Pssword Invalid

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maxso48, May 15, 2009.

1. maxso48 macrumors newbie

I have an airport connection problem also. I am connecting through an SMC wireless router which only has WEP encryption. When my brand new Mac Workbook asks for my password to connect, I enter the 10 digits exactly as I did on my other IBM Pcs but the new Mac indicates the password is invalid. What can I do to get connected?

2. MedHead macrumors regular

Try connecting to the network via ethernet or using another computer. Go on to the router and then check the WEP key, a 10 character key seems a bit short to me.

Hope this helps!

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

10 characters is right. Thats a valid number of digits. But just verify on your routers setup page that you've got the exact code.

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

5. DNH macrumors member

dollar sign?

I'm sure this is easily found using the forum search, but don't hex WEP passwords need to be entered with a dollar sign ($) in front of the password?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When the passcode is WEP Hex, start with "0x" (that is zero, ex) followed by the code, that will force the Airport Software to send the code in HEX mode, regardless of what setting is set for the encryption from the drop-down menu. However, it is my experience, that WEP codes are 13 or 26 characters, whereas 10 digits are usually used for WPA. I only know this because I work in tech support for an ISP that supplies wireless DSL modems, which used to be WEP and are transitioning to WPA.

TEG

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup.