PSU failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beerglass007, Dec 10, 2016.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Had my new 15" MBP 2016 ( fully loaded ) for 2 days and it wouldn't charge which was a real issue when in a workshop at work and couldn't complete due to lack of battery power

Because its so new everyone else in the room had standard mag-safe power bricks and couldn't help or test

I called Apple care and they said...is the LED on the power cable? WTF this isn't a mag safe cable with LED its a 2M USB C cable...DOH

I was then told to do a SMC reset, wait for the CHIME....again DOH it doesn't have a startup noise

In the end I was so mad I drove to the local Apple Store 50 miles away, I called the store whilst in the car and put onto the walkin waiting list....4 hours wait I was told.

In the end I turned up at the local store and plugged my 15" MacBook into there demo units and it started to charge. I explained to the staff and given a new PSU brick, got it home and its the wrong type, I have the 13" 61W not the large 87W unit.

Called Apple Care and said this wasn't good service for a £3800 laptop and now got another PSU coming in the post.

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

So your computer's accessory had a hardware issue and Apple is replacing it. Front page news.

3. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, its a public internet and public forum....get over it buddy

4. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Damn,I thought my MBP was expensive!

Glad Apple sorted the issue out for you mate.

5. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah they did in the end. Its not nice whilst its happening to you. When I called Apple they were saying I would need to book an appointment to get the laptop serviced, I was like...NO its 2 days old it doesn't get serviced it gets replaced. Then realised that I would end up waiting 5 weeks for a new one..

Just really glad it was the PSU. I think Apple should really have stock to replace faulty devices, they need to be able to support the people who already have these in the wild

6. Phoenixx Suspended

Phoenixx

What you have encountered is just how bad Apple's customer service has become. I had a similar experience when one of the plastic feet fell off the bottom of my Macbook Pro (2013), one year after purchase. I rang "customer service" to get a replacement foot, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. It took 3 phonecalls, being hung up on once, and then being called back 4 days later by a supervisor for them to suggest replacing the ENTIRE bottom panel (at my expense of course), at a store that serviced Apple products (nearest one requires a TWO HOUR journey each way and it would require TWO journeys; 8 hours in total of travelling time).

This was all for a plastic foot that was cosmetic only, and I could buy online in a set of 4 for $4. In the end I simply laughed at them; told them I use my Macbook Pro for work and could not afford the two WEEK wait for the bottom panel to be replaced; told them the situation was ridiculous and their service was crap; and glued the foot back onto the chassis myself.