Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idkew

macrumors 68020
wrldwzrd89 said:
:eek: Windows ME? :eek:
Wait just a minute, I see your point now...but I've never known a Windows user that loved Windows crashes (unless they also used Macs, like you do).

i just find it funny they refuse to upgrade from the worst MSFT os ever made.

hours are spent fixing crashes, but they don't want to invest the time to reformat, upgrade.... by now they would have save 20 hours of work...

but- they have a pc, what do they expect? they have no firewall. HAD a wideopen 801.11 network, before i closed it, so i could use it....

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
I don't own any x86 machines, but I was pretty impressed with my friend's knoppix machine. About the only things I've seen that impressed me at all on anything Windows-related have been games. If they're not a big deal, then I see no reason not to go with FreeBSD or a Linux distribution.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
thatwendigo said:
I don't own any x86 machines, but I was pretty impressed with my friend's knoppix machine.

Knoppix is great!

About the only things I've seen that impressed me at all on anything Windows-related have been games. If they're not a big deal, then I see no reason not to go with FreeBSD or a Linux distribution.

Games shouldn't hold you back from linux! Use http://www.winehq.com/ 's program.

Stable OS + gaming = happier life. :D

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
dvdh said:
Edit: Looking back at the post, I see I am not the only OS/2 fan. Please, IBM give us that system back.....although it wouldn't exactly get me switch from Mac. :)

It's still out there and it's still stable. At this point you might as well use Linux though. Microsoft did a good job at out-muscling IBM. os/2warp had a chance once, but Windows 95 (technically Microsoft's marketing department) killed it. Sad. It wasn't the first time and it certainly wasn't the last time.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dopefiend said:
Knoppix is great!

Games shouldn't hold you back from linux! Use http://www.winehq.com/ 's program.

Stable OS + gaming = happier life. :D

I love Knoppix too! It's my favorite x86 Linux distribution. I wonder if there's any way to use it on a hard drive, instead of on a CD - if this was possible, I'd put it on a Windows box and use it instead of Windows whenever possible (but I'd still keep Windows around since I may need it for something).

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
dopefiend said:
Current version 2096 works great, i'd recommend going ahead and downloading it. Seems bug free on my windows machine

No thanks - I don't feel like re-imaging 30+ Dells if/when it goes bad.

Once there's an official release, I'll test it out on a machine or two to see if there are any issues like Win2K SP4 before rolling it out.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
dopefiend said:
Current version 2096 works great, i'd recommend going ahead and downloading it. Seems bug free on my windows machine

sp2.JPG

Current version is 2120 and yes, it's been solid since RC1. I don't know why on earth they're talking about late summer release.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Rower_CPU said:

:eek: I can understand that, lol.

MorganX said:
Current version is 2120 and yes, it's been solid since RC1. I don't know why on earth they're talking about late summer release.

Me either, but I do know that people are going to love it and I bet its going to cut down on viruses being spread, as well as people installing stupid stuff in I.E.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
The introduction of the Windows registry in Windows 95 was MS's biggest mistake in their history. That PoS is caused people more problems. They've made decent strides in Windows 2000 and XP with the reg but its still a massive Achilles heel for Windows. Thank god MS was smart enough to start making backups of the reg automatically.

...Windows 3.1 introduced the registry

http://www.win31.de/etips.htm#regedit

OS/2
Red Hat or Mandrake for *nix newbies
SuSE (Go Novell!)
BeOS
FreeBSD

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Rower_CPU said:

Once there's an official release, I'll test it out on a machine or two to see if there are any issues like Win2K SP4 before rolling it out.

Two things:

1. VirtualPC: SP2 works great, as does Longhorn 4074 ;>

2. Ghost 8.0 (multicasting from a centralized console and great support for USB or Firewire, finally.)

These two products are fabulastic!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
idkew said:
i just find it funny they refuse to upgrade from the worst MSFT os ever made.

hours are spent fixing crashes, but they don't want to invest the time to reformat, upgrade.... by now they would have save 20 hours of work...

but- they have a pc, what do they expect? they have no firewall. HAD a wideopen 801.11 network, before i closed it, so i could use it....
Are you referring to Windows ME users in general, or a previous post that I haven't read? I agree with your point, though - I, too, find it funny.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
MorganX said:
Two things:

1. VirtualPC: SP2 works great, as does Longhorn 4074 ;>

2. Ghost 8.0 (multicasting from a centralized console and great support for USB or Firewire, finally.)

These two products are fabulastic!

I might look into VPC for some beta testing, if we ever get a decent budget again.

I use Ghost all the time for lab/staff machines. It's still a waste of my time to re-image often. That said, I am looking forward to the new WinPE features and NTFS support in Ghost 8.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Obviously the responses I'm seeing are from people who are biased, which is to be expected considering this is a Mac forum. In any case, having been a PC user for about 10 years and just having purchased a PB about 2 months ago, I'm a little miffed about some comments.

Windows XP is by far the best Windows operating system Microsoft has released to date. All this talk about registry problems and getting six viruses on a 15 day old XP install stem from poor user management, not inherently flaws in the operating system. All of these problems can be avoided quite simply by:

1. Using a firewall. My machine has NEVER, EVER, been infected with any worms because of my firewall. If you have a broadband connection, there is no excuse for not having a firewall. You should get one for the sake of security whether you own a PC or a Mac.

2. Never has my registry become corrupted, nor has my machine refused to boot because some applications preferences have been screwed up. Its as easy as opening regedit and deleting the offending key should said "corruption" occur. This is no different from searching your Mac for the preferences file that is broken.

3. Most of the problems you have on the Windows platform is from 3rd party applications. The Mac comes with so much software built and installed by Apple, that most Mac users don't experience problems like these. I think we all know that if Microsoft started including additional applications like Mail, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, you would have even more companies screaming monopoly than there current are. I think its pretty clear that if Apple had the market share that Microsoft has, Apple would be in court over Safari instead of Microsoft and Internet Explorer.

In the end, the issue ultimately boils down to be an informed user capable of using your computer wisely. The Mac platform has just as many problems as the Windows platform. With such a small user base however any problems remain relatively low key. Try to tell me otherwise and I will point out the numerous security updates issued by Apple already for OSX.

Don't get me wrong, I dig my Mac, and I love OSX. I think OSX has Windows XP beaten by far in the usability department. Unfortunately, its the Mac zealot mentality that makes many Mac users look foolish when they spout off about PCs knowing little to nothing about them. The Mac platform is the way it is because Apple holds your hand the entire time you use it. Windows doesn't.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
You need an OS for x86??? OpenStep, of course!

BeOS would also be on my list. Or go really retro with DR-DOS 6 and GeoWorks/NewDeal.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Celeron said:
All this talk about registry problems and getting six viruses on a 15 day old XP install stem from poor user management, not inherently flaws in the operating system.
In the end, the issue ultimately boils down to be an informed user capable of using your computer wisely. The Mac platform has just as many problems as the Windows platform. With such a small user base however any problems remain relatively low key. Try to tell me otherwise and I will point out the numerous security updates issued by Apple already for OSX.

I strongly disagree. OS X is much more secure out of the box and avoids enabling features such as RPC that enable remote exploitation of the system. Yes, you can make yourself a lot more secure, but why has it taken MS until SP2 to address these settings that should be on/off by default? OS X is safer to use without having to dig through system settings.

The existence of security updates for OS X is a moot point - all OSes have them; it's a question of degree. How many of Apple's security updates address flaws that could allow a 3rd party control of a system? How many of Microsoft's? Food for thought.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
haha thanks for the replies guys.
celeron: i am not joking about my virus dilemma and i'm not that biased when it comes to OSs, like i honestly think xp in some ways is better than os x, but now even those reasons to use xp are diminishing quickly. i'm just really frustrated with it right now.

difficult installs arent a big deal. i've installed debian, gentoo, *bsd, fedora...played with knoppix, etc.
but josh recommended freebsd, so i guess i'll go with that for now.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Rower_CPU said:
I strongly disagree. OS X is much more secure out of the box and avoids enabling features such as RPC that enable remote exploitation of the system. Yes, you can make yourself a lot more secure, but why has it taken MS until SP2 to address these settings that should be on/off by default? OS X is safer to use without having to dig through system settings.

The existence of security updates for OS X is a moot point - all OSes have them; it's a question of degree. How many of Apple's security updates address flaws that could allow a 3rd party control of a system? How many of Microsoft's? Food for thought.

RPC is a required component of the Windows operating system. Turning it off renders the system completely nonfunctional.

Again, as I mentioned above, I believe that OSX has as many security problems as Windows, its just, as you say, the degree. Windows has infinately more users than OSX, as such more problems have come up. If the virus writer / hackers of the world directed their attention at OSX instead of Windows, you would see the same number of problems arise, guarenteed.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Celeron said:
RPC is a required component of the Windows operating system. Turning it off renders the system completely nonfunctional.

Again, as I mentioned above, I believe that OSX has as many security problems as Windows, its just, as you say, the degree. Windows has infinately more users than OSX, as such more problems have come up. If the virus writer / hackers of the world directed their attention at OSX instead of Windows, you would see the same number of problems arise, guarenteed.

It's not just a numbers game it's about the severity of the flaw. "Security through obscurity" is a myth that cuts both ways - if there were flaws in OS X as bad as MS' they would be exploited, guaranteed.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Celeron said:
All this talk about registry problems and getting six viruses on a 15 day old XP install stem from poor user management, not inherently flaws in the operating system. All of these problems can be avoided quite simply by:
1. Using a firewall.
<snip>
Umm ive been using windows since 3.0, basically since i was born. dont give me **** like poor user management, because i am quit capable of using a damned computer. and yes, i have a firewall. and omfg, i dont even touch email and i have only downloaded two things: pearpc and a darwin install cd.
3. Most of the problems you have on the Windows platform is from 3rd party applications. The Mac comes with so much software built and installed by Apple, that most Mac users don't experience problems like these. I think we all know that if Microsoft started including additional applications like Mail, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, you would have even more companies screaming monopoly than there current are. I think its pretty clear that if Apple had the market share that Microsoft has, Apple would be in court over Safari instead of Microsoft and Internet Explorer.
Uhm okay. What did i install? office 2003. vs .net enterprise architect. iTunes. the damned security updates and service packs. miscellaneous software from theopencd, some antivirus software. Umm lets see...two apps from Microsoft, the updates from Microsoft. Those are NOT third party apps. And lets see...I don't use iCal or iSync, forget most of iLife. I actually use more third party apps on my Macs, for example Adium instead of iChat, SubEthaEdit and Office for TextEdit, CodeWarrior occasionally instead of Xcode, VLC and mplayer for QuickTime, LaunchBar instead of Finder occasionally, not to mention a whole slew of Adobe and Macromedia apps. Yes, Apple makes good software, but third party apps are just as good if not better than some of the stuff Apple does. And jeez, what do you think Outlook and Windows Movie Maker is?
Yes, thats obvious, but Apple doesnt release a security update every goddamned week. Maybe once for every minor update, if at all. Not one update for IE, then another for Outlook, then OMFG WINDOWS HAS A BIG HOLE OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OFMG. Okay i'm overexaggerating, but still.
Don't get me wrong, I dig my Mac, and I love OSX. I think OSX has Windows XP beaten by far in the usability department. Unfortunately, its the Mac zealot mentality that makes many Mac users look foolish when they spout off about PCs knowing little to nothing about them. The Mac platform is the way it is because Apple holds your hand the entire time you use it. Windows doesn't.
Urm and guess what i havent been pro Mac all my life, neither have i used only Macs. I know no OS is perfect, but guess what? You're acting just like a Windows zealot now. Apple doesnt hold your hand, Apple doesnt need to. Granted Apple has an easier time with their software, but Microsoft has more programmers, more money. Why can't they make quality software that is MORE inherently secure? Nobody said OS X is perfect, and nobody's complaining about it or releasing viruses for it because there arent a lot of users, but it would be nice if Microsoft spent more time fixing their problems than working on Longhorn. Meh, I'll reconsider installing any version of Windows after Longhorn is released, it looks quite sexy.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
übergeek said:
Umm ive been using windows since 3.0, basically since i was born. dont give me **** like poor user management, because i am quit capable of using a damned computer. and yes, i have a firewall. and omfg, i dont even touch email and i have only downloaded two things: pearpc and a darwin install cd.

Uhm okay. What did i install? office 2003. vs .net enterprise architect. iTunes. the damned security updates and service packs. miscellaneous software from theopencd, some antivirus software. Umm lets see...two apps from Microsoft, the updates from Microsoft. Those are NOT third party apps. And lets see...I don't use iCal or iSync, forget most of iLife. I actually use more third party apps on my Macs, for example Adium instead of iChat, SubEthaEdit and Office for TextEdit, CodeWarrior occasionally instead of Xcode, VLC and mplayer for QuickTime, LaunchBar instead of Finder occasionally, not to mention a whole slew of Adobe and Macromedia apps. Yes, Apple makes good software, but third party apps are just as good if not better than some of the stuff Apple does. And jeez, what do you think Outlook and Windows Movie Maker is?

Yes, thats obvious, but Apple doesnt release a security update every goddamned week. Maybe once for every minor update, if at all. Not one update for IE, then another for Outlook, then OMFG WINDOWS HAS A BIG HOLE OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OFMG. Okay i'm overexaggerating, but still.

Urm and guess what i havent been pro Mac all my life, neither have i used only Macs. I know no OS is perfect, but guess what? You're acting just like a Windows zealot now. Apple doesnt hold your hand, Apple doesnt need to. Granted Apple has an easier time with their software, but Microsoft has more programmers, more money. Why can't they make quality software that is MORE inherently secure? Nobody said OS X is perfect, and nobody's complaining about it or releasing viruses for it because there arent a lot of users, but it would be nice if Microsoft spent more time fixing their problems than working on Longhorn. Meh, I'll reconsider installing any version of Windows after Longhorn is released, it looks quite sexy.

If you only installed the apps you listed, and you are behind a firewall, how do you propose you got infected by said 6 viruses? Was it behind some divine virus infector? Either your firewall isn't working properly, or you did something wrong / installed an infected file. If you firewall works properly, you can bring up a completely unpatched Windows XP box and not have to worry about any viruses seemingly "jumping" onto the computer.

You say Apple doesn't hold your hand? If thats not the case, why can I not access any BIOS or other machine settings on my Powerbook. Why can't I install driver updates from Nvidia or ATI rather than waiting for Apple to release them? For the love of god, why is there only one mouse button?

I'm not trying to be a "windows zealot" I'm just trying to point out that the problems you have are not indicative of the typically Windows users experience.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
übergeek said:
haha thanks for the replies guys.
celeron: i am not joking about my virus dilemma and i'm not that biased when it comes to OSs, like i honestly think xp in some ways is better than os x, but now even those reasons to use xp are diminishing quickly. i'm just really frustrated with it right now.

difficult installs arent a big deal. i've installed debian, gentoo, *bsd, fedora...played with knoppix, etc.
but josh recommended freebsd, so i guess i'll go with that for now.

You said you installed antivirus, obviously it didn't do any good. What did you install? What virus' did you get? You said you haven't used email, so you either got them in downloaded software, I wouldn't rule out the open source cd, adware, or a rougue web site.

Virus' are sent by people, it's because of users sending them, and other users unknowingly installing them that there's a problem. The only secure OS is one that is not connected. Or one that is so obscure no one bothers with trying to damage it much. If you're tired ot the x86 platform because there are too many users who wish to do evil things, then I buy that. But WindowsXP is too insecure, etc. mmmmmrrrrgghhh... I don't think that's it.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
I'm going to have to chime in for SuSE 9.1 Pro.

I just got it in at work and it's quite streamlined and user-friendly.
I've already implemented it in my company's warehouse for running
5250 emulation as well as vt-220 emulation.

It comes with the 2.6 kernel, as well as the latest KDE (3.2) and GNOME (2.6?).

Installation was a snap except for choosing packages. That's where YAST (Yet
Another Setup Tool) is lacking still.

The other aspect that I am disappointed with is the amount of memory KDE now uses.
256MB is already overflowing by the time it gets entirely booted up. Just
make sure you have plenty of memory.

People are chiming in for Red Hat, but I lost my taste for them when they
turned the corner and became strictly enterprise.

Sure they contribute to Fedora, but only as a testing ground. Once new software is proven
running in Fedora, they implement it into their Enterprise server. Pretty smart, but still disappointing.

SuSE 9.1 is my current flavor of choice (I also enjoy Knoppix 3.4, Knoppix STD 0.1, and
Gentoo 2004.1) but I can't vouch for Mandrake 10, as I've never tried it out.

-jeff

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
MorganX said:
You said you installed antivirus, obviously it didn't do any good. What did you install? What virus' did you get? You said you haven't used email, so you either got them in downloaded software, I wouldn't rule out the open source cd, adware, or a rougue web site.

Most virus' aren't because of a flaw, it's because of users sending them, and other users unknowingly installing them. If you're tired ot the x86 platform because there are too many users who wish to do evil things, then I buy that. But WindowsXP is too insecure, etc. mmmmmrrrrgghhh... I don't think that's it.
i installed the antivirus apps after i noticed the speed. because i at least wanted to know what it was, and if i could remove it.

and btw, i honestly dont see the point of using Windows any longer. i swear i'm so ticked off right now i feel like sshing into the computer and installing any other OS right now. God, i'm not happy. I think the copy of MyDoom was from the disk image of my iBook's drive though, I had saved a few copies of it just for the heck of it. Still...that doesnt explain the others

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.