Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PSVita VS. 3DS VS. iPhone 4S

• Playstation Vita

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Nintendo 3DS

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • iPhone 4S

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other(Please specify)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

gcans

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Tough one to call, they all have their problems!

PS Vita
Everything about this machine is expensive.
It's huge and weighs a tonne.
(for europeans: no 32gb memory card)
Bad battery life.

The vita is not heavy at all, yes it's huge, but its still pocketable. I got to play with one at my local best buy and it was a lot lighter than i thought it would be.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Tough one to call, they all have their problems!

PS Vita
Everything about this machine is expensive.
It's huge and weighs a tonne.
(for europeans: no 32gb memory card)
Bad battery life.

The vita is not heavy at all, yes it's huge, but its still pocketable. I got to play with one at my local best buy and it was a lot lighter than i thought it would be.

It's not the kind of thing I'd put in my pocket. The DS was the last machine I could pocket. I've been using one for a long time now and after 20 or so minutes the weight really becomes an actual pain.
Bad analogue stick placements too. I still find myself occasionally pushing the analogue stick slightly when pressing square.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Now that I think about it....Why is the Vita so big...?

Someone needs to tell Sony, bulky is out and thin is in.

Tough choice. Gonna have to go with the iPhone on this one.

3D is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I'd much rather feast them on retina displays.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now that I think about it....Why is the Vita so big...?

It's big because there's a lot of tech in there, plus it is kind of comfy (if a little weighty). You can't have all that power and nowhere for the heat to go.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
But I mean, it's bigger than the older generation PSP.

How did they think people would respond to that?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA

It's all about technical "real estate" as I like to call it. The CPU and GPU being dedicated to gaming will most likely be running at full tilt vs. an iPhone which is a throttled down A4 for the sake of battery life and heat issues. My iPod Touch can get quite warm after a extended session of Infinity Blade.

Sure Apple does have a nice looking phone or even the iPod Touch as a game machine but it's limited to touch input.

The other thing to consider on the Vita's side is the physical controls as room had to be made on the device to accommodate those as well as the innards to utilize them. Even the 3DS could use a trimming (which will likely happen in the future when sales slow) and compare the launch DS to the DSi, not only was it smaller, but far more refined like many Apple products and the original PSP.

I'd like to get my hands on a Vita to really give it a close look. Not just an in-store demo unit, but one for me just so I can see just what's going in inside.

Much like my original iPad, it's size is huge compared to the tech that really drives it. Most of it is just pure battery and even more room to spare and why the iPad 2 lost a lot of weight in the process. :cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

They won't and haven't because it isn't an issue. It's big but not ridiculously so. You can easily drop it into a bag.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It's not really fair to compare the iPhone 4S... we all have one anyways. The real decision is Vita v. 3DS.

I went with Vita. Honestly, this device has been SO much fun to play with! The last gadget I pre-ordered was the Kindle Fire... and i was so disappointed. I though it was so dull and laggy It was on eBay pretty quickly. The Vita is SO MUCH FUN! The screen is beautiful, the games are great.

I wish they would make the Vita browser better. It's got the horsepower to power a good browser. They need some better devs on it! Just port chromium or something.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Having all three now, if I was given the option of only 1 of those devices period, I'd still choose the iPhone as there are many downloadable titles that are as good as escape plan and mutant blobs and cost less. Plus iat the end of the day it does so much more than the others. That's assuming you don't have a decent smartphone to begin with.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I traded in my Slim 360 250gb \ 30+ games / Kinect | 3DS & 5 games and got €725 trade in credit as there was an extra 25% for trade-ins when pre-ordering a vita.

Now I'm getting a Vita 3G, 16gb card, Uncharted, Lumines, Wipeout, Ultimate MVC, Rayman Origins, Army Corps From Hell & Everybody Golf..... + pre-order bonus kit headphones.

Sweet....

I noticed you're in Ireland. I'm in the England and would also like to trade in my 360 (Pro) and about 15 games...most still shrink wrapped because i never have time to veg out in front of a TV for hours. So i'd rather just sell it on. Don't want to do the ebay thing either cos its too much hassle.

Where did you trade yours in?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
It's not really fair to compare the iPhone 4S... we all have one anyways. The real decision is Vita v. 3DS.

I went with Vita. Honestly, this device has been SO much fun to play with! The last gadget I pre-ordered was the Kindle Fire... and i was so disappointed. I though it was so dull and laggy It was on eBay pretty quickly. The Vita is SO MUCH FUN! The screen is beautiful, the games are great.

I wish they would make the Vita browser better. It's got the horsepower to power a good browser. They need some better devs on it! Just port chromium or something.

Not everyone. I am still with my old BlackBerry which works fine for me. I would like to see a beefier iPod Touch though which (along with my iPad) is where I get my iOS gaming fix.

Still wanting a Vita, to see how it plays and feels in person as opposed to a greasy store demo unit. I like my 3DS but the screens really could have used a bigger push in resolution. (imagine the lower display being 640x480 as opposed to it's current 320x240). Crisp text would be a huge plus but Nintendo still manages to keep costs down and profits come in far sooner on hardware design in comparison to Microsoft and Sony. While Microsoft isn't in the handheld gaming business, they are trying to peek in the door with the Windows Phone and it's connection to XBL. Interesting approach I say.

As the systems mature, games will get better and in the end, it's all about what the consumer prefers. I love my 4th gen iPod Touch but it's battery is not very good for long play sessions and my fingers obscure my view of the on-screen action. The 3DS really has a great analog control and with the right devs, some amazing visuals for a lower resolution screen.

The videos I've seen of the Vita and impressions from friends are great, but once the "new gadget factor" wears off. I wonder if opinions may change.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I noticed you're in Ireland. I'm in the England and would also like to trade in my 360 (Pro) and about 15 games...most still shrink wrapped because i never have time to veg out in front of a TV for hours. So i'd rather just sell it on. Don't want to do the ebay thing either cos its too much hassle.

Where did you trade yours in?

GameStop here. They had a 25% extra trade in value offer for items traded in towards the vita. I got €200 alone for the 360 which was good.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The PSVita and 3DS are handheld gaming consoles.

The iPhone 4S is a phone.

Just because a phone has games does not qualify it to have the "gaming console" status. Pointless poll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.