PSP2 coming in June

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gan6660, Apr 7, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

With todays rumor that the psp2 will be out before christmas and its pretty much confirmed to be released at E3. Will you be buying one? Will it steal some of the iphones thunder?

2. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

gosh no
    and i am excited about the PSP2
    would like to see new features
    but this shouldnt be on here

plus* psp v.s. iphone
    is not a major competitor

PSP is a gaming system 1st
    iPod/iPhone is a Music System 1st/ CellPhone

i doubt Apple sits there in a meeting
    wonder how to out due the PSP
    i mean they have better things to worry about

im pretty sure people wont go all out on a PSP
    now that there's an ipod touch

i know before the age of the touch
    the PSP was used as the music player because it was handy and cheaper

but now since the ipod/iphone touch can do everything an PSP can do ...
    even the iPod/iphone can play games
    yes not like PSP games
    but then the PSP
    doesn't have the design or portability of the iPod
    I'm sure Apple isn't worried or was ever worried

:D
    but cant wait
    too see sony's new idea kinda hyped for it :D

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'm pretty sure only one can make phone calls...Unless of course, you count Skype on the PSP.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Surely you mean the iPhone will be stealing the PSP2's thunder?

If as predicted the next iPhone will have proper onboard graphics, and probably a multicore processor, then it will be capable of better graphics than the PSP, and so will walk all over any device Sony comes out with.

6. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Supposedly, it will come with a sliding touchscreen, no umd drive, on board memory, memory card slot, better graphics, faster load times

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

First, dude, your title is misleading. Out before Christmas doesn't mean June. E3 is in June, where they will announce it, if it's coming out.

Also, on-board memory, better graphics and faster load times are mentioned no where in the pocket-gamer article which is the heart of all this (time). This is how people get disappointed when only a marginally upgrade comes out.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So was that post supposed to look like a poem? :p

Anyway it would be great if the PSP2 dumped the UMD and added a right nub, but I think this is a little early. I guess Sony needs to do something since the DSi (and even maybe the iPhone) is hurting their sales, so why not pull a Microsoft and release their next handheld a year before Nintendo! I would love to hear more (and maybe see) stuff at E3 this year but right now I would rather wait for a new PSP; I mean, I just bought a new DS!

9. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

The current PSP is 4 years old (5 in japan) and has only had minor tweaks in those years. i am confident that a true psp2 will be confirmed in june and released this fall. On a side note did you get the Dsi? I want one and will probably get it over spring break. How do you like it?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh wait no, there isn't a PSP2 coming in June after all.

11. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Nope I won't buy one. I'll just mess around with it in stores. =)

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you cheeky bugger :p

and according to the rockin' rumour department, the "PSP 2" will be a revision not a true PSP successor.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173626

"This source is described as "not Dave Perry, but is a developer working on the new hardware" (Perry, for those unaware, was the first to publicly reveal details about this rumored device). As previous rumors suggested, the source says the new device (which likely won't be so much a successor to the PSP but more of a major revision) will have a large sliding screen, but also reveals it will in fact be a touchscreen. Under the touchscreen, there will be a set of conventional controls, including buttons, a D-Pad, and most importantly, dual analog sticks (whether they're actually sticks and not nubs is hard to say, but PocketGamer uses the word "sticks"). "

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yes, I guess it has been 4 years, but I think usually handhelds last a bit longer (don't quote me).

*checks that* I guess the GBA was only about 4 years before the DS, whatever :p

Well sure, Sony is claiming they aren't developing a PSP2. But these rumors (no UMD, touchscreen, 2 nubs) would make something that would be a HUGE change from the current PSP.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Seems like a huge change from the current PSP...I'm not sure how they'd keep supporting both with the same games

They'd need a clean break if they are to fix the short comings of the PSP

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Confident based on what? There is nothing substantial to back up your claims. While it is acceptable to think Sorny is working on a successor to the PSP making outlandish claims without any facts to back it up is plain foolish.

Based on what? You have about as much information to go on as the OP, which is basically nothing. Troll elsewhere.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly, I'd likely buy it....while I favor my DS, as I've bought each one, I do like a PSP. I'm a few hardware updates behind(still on PSP-1000) but give me a dual joy stick, PSN based, increased graphic...I think i'd purchase!

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

[​IMG]

If it looks anything like this then yes I'll probably buy or at least trade up.

How will it steal any of iphones thunder ? At the end of the day the iphone is a phone that plays games, the psp/2 is a handheld that plays games and not a phone ?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ I was halfway through writing a post about why thunder stealing isn't going to happen with anything that sells as well as the DS, PSP and iPhone but thought this was more of a pointless thread than something to have a proper discussion in.

Same here. I loves me handhelds consoles, they're my biggest vice :eek: I mean why the hell did I buy a GB Micro?!

19. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I admit, I probably will too :p.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

why does everyone quote that thing? It looks sexy but the PSP gives me cramps NOW, imagine THAT damn thing? ow.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your meant to play with it in your hands - not between your legs :rolleyes::p

Wait...... that's not what I had in mind cheeky..... :D

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if that's it, then i'll probably get one

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It was likely made by some design student who hadn't thought about how you would actually play it.
    Go grab a game controller but don't let your fingers hold it below the face buttons. Ouch.

24. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

As it stands, there is no real need for a PSP2, the DS is still lagging behind in power, so the PSP can still pull off better games.

Sony are heavily developing OLED, and an increased DPI, and the PSP seems a perfect place to implement a 720p OLED Screen, and a 1.8" SSD :D

Seriously, i keep buying PSP's, its an addiction, think im on my 10th now (Custom Red and White :D)