PSU or processor failure on quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sree04silverdr, Aug 6, 2013.

1. sree04silverdr macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    This is my first thread here! Here is the issue I am having with my mac.
    I have a Quicksilver (OS X 10.5.8) that I got ine 2004. I am just now having problems with it.
    Around 4 months ago I noticed that the computer would turn off while in sleep mode. It happened every once in a while maybe 2 or 3 times a month. Last month though it was happening a lot. I would take out the power cord wait a few minutes and then plug it in again and it would work.
    A couple of days ago I had several tasks going on at the same time (was on-line, working on CS, updating my iPod and burning a dvd), for less than hour and the computer shuts off and I tried the above steps and it doesn't turn on anymore.
    Does it sound like the power supply is gone or something else? Please help!
    Thanks!

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

It could be the power supply but it also sounds like the PMU might need to be reset.

It's a little tiny button on the logic board.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

Follow Apple's instructions exactly at the above link and only press it ONCE. If that solves your problem that's all it is.

If not, then it's most likely the power supply, but others here should have more experience to help you.

3. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks cocacolakid, i will try it tonight and see what happens!!!

4. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

Did I mention that when I do cold boot on the computer the date changes to 1969? Hopefully resetting the PMU will fix it all!!!

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

6. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

whats the name of it and where can I get it? is it expensive??

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Search for "er14250/s" on ebay or elsewhere. Here in Germany results are listed for between 3 and 10 Euro, old stock, but still orginally packed.

Dying battery can cause all kind of havoc on startup, if it's missing /100% dead the PMac should go back to defaults (and boot o.k. if you have a standard setup). If it has just slighly low voltage info in the NVRam might get corrupted to the point of a non booting Mac.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

...or just "3.6 V Lithium 1/2 AA battery".
    OP: Open up your QS and you'll see it on logic board. Most likely it will be violet-black-green (Tadiran). Any meeting these specs (not necesarilly colors ;)) will do.

9. cocacolakid, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Just to expand on what the others said, If it's not keeping the date anymore that just means the battery is dead. It's also on the logic board close to the PMU reset button. Be careful taking it out so you don't damage the connectors it fits into. And don't use a butter knife to pry it out! If you need to use something and don't have a spudger or computer specific tool, you could use a sturdy plastic knife, maybe even a toothpick might help pry it up enough to pull out. Here in the U.S. they cost around $10, just for reference, but you won't find them in a regular store, have to look online or in a specialized battery shop. If you go to a store take the old one with you to compare.

10. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    so last night I opened up my mac and reset the PMU, I held the button and released it right away (am I supposed to hold it down longer?) Anyway, I plugged everything back in and it still wouldn't turn on. Quick question, by replacing the battery will it necessarily get the computer to turn on or am I looking at a failed PSU?

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Dead, PSU, dead mobo or dead front panel (my money would be on the PSU).

Does the PowerLED come on for a short moment ? Do the fans kick in before turning of again ?

If you got a spare ATX-PSU at hand you might try changing some wires on it as detailed here:
    http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml