'lite' was a good move for Sony.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't even think that was possible!

Now please stop clamping down on homebrew (by all means piracy, but Cave Story PSP :( ).

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow... I always was partial to the FF7 storyline, but I had no idea it had spun off into its own little gaiden to this extent!

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Annnddddd.... the DS will take the cake again next week.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

We'll see what happens when Dragon Quest IX releases.

It won't be pretty.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a temporary rush to buy the new. I seriously doubt it will last long.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ouch, yea I forgot about DQ. Any release date penned for that yet? I'm getting into Japanese RPGs :)

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

9. Coded-Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I actually think Dissidia will beat week one Crisis Core sales. just mo opinion though. :)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

A combination of major releases (including a Final Fantasy title, which usually sells RIDICULOUS numbers) and the release of a new hardware model accomplished this. It's impressive, but it's not going to be sustained.

Still, Bravo Sony.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We all know Sony could sell more if it wasn't artificially limiting sales
    le joke!

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

In any case its pretty nice to see a company try to take on the handheld market and actually succeed. Now Sony might not be number but it is still doing pretty good.

Seeing diversity in the handheld market is a nice thing, hopefully Sony will keep it up and stop dropping the ball like with the PS3.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

When Silent Hill:0rigins come out that will be an extra bump for sony....of course it might not last long but at least the PSP is standing firm.

Bless

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I agree....I questioned the PSP when it first came out, but I bought when during the summer this year, mostly for the new star wars battlefront. Killzone is great on it...very very different then anything on DS, or PS2. God of War looks great for, Loco Roco is tons of fun.

A handheld well worth buying, IMO

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For a system with less good games than the DS it should really cost a bit less. In town today I was considering picking one up and not bothering with homebrew, the shop guy got out a Slim PSP and yea. A huge improvement. Shame the cheapest way of buying it was through a £150 bundle (console and game from a naff selection - give me Monster Hunter dammit). Plus they only had ¨Piano Black¨ in stock where I'm after the white one... um... ¨Piano white¨?

I want one. I just don't think it's worth a penny over £100.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

thats totally subjective though, I think the PSP has way better games than the DS.

But yeah it should be a little bit cheaper, in Canada the Daxter Pack is $229.99 which isn't bad considering you get Daxter (great game) family guy UMD (meh) and a 1GB mem stick when it really should be about $199/179

17. Coded-Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

not really sure how quality og or even number of games should drive a price.....:confused:
    I always thought price was subject to the technology inside the console itself. ;)

Anywho, I think we may see number like this again, if Sony can drop the price of the NEW model alongside a highly anticipated release(like Dissidia or God of War) and bundle them together.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

'Cuz it's all about the games? I couldn't care less what's inside. I'm not going to spend £150 on a games system with less good games than fingers on my feet.

But then again you paid £599 for a system without games which is an alien concept for me ;)

19. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

:confused::eek: 150?! x( dam makes me wish for a PSP/mac emulator!

I'm actually surprised to see sony last this long and a good if not great competitor in the handheld enviroment along side nintendo! Ya'll remember Neo Geo pocket?! poor thing didn't even last one Quarter before it died in 2000!!

In one market the DS outsells the PSP and vise versa, a while back I read an online article that mentioned that in the EU, the DS was the more favored handheld over the PSP, but in the US it's a mix even level. there is a half that is PSP and the other DS! what does surprises me is that the PS2 and the PSP have outsold the PS3!! and the 360 lagging behind?! hmmmmm this looks like it's going to be an interesting winter!!!!

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, in all regions the DS outsells everything (on rare occasions Wii outsells the DS) unless a new system is launched. After a week or 2 everything is restored back to normal.

21. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

you know that has always been like that, and it's what makes nintendo a leader on the handheld enviroment!

:apple:

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you're such a troll jimmi, go back under your bridge...